Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking the extra point vs going for two

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Taking the extra point vs going for two

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral
    What? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You ALWAYS kick the extra point when it guarantees you are up by 2 scores. No coach anywhere would go for 2 when they are already up by 8, it's ******ed.
    Absolutely correct.

Show me a coach ANYWHERE tht would go for two there and I'll show you a coach who isn't employed very long.

I'm sure glad many of you are not making decisions on the Bills sidelines on Sundays. Wow.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Lexwhat
    It depends on who the opponent is and what the situation is.

The Bills were actually running the ball effectively against the Dolphins. If we accepted that penalty differently on Miami, we would have gotten the extra point attempt at the 1 yard line.

Our O-Line is so big, and I think we could have gotten a push against the Dolphins D-Line. Put in a tough runner like Lynch or McIntyre, and I think we could have gotten 1 yard.

it does not depend on who the opponent is. as was previously stated, not making it a two score game is quite silly.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral
    What? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You ALWAYS kick the extra point when it guarantees you are up by 2 scores. No coach anywhere would go for 2 when they are already up by 8, it's ******ed.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. I can't believe there are actually people here that would even consider going for two in that situation. Even a moran knows to kick the extra point there.

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,709 Times in 3,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So much can happen during the course of a game that it is always practical to take the one until it becomes absolutely necessary late in the game. There are several ways that a team can lose in regulation by one point if a coach decides to go for 2 at the end of a half or 3rd quarter and fails.

I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats. BlackMetalNinja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You do not go for 2 until you have to go for 2. Pretty common mantra for coaches, especially NFL coaches.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Judging by this thread I wanna throw my name in the hat for next Buffalo Bills coach when Dick is done.

I vow to NEVER punt. I will design every series to contain 4 plays to pick up 10 yards. I don't care where I am on the field but I'm not punting, ever.

I vow to NEVER kick fieldgoals, unless I need one to tie or win the game at the end of regulation.

I vow to NEVER kick XPs either. I mean if my players can't get two yards we only deserve 6 points.

I will carry only a punter on my roster, he can kick field goals if necessary - in my end game scenario and kick off. That means I will sign some big fat guy who takes 5 guys to tackle him, that way I never ever don't get those 2 point conversions or get stuffed on 4th and short.

Who would be interested in me as a head coach?

I'm right, Miyagi is wrong. HAMMER's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My example from Sundays game was a bad one, I just edited it, some of you know what I am getting at. There have been at least two cases this year where the extra point only puts us up by 6. Why would you not go for two in that instance? Jauron has done it twice this year, we have won both games but why not go for two and ensure a TD and an extra point doesn't beat you?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER
    My example from Sundays game was a bad one, I just edited it, some of you know what I am getting at. There have been at least two cases this year where the extra point only puts us up by 6. Why would you not go for two in that instance? Jauron has done it twice this year, we have won both games but why not go for two and ensure a TD and an extra point doesn't beat you?
    Because there is a lot of time left on the clock and infinate possibilities where you will need a point more than two points. Think of it this way...you have a 50/50 shot at getting two and 99.9% shot at getting the one. You score 35 tds a year. Which choice renders more points?

Going for 2: 6 * 35 + 17.5 = 227.5

Going for 1: 6 * 35 + 34.5 = 244.5

I hope you can see what I did there without too much difficluty. Now, consider these observations are in the exact situation you are talking about over and over. You score more points overall by going for one. You go for one unless 2 points are absolutely needed near the end of the game when there isn't going to be much more scoring.