X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Getting Close to See What kind of Team We Have

I think it was Belichick said that after 4 games, you found out what kind of team you have for the season. And I heard Cowher said something similar in the past - smokes cleared, one time thing went away, you get to know who you have, what you can do, and what you can't do.

For the Bills, the first thing people usually say is that they have the best special team. I'm not so sure. To say the least, the rest of the league is catching up to us. I think we are in the top 10. This unit may win us a game down the road, but it could easily lose a game for us as well. I don't like our coverage team. I don't know who is our gunner but we need him to step up because I hate to see the returner coming full steam for 15 yard before he makes any moves.

The defense looks to be a steady unit. They are playoff caliber even though they haven't been tested by a top shelf offense (Arizona, San Diego are just around the corner). However I won't put them as dominant in the category of the likes of Baltimore, Titans, etc. Those teams practically score points defensively to win games. I really believe the strength of our defense is now on D-Line. Stroud is heathy. Williams stepped up. Kelsay is far improved from last year. So every one of them can be the point of attack. Their backups, MaCargo, Johnson, Denney can easily be starters on a lot of teams, which means there is no let up on attacks from the D-Line throughout the game. I just hope they don't have any injury in the linebacker unit because we are a little bit thin there.

The offense is producing around 20 points a game, but this group is inconsistent. They are not playoff caliber yet but they did face 3 straight quality defensive units so far. I'm a little disappointed at the O-Line which is supposed to be the strength. Maybe too much moving around of pieces throughout the camp and games due to Peters holdout is the reason. I surely hope they round into form soon. The bright spot is Trent Edwards who is out-performing people's expectations. As the saying goes, if you get answers at quarterback position, you are in pretty good shape offensively. I remember clearly last year how he did the first 4 games compared to his last 4 games. And everybody is seeing the difference between the 3 games in 2008 compared to last year. If he holds up heathy, I could not imagine what he'll do the next 4 games and beyond. The upshot of that thinking is that the offense is going to improve just from the QB spot alone.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Getting Close to See What kind of Team We Have

I think we will continue to get better, both offensively and defensively. Edwards, with only 12 career starts, will gain in confidence, the O-line will improve as Peters returns to form, and Hardy and Schouman should begin making contributions fairly soon.

The D should also improve with Poz (still with only 5 full games under his belt) getting more comfortable, Ko teturning to his pre-injury self, and perhaps McKelvin contributing down the line.

With a young team, there is really nowhere to go but up.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

biggest weakness on the team is mediocre or worse run blocking. its not a glaring weakness but enough to be a liability at times against the best defenses. if the bills expect to have sustained success late in the season and into the playoffs they simply have to improve there

hard to fault too much for the rest of the team so far. plenty of things to find out as the season goes on, but each of the last two games has at least started nailing down the idea these bills may be real division contenders
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• raphael120
        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Meathead
        biggest weakness on the team is mediocre or worse run blocking. its not a glaring weakness but enough to be a liability at times against the best defenses.
        Just wait til November, December. It'll be a glaring weakness when the weather gets bad if we can't run worth ****.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
          The Voice of Reason
          • Jul 2007

Skies the limit with this team, and just like Marshawn says, "We're as good as we play on Sunday, and we've been playing good."
          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• RockStar36
            Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
            • Sep 2004

I think we'll know more by the bye week. They should handle St. Louis so if they struggle we'll know quite a bit about the team. They should also in theory beat Arizona, but who knows, sometimes those games are traps (PIT/ARZ last year) so if they come out of those two games looking good I think we're in for a really good year.

D & S Sports

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

I think how far we'll go comes down to how well our run blocking gets.

Against better teams, we have to run the ball more consistently, it'll open up everything else.

I dont know how much better our D can play.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• HAMMER
                I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by RockStar36
                I think we'll know more by the bye week. They should handle St. Louis so if they struggle we'll know quite a bit about the team. They should also in theory beat Arizona, but who knows, sometimes those games are traps (PIT/ARZ last year) so if they come out of those two games looking good I think we're in for a really good year.
                Arizona is going to be a very tough game. In the last 3 years, teams traveling coast to coast have only won 30% of the time.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

One thing that I think will gradually help the run blocking is a better passing game and Trent doing it in questionable weather.

Let's be honest - teams have not respected the pass and have crowded the line. They should start backing off now and will do so more if the Bills can make them pay.

One thing I still think is missing from the offense is going deep over the middle. They always go down the sideline. Send Hardy or Evans deep down between the safeties. I doubt there are many safeties that can keep up with Lee.
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                    • Jul 2005

biggest weakness on the team is mediocre or worse run blocking. its not a glaring weakness but enough to be a liability at times against the best defenses. if the bills expect to have sustained success late in the season and into the playoffs they simply have to improve there

hard to fault too much for the rest of the team so far. plenty of things to find out as the season goes on, but each of the last two games has at least started nailing down the idea these bills may be real division contenders
                    Agreed - the run blocking has to improve. Hopefully it's a matter of Peters getting in form and everyone settling into their positions after the preseason shuffle.

I haven't seen anything else that is a glaring weakness. Coverage unit have indeed been so-so, but not the end of the world. That probably should be expected after all the special teams guys we let go this offseason.
                    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      One thing I still think is missing from the offense is going deep over the middle. They always go down the sideline. Send Hardy or Evans deep down between the safeties. I doubt there are many safeties that can keep up with Lee.
                      ...or Roscoe.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

biggest weakness on the team is mediocre or worse run blocking
                        bingo.
                        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                          • Jul 2002

I agree with Meathead and Pat that our run blocking needs to improve considerably if we want to be successful later in the season. Trent hasn't shown himself to be a good poor weather passer, so we'll need to be able to run the ball well to succeed in the Ralph in November - December.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                            I think how far we'll go comes down to how well our run blocking gets.

Against better teams, we have to run the ball more consistently, it'll open up everything else.

I dont know how much better our D can play.
                            I think our D can play somewhat better. Poz and Ko still seem a little rusty and should improve as the season goes on, and I still think we will get something from McCargo.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by HAMMER
                              Arizona is going to be a very tough game. In the last 3 years, teams traveling coast to coast have only won 30% of the time.
                              Glad we are not traveling coast to coast!

But seriously, I don't think the travel will affect them much going out there.
                              You gain some daylight out there, and it's not really that long of a flight.

I don't expect them to have problems with the travel.
                              "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
                              --Leo Durocher

Comment

Working...
                              X