Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early returns on Edwards are very good

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Early returns on Edwards are very good

I like Edwards. He has poise. He is accurate. He has nice throwing mechanics. He makes all the throws.

I was pretty sure from watching him that he was going to be a good player. The question I had is: how good? How high is the ceiling?

It is early, but based on the first couple games this season the ceiling may be quite high. Edwards is running the Bills offense with great efficiency, and you can see the confidence his teammates are developing in him.

You guys have been waiting a long time to get a QB to build around. All those years of yearning for the next Kelly. It seems you may have finally found the answer.

Granted, Edwards still has to prove he can keep it up over the long haul. There will undoubtedly be highs and lows along the way.

However, color me impressed. This kid may be ready to burst onto the scene.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Early returns on Edwards are very good

He has definitely been efficient, and we'll take that right now. If he turns into the next great Bills QB, even better.

Roways rooking ahread! Mitchy moo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

His pocket poise is uncanny. He literally stepped up from a reaching hand and fired a strike to Evans and on the very next play hit Hardy 11 feet in the air. What is not to like?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He's done what we all were hoping what JP would do...Mature and take his game to the next level. For the first time since Kelly I feel confident in the QB able to take the ball and go downfield to score when needed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He's starting to win me over.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Real Deal... his throws make me tear up.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats. BlackMetalNinja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I've been cautiously hesitant so far when it comes to being too pleased with him, just because we've been burned multiple times before... but I must say, the kid is growing on me on a weekly basis.

If he keeps up this consistency throughout the year, I'll be a very, very happy camper.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

he was a wasted pick!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NE39
    I like Edwards. He has poise. He is accurate. He has nice throwing mechanics. He makes all the throws.

I was pretty sure from watching him that he was going to be a good player. The question I had is: how good? How high is the ceiling?

It is early, but based on the first couple games this season the ceiling may be quite high. Edwards is running the Bills offense with great efficiency, and you can see the confidence his teammates are developing in him.

You guys have been waiting a long time to get a QB to build around. All those years of yearning for the next Kelly. It seems you may have finally found the answer.

Granted, Edwards still has to prove he can keep it up over the long haul. There will undoubtedly be highs and lows along the way.

The keys will definitely be whether he can stay on the field and maintain consistency over the course of the season.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Vision. I remember two plays, one in the 2nd quarter when Edwards was scanning downfield and a defender broke thru, he immediately dumped the ball to Lynch (or Jackson) on the flank; avoided a sack and gained a couple. The second is that long bomb to Evans in the 4th. Again he had Lynch on the flank but he waited until Evans got open.

This is almost Brady/Manning like, folks. He knows where his guys are and knows how much time he has and he chooses the best options.

I hate to bring Losman into the discussion but for comparison purpose, Losman would wait for Evans totally unaware of his other options nor how much time he has. Edwards of a year ago would go to the second option, or third option right away but now I feel the game has slowed down for him that he feels comfortable to pick and choose a little.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh

I hate to bring Losman into the discussion but for comparison purpose, Losman would wait for Evans totally unaware of his other options nor how much time he has. Edwards of a year ago would go to the second option, or third option right away but now I feel the game has slowed down for him that he feels comfortable to pick and choose a little.
    that was under Fairchild. Let it go. Comparisons then mean nothing under a different OC which had a downfield Martz system but was stupid about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,393 Times in 13,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not 100% sold on Edwards so far, but I will say two things:

1. He's definitely improving. He's smart, makes good decisions with the ball and feels the pressure.
    2. He doesn't make me nervous. For the first time in years, I can watch a Bills QB without thinking "Don't worry about the first down- PLEASE just don't turn the ball over or lose 20 yards!"

Dude's Little Ignorant Crony RockStar36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37

1. He's definitely improving. He's smart, makes good decisions with the ball and feels the pressure.
    2. He doesn't make me nervous. For the first time in years, I can watch a Bills QB without thinking "Don't worry about the first down- PLEASE just don't turn the ball over or lose 20 yards!"
    I agree.

Him just playing smart has impressed me. And the fact that he doesn't get rattled in a big situation.

I said it after the Washington game last year but the fact he could get them down the field for the FG attempt was huge. Some QB's would get rattled and crumble. He doesn't seem to notice and just plays.

The 3rd down pass to Evans was not only huge, but gutsy at the same time. It was a thing of beauty.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

On his throw to Shouman for a 1st down, Reed was open and all alone. Would've been a TD.

It was a great conservative decision by Trent but if you want to win sb's , Trent has to go for that pass to Reed and make it on a consistent basis. In time he will gain the confidence to do so. I want Trent to be a qb that goes for the kill.

He was awsome on 3rd downs .Usually a sign that he's gonna be clutch.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

so far so good. 20/25 is better than respectable.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 902 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    On his throw to Shouman for a 1st down, Reed was open and all alone. Would've been a TD.

It was a great conservative decision by Trent but if you want to win sb's , Trent has to go for that pass to Reed and make it on a consistent basis. In time he will gain the confidence to do so. I want Trent to be a qb that goes for the kill.
    I couldn't disagree more.

That pass resulted in a first down that virtually assured the win.

Reed has just broken free, and Shouman was wide open.

Unnecessary risk at that point in the game.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,692 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan

I disagree and somebody (I think LTBF) covered this already.

A pass to Reed would have had to been a perfect pass and catch. If it is not complete (or worse yet, is picked) the Bills are in trouble. The pass to Schouman keeps the clock running, gets a first down and puts the Bills in FG position. The long pass to Reed sounds good, but would have been an unnecessary gamble.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37

Op, you're 100% right, watching JP drop back was always like watching George Bush Jr. give a speech--I was always happy when he got through it without disaster. I haven't had that feeling about Trent since the first time he started. The guy looks like he's playing the game, instead of the game playing him.

I likewise have a ways to go before I'm ready to say he's the next Kelly. But this weekend was a good start. The passes to Lee and Hardy on the last drive were REALLY clutch for a 2nd year QB.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This is close to how I feel. There is more information to go on.
    They have built a team and offence to his stregths and Turk
    gives him a fighting chance. I am cautiously optimistic.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This is close to how I feel. There is more information to go on.
    They have built a team and offence to his stregths and Turk
    gives him a fighting chance. I am cautiously optimistic.