when you can you officially label a player a bust??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

when you can you officially label a player a bust??

All the Jauron talk lately takes away from a horrible job a lot of our players have done.

But after three years, I think its time to examine and ask; when can you officially call a player a bust?

If the time limit is three years, I would like to formally nominate Donte Whitner as a “bust.”

When you’re a safety and your picked anywhere in the first round, particularly in the Top 8 of the draft, it has to be because you bring big-play ability to a defense. I’m sure the F.O. envisioned Whitner becoming a game changer who carries a big stick; in the mold of a Brian Dawkins and Bob Sanders.

Well, after doing some stat research, this is what Whitner has accomplished for Buffalo, after 43 career starts spanning three seasons now.

Interceptions: 2
    Sacks: 1
    TD’s Scored: 0
    Passes Defended: 7 (that’s fn’ PATHETIC!)
    Forced Fumbles: 2
    Fumble Recoveries: 0
    Tackles Behind the Line in 2008 : ZERO

Look at those numbers, they do not lie. That is absolutely horrendous. I’ll bet there are 25 or more starting SS (or FS for that matter) in the NFL over the past three years who have far better numbers than that.

Brian Dawkins had two forced fumbles in about 3 minutes Sunday. WHitner has two in his CAREER. You’re telling me he’s never recovered a fumble and has picked off two passes in his career? HE didn’t have a single tackle behind the line this year? Not even one?

The most brutal stat of all is passes defended. He defends an average of 2 and a third passes per year. Basically, he’s great at tackling the guy after he catches the ball 10-15 yards in front of him.

Anyway, Im tired of this guy taking very little heat for how weak this defense is.. He’s supposed to be a leader, and he certainly proved he can run his mouth like one. . But as the numbers show, he hasn’t done jack **** on the field for three years running now.

Which leads again to my question.. When does he become a bust officially??

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Bling
    • Jul 2004

Re: when you can you officially label a player a bust??

The second he was drafted.

Comment

• billsfanone
      Majored in Home Economics
      • Sep 2008

When I think bust, I think total worthlessness, like Mike Williams and JP Loseman. I'd call Whitner a severe disappointment. At least he's serviceable.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Yeah, I'm with bf1 on this one. It depends on how you define "bust." I consider a bust to be a player who is completely worthless. I don't think Whitner is completely worthless. And he is limited by the system so he'll never have Bob Sanders or Troy Polamalu numbers.

But that being said, Whitner is very disappointing and has never lived up to his potential or to being the #8 pick. People here love to defend the guy, but he's just not a playmaker.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
          Yeah, I'm with bf1 on this one. It depends on how you define "bust." I consider a bust to be a player who is completely worthless. I don't think Whitner is completely worthless. And he is limited by the system so he'll never have Bob Sanders or Troy Polamalu numbers.

But that being said, Whitner is very disappointing and has never lived up to his potential or to being the #8 pick. People here love to defend the guy, but he's just not a playmaker.
          I agree. I think Whitner is a very good safety (numbers don't tell the whole story), and a great locker room presence. He would have been a very good pick in Round 2.

But as the #8 pick in the whole draft, I'd agree that he's a disappointment.
          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by oceros
            When I think bust, I think total worthlessness, like Mike Williams and JP Loseman. I'd call Whitner a severe disappointment. At least he's serviceable.
            Agreed.

McCargo and JP Losman are busts. Mike Williams was a bust. Whitner is ok, but not a bust since he is servicable (but obviously the Bills squandered that high pick on a marginal talent).

Comment

• bigbub2352
              • Feb 2005

Donte Whitner is not only a bust, he sucks at alot of things other than INTs, he is terrible against the run, he arm tackles he is slow in getting over the top in coverage, and he also is not any were near as physical as advertised,
              Whitner was another horrible pick by the Levy regime, i know i argued this in the past wit DraftBoy, but im sorry i would luv to have Ngata instead and Mangold instead of loser McCargo

Whitner straight up sucks, maybe he would have been better at CB
              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

he sucks, I dont care what anybody says.
                He didnt even have a single tackle for a loss the ENTIRE YEAR! NOT ONE!
                ****, Bryan Scott had 6.5, in fact he led the team.

I could make an EASY argument that Scott is a better safety.

Maybe 'bust' is a harsh word.. But totally irrelevent is definitely not, and that's exactly what Whitner is.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• thenry20
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                  All the Jauron talk lately takes away from a horrible job a lot of our players have done.

But after three years, I think its time to examine and ask; when can you officially call a player a bust?

If the time limit is three years, I would like to formally nominate Donte Whitner as a “bust.”

When you’re a safety and your picked anywhere in the first round, particularly in the Top 8 of the draft, it has to be because you bring big-play ability to a defense. I’m sure the F.O. envisioned Whitner becoming a game changer who carries a big stick; in the mold of a Brian Dawkins and Bob Sanders.

Well, after doing some stat research, this is what Whitner has accomplished for Buffalo, after 43 career starts spanning three seasons now.

Interceptions: 2
                  Sacks: 1
                  TD’s Scored: 0
                  Passes Defended: 7 (that’s fn’ PATHETIC!)
                  Forced Fumbles: 2
                  Fumble Recoveries: 0
                  Tackles Behind the Line in 2008 : ZERO

Look at those numbers, they do not lie. That is absolutely horrendous. I’ll bet there are 25 or more starting SS (or FS for that matter) in the NFL over the past three years who have far better numbers than that.

Brian Dawkins had two forced fumbles in about 3 minutes Sunday. WHitner has two in his CAREER. You’re telling me he’s never recovered a fumble and has picked off two passes in his career? HE didn’t have a single tackle behind the line this year? Not even one?

The most brutal stat of all is passes defended. He defends an average of 2 and a third passes per year. Basically, he’s great at tackling the guy after he catches the ball 10-15 yards in front of him.

Anyway, Im tired of this guy taking very little heat for how weak this defense is.. He’s supposed to be a leader, and he certainly proved he can run his mouth like one. . But as the numbers show, he hasn’t done jack **** on the field for three years running now.

Which leads again to my question.. When does he become a bust officially??

It's more than that. The dumb **** is supposed to be a leader but blames backup players for the entire woes of the team.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by thenry20
                    It's more than that. The dumb **** is supposed to be a leader but blames backup players for the entire woes of the team.
                    don't forget his playoff guarantee or his tackling a guy 8 yards deep into the endzone.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

I'm not sure what the highlight of Donte's season is anymore...

I thought he wouldn't be able to top the Johnnie Lee Higgins, I tackle you eight yards deep for no reason play would be hard to top.

Then he gets ran over like roadkill by Sammy Morris.

Tough to say. Call it a tossup.

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

He was destined for stardom from the get-go until he had his INT in his first game against the Patsies called back. He hasn't done **** since. Oh wait, he did become Lamont Jordan's little ***** the other day...

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by oceros
                          Exactly.

Comment

• Bling
                            • Jul 2004

I remember that being a Safety deep draft. How'd that turn out? I know that Whitner's been a disappointment, and Jason Allen has more than deserved the title bust.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                              • Aug 2002

He is Sammy Morris' ***** so he has that going for him..

Comment

Working...
                              X