Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early prediction for the 53 man opening day roster (plus PS): LONG

clumping platelets

Thumbs up Early prediction for the 53 man opening day roster (plus PS): LONG

Let's start some football talk, after all, this is a football website

I'm going to make an early prediction of what the 53 man roster will look like come 9/8/02.......I will not predict any candidates for IR. The cap really isn't much of a concern, if at all, thus decisions should be based more on talent this season

QB(3) Bledsoe, Van Pelt, T. Brown: First two are obvious, Travis Brown, David Priestley, and David Dinkins are fighting it out over the 3rd QB spot. Salary cap is NOT an issue here. I think Travis Brown wins out. He didn't look all that bad in Miami after AVP was knocked out. He's had some game experience and that's the determining factor. Priestley and Dinkins are possibilities for the PS

TE(3) Riemersma, D. Moore, McDonnell : Jackson's legal problem is the last straw and he's due $563,000 as he was tendered and signed the minimum qualifying offer. He really hasn't shown enough. O' Leary and McDonnell will compete for the #3 TE spot with the other a distinct possibiity for the PS

WR(6) Moulds, P. Price, J. Reed, C. Johnson, Germany, C. Rogers : Yes, I know Rogers has some legal issues, but I think that he will play this season and the matter will be dealt....aren't they all. It's not as serious as 7th rd pick, Rodney Wright, who I suspect the Bills to relinquish his draft rights very soon. McDaniel has none NOTHING to impress the new regime. He will be giving a chance in TC, but I think Germany beats him out. Out the remaining TC fodder WRs, at least one will be considered for the PS (Coleman. Rone, R. Allen, or M. Jackson).

RB(4) Henry, Huntley, Morris, Alexander : I believe Bryson will be traded. If they can't trade him, either Morris or Alexander will be released. Maybe Morris could be traded, but Bryson has more marketability. If in doubt, go with the "new regime" people like Huntley. Don't see any possiblities for the PS unless they sign a player after cut down day.

FB(2) Centers, Crosby : I guess it's possible that Bryson stays and Morris is the #2 FB. I personally haven't been overly impressed with Crosby, but it appears the coaching staff likes him. Ferguson is a strong possibility for the PS

OL(9) Starting (LOT Teague, LOG R. Brown, C Jennings, ROG Ostroski, ROT Mike Williams) Reserves (G/T Sullivan, G/T M. Price, C Conaty, G Hulsey). The only spot really up for grabs potentially is ROG where Marques Sullivan could unseat Ostroski. Ostroski MAKES the team due to his versatility and experience at literally every position. Carman and Farris could make it as the #10 OL at OT and Pucillo or Early are candidates for PS

K/P(2): Think it's obvious that Hollis is the PK and doesn't appear that Moorman has any challengers. In his defense, it was his first year in Buffalo AND he was coming from NFL Europe. Full off-season of rest should help him improve, as can the veteran presence of Hollis.

DL(9): Starters(LDE Veteran like Chidi Ahanatou, LDT Robertson, RDT P. Williams, RDE Schobel) Reserves DE/DT Denney, DE Office, DT S. Price, DT Edwards, DT Bannan. I believe Larsen, Fisher and Flowers(one will end up in SD) will need to find fresh starts elsewhere. Maxie's experience in the CFL could help, but I think the eventual re-signing of Shawn Price will send him back to the CFL. I'm not sure if he can be placed on the PS. Bannan will make the final roster because he would likely be claimed. Grant Irons could be a darkhorse if no veterans are added or if coaching staff goes with one less player on offensive side of ball, but he will probably go on the PS

LB(6): Starters(SOLB Newman, MLB Fletcher, WOLB Robinson) Reserves Spoon, F. Jones, Polk. The flexibility and every down nature of the starters makes it unlikely that 7 will be kept. If 7 LBs are kept, then #7 will be a special teams standout...or have someone on the PS that can be added to the roster. No one else stands out at this time

DB(9): Starters(LCB Clements, SS Jenkins, FS Prioleau, RCB Winfield) Reserves CB Watson, CB K. Thomas, SS Wire, S Tillman, S Driver . No one else on the roster jumps out, but someone will undoubtedly be added to the PS. Bills could continue to upgrade depth, especially at S.

PS: DE Grant Irons, WR Clarence Coleman, FB Jarrett Ferguson, G Mike Pucillo, LB D. Stevenson

Man of the People
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    what about our new 300 lb punter?
    Thank you.

Man of the People
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Chidi Ahanatou as a starter? i hope not!

clumping platelets
    Then, by all means, offer your opinions....not one liners

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    good analysis cp. i see a few things differently :

1.te - o'leary over mcdonnel, can long snap.
    2.fb - ferguson over crosby, special teams edge.
    3. ol - early gets cut outright. no p.s.
    4. lde - no ahanatou. to tart the season will be the winner of training camp battle between fisher and flowers. the loser is gone. and agreed could very well end up in san diego.
    5. lb - polk gets cut. stevenson makes team. will be a special teamer.

clumping platelets
    McDonnell has long-snapping experience

Need to keep Polk over Stevenson because of experience.....if keep 7 LBs, then Stevenson could make team

I think Bills will realize that it will be essential to add some veteran depth on the DL soon

Thanks for your comments :)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Only disagreement is with Mcdaniel. I think he stays and rogers goes.

