Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking the extra point vs going for two

I'm right, Miyagi is wrong. HAMMER's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Taking the extra point vs going for two

Several times this season DJ has kicked the extra point when I feel he should be going for two. I know there is a chart, but to me common sense says you try to make it a 7 point game vs a 6 point game.
    Last edited by HAMMER; 10-28-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Taking the extra point vs going for two

Um, that TD put us up 9.

16-7

Thanks
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,201 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY!
    Um, that TD put us up 9.

16-7
    in hammer land 16 - 7 = 6 apparently.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,218 Times in 13,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, if 1 gives you a six point lead and 2 gives you a 7 point lead, that means that 0 gives you a 5 point lead.

I think the reason they go for 1 when it's a 5 point lead before the XP is because if they don't get it, two FG's can win the game. If they get the one, then two FG's can only tie it and a TD is needed to win.

Plus, if it's late in the game and one team is up by 5 and the other team scores, that puts them up 1 before the XP. If the team goes for 1, a FG still beats them. If they go for 2, then a FG can only tie. If the first team is up by 6 rather than 5 before giving up a TD, then they can still come back to win with a field goal.

Long story short, being up by 5 is not an advantageous position because of the way scoring is done in football, and taking 1 is a higher percentage play than trying to get 2.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He meant 10 points instead of 9...

Trust me Hammer, I thought EXACTLY the same thing. I was screaming at the TV that they should go for 2 (I also screamed when they didn't go for it on 4th and goal in the 1st quarter).

They were smart earlier this year (I think against the Rams) when they went for the 2 pointer instead of the extra point. But for some reason, they didn't do that yesterday.

Majored in Home Economics billsfanone's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You miss the 2pt to go up by 5, then 2 fgs you lose.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So you chase the points on the chance to go up 10?

When we showed earlier in the game we couldn't punch it in from that distance on 3 straight tries?

Then we miss that 2 point conversion and only stay up 8!

Going up 9 is more important than being up 8....two possession game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think Jauron will always go for 1 if a) there's enough time for the opponents to get two FG's, or b) if we're down but still have time to come back. Yes, it's nice to see 10 point leads and 7 point leads versus 9 and 6, but they can come back to haunt you.

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

ya some calls Jauron makes we can argue with, but with all that Ivy league education in our coaching staff, I'll leave it to them to determine what is statistically the play to make as far as XP's and 2 pt. conversions go.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    Well, if 1 gives you a six point lead and 2 gives you a 7 point lead, that means that 0 gives you a 5 point lead.
    We were up 15 to 7 before the extra point. I would've gone for 2. Did you remember earlier this year when we went for 2 against the Rams? It was a great decision. We need to be aggressive on the road.

If you remember, the Dolphins had a penalty on that extra point attempt too. Instead of tacking those 5 yards to the end of the kickoff, we could've accepted that penalty differently (half the distance to the goal) and went for the 2 point conversion from the 1 yard line.

If they didn't like the 2 point conversion from the 2 yard line, then why didn't they try again from the 1 yard line? Makes no damn sense to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,201 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Lexwhat
    We were up 15 to 7 before the extra point. I would've gone for 2. Did you remember earlier this year when we went for 2 against the Rams? It was a great decision. We need to be aggressive on the road.

If you remember, the Dolphins had a penalty on that extra point attempt too. Instead of tacking those 5 yards to the end of the kickoff, we could've accepted that penalty differently (half the distance to the goal) and went for the 2 point conversion from the 1 yard line.

If they didn't like the 2 point conversion from the 2 yard line, then why didn't they try again from the 1 yard line? Makes no damn sense to me.
    so you could gurantee it's a two possession game and you would risk leaving it where one possession could tie it up. That's not too smart IMO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY!
    So you chase the points on the chance to go up 10?

When we showed earlier in the game we couldn't punch it in from that distance on 3 straight tries?
    This is incorrect. It was only 1 attempt from the 1 yard line, and Fred Jackson ran it that time.

1st and Goal from the 5 yard line: Jackson gains 1 yard.
    2nd and Goal from the 4 yard line: Jackson gains 3 yards.
    3rd and Goal from the 1 yard line: Jackson gains 0 yards.
    4th and Goal: Field goal.

I would've run Marshawn Lynch. Hell, even Corey Mcintyre !!

Thanks
    Thanked 26,218 Times in 13,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Lexwhat

I see your point, but I'm sure the coaches didn't want to take points off the board after the XP already went through. Still, at that stage of the game, you have to go for it. Even if you fail, it would still take a touchdown and a 2-point just to tie.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0
    so you could gurantee it's a two possession game and you would risk leaving it where one possession could tie it up. That's not too smart IMO.
    It depends on who the opponent is and what the situation is.

The Bills were actually running the ball effectively against the Dolphins. If we accepted that penalty differently on Miami, we would have gotten the extra point attempt at the 1 yard line.

Our O-Line is so big, and I think we could have gotten a push against the Dolphins D-Line. Put in a tough runner like Lynch or McIntyre, and I think we could have gotten 1 yard.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    I see your point, but I'm sure the coaches didn't want to take points off the board after the XP already went through. Still, at that stage of the game, you have to go for it. Even if you fail, it would still take a touchdown and a 2-point just to tie.
    When the game started, I was fully prepared to see the Bills lose. It's a tough divisional road game, and Miami is coached very well (better than the Jets). The Dolphins are a young, motivated, and hungry team that believes in each other. Meanwhile, the Jets have a bunch of overpaid vets, and I don't think Mangini has developed good team chemistry. I think we win easily next weekend.

So anyways, when I watched the game, I knew we had to be aggressive to beat the Dolphins. The way we beat the Raiders is the same way the Dolphins beat us. The Dolphins stay calm and are capable of getting back into the game. That's the reason I wanted to go for it on 4th and 1 in the 1st quarter, and also for that 2 pointer.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,010 Times in 4,236 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You ALWAYS kick the extra point when it guarantees you are up by 2 scores. No coach anywhere would go for 2 when they are already up by 8, it's ******ed.

Dude's Little Ignorant Crony RockStar36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm with HAMMER on this one.

Nobody seems to go for 2 anymore when it makes perfect sense. I've seen it multiple times throughout the league and a few times with the Bills. They should've gone for 2 to make it 17-7 when they had the chance.

Watching the Bills suck since 1999 DBrown77's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

never chase the points unless you have to.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's pointless to argue. Our ass got handed to us either way.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,333 Times in 2,072 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

leading by 8 = 1 score lead
    leading by 9 = 2 score lead
    leading by 10 = 2 score lead

as a result, if you score a TD, and are leading by 8, you KICK the extra point, you don't go for 2.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!