Thread: Davonne Bess

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Davonne Bess

It may be a Dolphin related story, but a pretty good story of achievement despite having very tough obstacles/situations growing up. The story really parallells with how he's been playing far above his undrafted rookie WR position.

"There was times my mom was in a room breaking down, crying, going crazy trying to figure out how to pay the bills and stuff. Knowing all the negativity my family had grown up in, there was almost no way out of our situation. This was in Oakland, California. I should tell you I was the first person in my family to go to college. I was the first person on my dad's side of the family that went to high school. That kind of gives you an idea of the type of family I grew up in. And my grandma was really supportive of my mom, but it's crazy because my grandma was actually pregnant at the same time as my mom. I'm the same age as my auntie. So [my grandma] couldn't really take care of me like she really wanted to because she had her own to take care of. so my mom was a kid -- a kid raising two kids.
    "I didn't get drafted. And it was frustrating. But I didn't give up. I knew whatever team I was going to, I was going to give my all and give my best. I set specific goals for myself when Miami signed me. They called me in the fifth round and I thought that was going to be my round. But they said they didn't have any other picks and had to use their picks on, like, a lineman or a running back or something. So I was, like, OK. Then right after the draft my phone was ringing off the hook. Like 12 teams called me after the draft but I had actually verbally committed to coming to Miami during the seventh round. So I ended up saying, 'I'm just going to go to Miami.' I did know the situation and I felt this was the best spot for me to come in and contribute
    BESS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Davonne Bess

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

May be my new favorite Dolphin. I knew after playing with him on Madden, I was going to like this guy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Great value for a UFA. Looks like a solid low 3rd-top 4th atm

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

he was one of my fantasy studs for the fantasy playoffs

j-e-t-s
    jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats. BlackMetalNinja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Definitely impressed me this season since I knew nothing about him before hand. That might be the most impressive part of what the Dolphins have done this year... you look at their WRs and mostly go who???

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMetalNinja
    Definitely impressed me this season since I knew nothing about him before hand. That might be the most impressive part of what the Dolphins have done this year... you look at their WRs and mostly go who???
    the team isn't comprised with a lot of superstars-- in some areas, not by a long shot. That's been the fun thing this year, and also one of my thoughts to why Tony Sparano should be a huge consideration for coach of the year. Taking the players he had, constantly making changes to the roster (from Ireland and co.) and getting the most out of his team. I probably couldn't make any arguments to whomever gets the award, but I think Sparano as done a lot more w/ a lot less compared to some of the other coaches in question--Harbaugh, Smith, Belechick (even though you'd have to commend Belly for having to deal w/ some major injury losses to the team.)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by !Papacrunk!
    the team isn't comprised with a lot of superstars-- in some areas, not by a long shot. That's been the fun thing this year, and also one of my thoughts to why Tony Sparano should be a huge consideration for coach of the year. Taking the players he had, constantly making changes to the roster (from Ireland and co.) and getting the most out of his team. I probably couldn't make any arguments to whomever gets the award, but I think Sparano as done a lot more w/ a lot less compared to some of the other coaches in question--Harbaugh, Smith, Belechick (even though you'd have to commend Belly for having to deal w/ some major injury losses to the team.)
    yeah but this was essentially a team of people thinking of a rebuilding season, and what they have done is simply mind boggling.....

after seeing them in person last week, i seriously think they can beat baltimore this week, and then depending on the cards falling, can beat pitt or tenn any given day.

outside of ronnie brown, joey porter, and say ricky/ted ginn, etc..... there aren't exactly superstars on the team, and well....... they play as a team, bought in to the sparano creed of it being a team (parcells based), and pretty much they are having fun doing so. kudos to them

Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 2,016 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Its nice to see someone bust their ass all their life and get rewarded for it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike13
    Its nice to see someone bust their ass all their life and get rewarded for it.
    indeed, i just hope he stays as humble as he has been, and surrounded by players like ronnie brown and pennington, and a coach like sparano, he should be fine