Was the Hardy TD a stoppable play defensively??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Was the Hardy TD a stoppable play defensively??

This may seem like a silly question but Hardy caught the ball quite high and came down with it in the corner. How tall of a defender do you need to stop this play or is this one of those we're pretty much going to score type plays?
  • Bulldog
    Top Dog
    • Jan 2003

Re: Was the Hardy TD a stoppable play defensively??

I think the only thing that stops that play is a bad throw from Edwards. Maybe rolling a safety over the top, but even then I don't know if that would have worked either.
    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Jaybird
      • Dec 2005

the pass was perfect, put it in a place where only the Wr could get it

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

What would have stopped it is if the DB would have shoved him out of bounds. As far as him catching it though I don't think any db would have been able to get up that high.

Comment

• gr8slayer
          • Feb 2005

That looked like someone blew their assignment.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
            This may seem like a silly question but Hardy caught the ball quite high and came down with it in the corner. How tall of a defender do you need to stop this play or is this one of those we're pretty much going to score type plays?
            that kind of TD can be stopped this season. All the defender has to do is push HArdy out of bounds which they changed the rule on this season. The wr's this season should start reaching/ jumping a little bit more inside in case he gets pushed.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• bigbub2352
              • Feb 2005

The only way to stop it is to interfere with the WR< or push him out of bounds, if he finds himself open and doesnt have to jump much it is unstoppable and that is the benefit of having a monster WR
              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                that kind of TD can be stopped this season. All the defender has to do is push HArdy out of bounds which they changed the rule on this season. The wr's this season should start his jump a little but more inside in case he gets pushed.
                Well the key in that instance is the timing of the defender hitting the player catching it, too early and it's a penalty.

Comment

• BuffRanger
                  • Sep 2004

It was easily defensible. Corner should have forgotten about the ball and just focused on pushing him out of bounds. Hopefully the Bills corners learn something from it.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

but the problem with focusing on pushing him out of bounds is that you need to man up on that throw. and if you do, you'll leave a gapping hole else where for a slot receiver/TE to sit low in the endzone or a RB from the screen to walk in.

I agree that pushing him out of bounds can stop it, but it has to be tight coverage. Hardy walked behind the zone. in a multiple receiver set, someone is going to be left open.

Comment

• cocamide
                      • Oct 2006

Because five times just wasn't enough... The corner can just push him out of bounds.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                        That looked like someone blew their assignment.

ya, kinda did. I think if someone perfectly timed their jump, they might be able to get their hand in their, but if Edwards throws that pass perfectly and Hardy can get his hands on it, I dont think many corners in the league are gonna be able to get up high enough to bat that away.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                          • Jul 2002

I believe that if we get into that situation again, Hardy is going to jammed at the line to take him away.
                          The others should be open though.

Given the camp reports about his difficulty getting out of jams, I'm surprised they didn't try it Sunday.

Comment

• Meathead
                            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                            • Jul 2002

if you watch that play the defender covering hardy tried to shove his hand in between hardys body and his hands to knock the ball away while hardy was still in the air. that means he was close enough to shove him out of bounds and if he had focused on that instead of trying to dislodge the ball he would have easily made hardy land with at least one foot oob

you watch as the season progresses defending that play by shoving will become more and more common and hardy/edwards are going to have to figure out how to avoid it. maybe hardy doesnt jump as high forcing the defender to choose between a failed shove oob or going for a deflection

frankly i dont like this new rule because it seems like its going to be too easy to just shove guys oob. then theres the whole judgment call by the refs when a receiver ends up getting carried oob to some degree. i know the nfl probably changed the rule to avoid putting refs in a position where they have to make a game deciding judgment on shoves oob, but they will still end up with the refs having to make a judgment call in some situations anyway, though probably not as many
                            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Akhippo
                              • Nov 2002

The NFL im sure is quite aware of the extent that the rule change will be carried out. If the DB can get under the WR and carry them out of bounds im sure it will not be looked down upon.

The DB was def. close enough to shove him out of bounds and should have. Our DBs need to learn that technique because it will save at least 3 touchdowns this year.
                              Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

Working...
                              X