McDaniel is an untapped resource who has played his role quietly, I think that is what GW and TD are looking for... Role players who are quiet until called upon.

clumping platelets
    Can't really argue much with that, however, if Rogers' situation can be resolved, then I think he makes the team

I bet he was sloshed and didn't realize his mistake

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    rogers is going no where. cop punching and all, he is the returner. polk is from the old regime, they won't cut their draft pick to keep him.imo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    you bet he was sloshed.... i guarantee he was. like the greise incident at that denver party a couple of weeks back.

clumping platelets
    Polk has playing experience. Stevenson doesn't. Bills have depth concerns if one of the OLBs get injured. That's why I have Polk over Stevenson

in charge of you
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I think McDaniel stays and C. Johnson goes. Other than that, I like it.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

clumping platelets
    Geez thanks LOG

Registered User JefftheBillsfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Great thread, good work and analysis.
    Its all about the quest.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Clump - some good choices but I don't think that the mix is right: six wide outs plus 4 running backs? Last year it was five and three. I can see adding one body between the two positions but not two - it cuts into defensive depth. I think that they trade Bryson for whatever they can get for him and cut Alexander. Rodgers has the flexibility to give us some speed at running back when we need it. Germany and Johnson are on the bubble depending on whether we keep six linebackers or seven.

Don't like the mix in the defensive backfield either - how many teams keep only four corners (we had five last year)? This position should mirror the typical number of receivers that the opposition has (five). None of our Safties are good enough cover men to fill in. I don't know who the fifth corner will be but you do need five - if you keep four and only one goes down you are hurting. Driver goes.

I think you need seven backers (like last year) not six, but it will come down to whether our 7th backer is better than our 6th receiver. Backers are the heart of the special teams. Jones could be gone if Cotton shows he can play special teams. Its up to Stevenson to beat out the 6th receiver.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

My turn

Qb: Bledsoe, AVP, Preistley-whiel Brown showed nothing bad in the game he played in he also didnt show anything good. He had a very average day and this Priestly kid I think could be a great backup in the league. He has a solid arm and comes from a good program at Pitt, He had good recievers (English, Bryant), and a solid back.

RB: Henry, Huntley, Alexander, Rogers-Curtis earned his spot here on the team after his great campaign in NFLE. Barring an absolute horrid camp I feel as though he may be a lock to beat out Sammy Morris. I also think we will deal Bryson and cut Morris. Rogers makes it do to ST ability. Besides the cop probably deserved it. j/k

FB: Centers, Ferguson-Feguson beats out Crosby for this spot and is groomed as Centers replacement. The Sporting News said Ferguson had best hands in the draft class.

WR: Moulds, Price, Reed, Germany, Johnson, Wright-Yes I know Rodney has had some legal problems but surprsingly enough I could see him being invited to camp and if he can beat out McDaniel, which I happen to see as a thing he can do.

TE: Moore, Rimersma, McDonnel-O'leary aint a great blocker or pass catcher, McDonnel can block.

OL:Teague, R. Brown, Jennings, Ostroski, Mike Williams Sullivan, M. Price, Hulsey, Pucillo-Mike Pucillo beats out Bill Contany for a roster spot as the center posistion is pretty full with Jennings there and Ostroski capable of playing it.

K/P:Hollis, Moorman-no arguments

DL: Denney, Adams, Irons, Maxie, Robertsson, Williams, Edwards, Office, Bannan- I dont see Shaun Price signing not with the knowledge that Adams and other FA's will soon lower there contract demands to get into camp early. I see a good line of Denney Williams Adams Office, Maxie and Irons make it based on great camp performances

LB: Newman, Fletcher, Robinson, Spoon, Stevenson, Jimmy Robinson-Polk I think is a bust Stevenson brings tremendous energy to ST, he did at Tennesee and seems to love playing it. Jimmy Robinson I have liked and he had a solid season in NFLE.

DB: Winfield, Clements, Prioleau, Jenkins, Wire, Thomas, Watson, Bostic, Driver-Tillman gets the ax, Bostic fromer GT cb makes it for depth reasons

Just my thoughts
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

clumping platelets
    Where's Schobel??

Irons is a rookie FA.......he's not gonna start

I think the Bills will rescind the draft rights to Wright

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

finally some football talk!

I think McDaniel stays and Johnson goes. McDaniel may not have done anything on the field to impress the coaching staff on the field because of injury last season but McDaniel was always the last person to leave practice last season. The coaching staff stated they were impressed with his work ethic. McDaniel has shown promise with his play in 2000-2001. Johnson is a bust who is only sticking around in this league because he was a former first round selection.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by clumping platelets
    Where's Schobel??

Irons is a rookie FA.......he's not gonna start

I think the Bills will rescind the draft rights to Wright
    Damnit I knew somebody was forgotten, Ok then take out Maxie and put in Schoebel. And CP where did you see me saying Irons was gonna start? I said:

"I see a good line of Denney Williams Adams Office, Maxie and Irons make it based on great camp performances"

No where did it say Irons would start.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    gotta agree with winfield. c'mon cp ,get your **** together.