• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Whitner taking a big shot at JP?

"I'm very confident in Trent. In the past it was tough because you didn't know exactly what you were going to get from the offense. You didn't know if you were going to get points, so you almost had to play perfect on the defense side of the ball. And once you try to play perfect, you make mistakes.

"So with Trent out there I don't have any worries at all. I sit on the bench, drink a little water, a little Gatorade and I glance over at the scoreboard. We need him out there. I felt like if we had him for the entire game against Arizona we might be sitting here talking about a 6-0 football team instead of 5-1. I really believe that."

Thoughts? To me that sounds like Whitner letting his emotions get a little bit better of him and saying something that shouldn't have been said. I mean, what's it really going to do for Edwards? And how does that affect JP? And how is JP to feel if TE goes down and his team doesn't have the same amount of faith in him or themselves when he has to step in? People say that the team looked worse overall when JP was in against AZ. Well first off, its hard to play when the other team scores every drive, but second off, what if the dip in team play is the their own fault and not JP's?
    This is just what my in-depth team analysis is telling me. : )

(DISCLAIMER: Not trying to create JP vs. TE thread or rain on anyone's happy parade)

• Lexwhat
    • Feb 2005

Re: Whitner taking a big shot at JP?

Uh oh, don't tell Justa.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

i saw this in another thread. and i pointed out that what whitner said was exactly what i said prior. that the bills defense feels pressure to be perfect when jp is in. Justa nearly ripped my head off asking why i know that and to stop pretending i have sources.

and i said, it's not that i have sources, one can just tell that's the case. nice to get a little back up.

I've maintained that the praise the bills give Trent is exactly what they found lacking in JP.

my question is this, if whitner's feelings represent the majority of the players, what good is JP on this team?

Comment

• Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
        • May 2007

It's a bad shot from Whitner but who cares? In order to be a leader and gain the respect of your teammates you have to play good football. JP didn't, Trent is doing it.
        I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Comment

• Lexwhat
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by trapezeus
          i saw this in another thread. and i pointed out that what whitner said was exactly what i said prior. that the bills defense feels pressure to be perfect when jp is in. Justa nearly ripped my head off asking why i know that and to stop pretending i have sources.

and i said, it's not that i have sources, one can just tell that's the case. nice to get a little back up.

I've maintained that the praise the bills give Trent is exactly what they found lacking in JP.

my question is this, if whitner's feelings represent the majority of the players, what good is JP on this team?
          I was right there with you making that same argument.

The only reason JP is here is because we have no better option. Starting QBs are rare, and capable back-ups are even rarer.

I wanted Culpepper in the off-season, but I changed my mind as I thought about it more. Daunte is a big mouth and wouldn't know his role, and we definitely don't need that from Trent's backup.

Comment

• mchurchfie
            • Jul 2002

Whitner is 100% correct.
            My Band
            daveviterna.com

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

but if JP's only credit is that he HAS started games, why not let hamdan play. if the players don't already see that hamdan has a body of work that is nothing but failure, perhaps the team doesn't overthink on every play? is JP really better than hamdan if he didn't have all the snaps? i don't think so. When you play JP against a decent team, you are essentially conceding defeat.

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

Trent Edwards put on a clinic yesterday.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                  Unreachable Douche
                  • Jul 2002

10-21 with Jp starting the past 4 years
                  14-9 with someone else starting

It's really not hard to see what the main problem has been the past 4 years.

Comment

• hydro
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                    10-21 with Jp starting the past 4 years
                    14-9 with someone else starting

It's really not hard to see what the main problem has been the past 4 years.
                    Shhh! The QBs aren't the ones that win the games

Yet look what has happened to the Pats without Brady. Guess the QB is a integral part of the team
                    BERNIAC!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

Guys, it's a moot point. Anyone who thinks JP is better than Trent at this point is a moron, and it's a useless argument. Let's move on already.

Comment

• colin
                        Drew's my hero!
                        • Jul 2002

it's not just that trent is better than jp, he is obviously 2x the player that jp could ever be in his 15th game or so.

the thing is jp is so absolutely terrible and is such a headless chicken who can't do his job that the entire team loses confidence in him.

he's a total joke and everyone outside of a few billsfans knows it.

Comment

• don137
                          • Jul 2002

I am not blaming the Arizona loss on JP but JP showed he really is not that capable of a backup. Sure he will make the occasional great long ball throw but all the sacks, fumbles and bonehead plays he makes inbetween really kills a lot of drives.
                          I use to think if Trent went down with an injury JP would be able to fill in admirably. I do not feel that way any more and it is apparent some of the players feel that way as well.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by don137
                            I am not blaming the Arizona loss on JP but JP showed he really is not that capable of a backup. Sure he will make the occasional great long ball throw but all the sacks, fumbles and bonehead plays he makes inbetween really kills a lot of drives.
                            I use to think if Trent went down with an injury JP would be able to fill in admirably. I do not feel that way any more and it is apparent some of the players feel that way as well.
                            I agree 100%. I just don't understand why we didn't upgrade the backup QB position because where we stand now, if Trent goes down, we may not be able to keep the train on the tracks. JP is just not capable of winning consistently in this league.

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                              Guys, it's a moot point. Anyone who thinks JP is better than Trent at this point is a moron, and it's a useless argument. Let's move on already.
                              Yeah, no sense giving the football equivalent of the Flat Earth Society one more moment of attention. This post is too much.
                              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X