Thread: Parcells staying in Miami

Thanks
    Thanked 3,083 Times in 2,018 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Parcells staying in Miami

I saw it last night on ESPN's ticker, it was also reported on the NFLN during Gameday Final.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Parcells staying in Miami

I hardly think Parcells telling the owner he plans to stay means anything. The guy is notorious for lying during negotiations, just look at what happened in Atlanta when he leveraged them to get the Miami deal. He knows how to build a football team, but he also is going to get every last dollar he can for himself, as he has throughout his career. Why do you think the thing about his contract leaked last week? That was Tuna floating out there.

I'd be shocked if Parcells didn't opt out of his Miami deal, take his remaining $9M and then go out and find himself the best possible deal he can. Maybe Ross steps up and signs Parcells to a new deal, but I can guarantee if that happens Parcells isn't leaving money on the table. Most likely, Ross brings in his buddy Carl Peterson and Parcells takes his money and goes elsewhere.

With the rumors of Peterson being hired coming the week after the Parcells rumors, I would guess Parcells saw this coming. He is going to opt out and find some other team to take over. When that team hires him he will begin turning them around, because the guy knows how to build a team. Part of that will be raiding the Miami roster and front office whenever he can, just like he did in NE (bringing in ex-Giants), NYJ (bringing in ex-Patriots), Dallas (bringing in ex-NYJ) and Miami (bringing in ex-Cowboys).

This one is easy to call if you step back and look at things. I know you want to think he will stay because he "likes it in Miami", but I'd be shocked. Time will tell.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NE39
    I hardly think Parcells telling the owner he plans to stay means anything. The guy is notorious for lying during negotiations, just look at what happened in Atlanta when he leveraged them to get the Miami deal. He knows how to build a football team, but he also is going to get every last dollar he can for himself, as he has throughout his career. Why do you think the thing about his contract leaked last week? That was Tuna floating out there.

I'd be shocked if Parcells didn't opt out of his Miami deal, take his remaining $9M and then go out and find himself the best possible deal he can. Maybe Ross steps up and signs Parcells to a new deal, but I can guarantee if that happens Parcells isn't leaving money on the table. Most likely, Ross brings in his buddy Carl Peterson and Parcells takes his money and goes elsewhere.

With the rumors of Peterson being hired coming the week after the Parcells rumors, I would guess Parcells saw this coming. He is going to opt out and find some other team to take over. When that team hires him he will begin turning them around, because the guy knows how to build a team. Part of that will be raiding the Miami roster and front office whenever he can, just like he did in NE (bringing in ex-Giants), NYJ (bringing in ex-Patriots), Dallas (bringing in ex-NYJ) and Miami (bringing in ex-Cowboys).

This one is easy to call if you step back and look at things. I know you want to think he will stay because he "likes it in Miami", but I'd be shocked. Time will tell.
    I agreed with you until yesterday. I don't think that he would lie right now. He wouldn't be saying anything if he was playing games. I'll believe it when I see it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Its being speculated that Peterson could replace Brian Wedimier, not Ireland or Parcells.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike13
    Its being speculated that Peterson could replace Brian Wedimier, not Ireland or Parcells.
    I don't see two guys with Egos that big co-existing together. Both Parcells and Peterson are used to being in charge, they aren't the type to cede power to someone else.

Maybe I'm wrong, but we will find out soon. Once the sale to Ross goes through, which I believe is next week, the clock will start on the window to opt out. I say that clause is there for a reason, and Parcells uses it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I guess we find out now:

Sale of Miami to Ross goes through

Parcells has to exercise the opt-out clause in the next 30 days, negotiate different terms or just live with the current terms.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

the sale has been known about so that won't make a difference

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LtFinFan66
    the sale has been known about so that won't make a difference
    It didn't go through until today, so he didn't have a chance to opt out. As of today, he has a 30 day window to walk away with $9M and look for a new deal.

Now, that new deal might be with the Dolphins, might not. However, two things I know about Parcells:

1) He knows football
    2) He isn't leaving money on the table

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

no ****

tell me something I don't know

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,5761844.story

"He's the greatest football mind in America. I'm very happy to have him, needless to say,'' Ross said. "Everyone's expressed all the concerns, is he leaving or isn't he? … He's staying and I'm fortunate to have him and I think Miami is fortunate to have him.''

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So we got 30 days. I'm confident he'll stay, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LtFinFan66
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,5761844.story

"He's the greatest football mind in America. I'm very happy to have him, needless to say,'' Ross said. "Everyone's expressed all the concerns, is he leaving or isn't he? … He's staying and I'm fortunate to have him and I think Miami is fortunate to have him.''
    Interesting... From that same press conference:

"I've been talking to him for some time," Ross said. "I didn't say 'Give me a commitment.' In the conversations it just came out that we were building a relationship.

"I didn't have to say 'Are you staying?' I just wanted to make sure he was happy and [show him] what kind of person I was, and I got to get a better feel for him as a person. I think we are comfortable with that.
    ... and...

Ross, when asked early in the conference call whether Parcells and the club were renegotiating his contract, said, "There is nothing to renegotiate." When asked again at the end of the conference call, Ross said, "Not at this point."
    But there is this comment from Parcells himself:

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tuna
    We’ll see what happens.
    Some real commitment there.

Parcells detests going to offseason events, yet he is in mobile looking at Senior Bowl practices this year. He wasn't there last year, and Miami had the #1 overall selection. He hasn't been in years.

So why is he there? He is there to network, he is shopping himself around to see what kind of bid he can get as a free agent, which he can be shortly. That is the only reason to be there.

If you know the guys history, you can see what is happening. He had an agreement with Atlanta last year, and ended up with Miami a couple days later.

He had an agreement in 2002 with Tampa Bay, so much so that they fired Tony Dungy to bring him in. Then, he spurned them to go with Dallas.

Parcells is on the market, and no matter what you read he could do anything. The only thing I'm sure of is he is opting out and taking the money. Where he ends up after that will be interesting to see.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

God you must love trying to **** on this team's parade.

After two hours of examining the draft's senior prospects Parcells was asked if he planned to remain Vice President of Football Operations for the Dolphins.

"What does it look like I'm doing," he told the Sun-Sentinel. "What do your eyes tell you?"
    eyes say he's scouting draft talent. But for whom?

According to Parcells, he ended a five-year hiatus from the Senior Bowl because the Dolphins have "very specific" draft needs. He's already broken down film of certain players participating in Saturday's game, and the daily practices, and he's in Mobile to make sure they pass the eyeball test, and interviewed well.

Based on his involvement in the team's evaluation process, it certainly seems like one of the NFL's most nomadic figures doesn't plan to exercise a clause in his contract that allows him to collect the remaining $12 million on the four-year deal he signed last year.
    It's not about money," Parcells stressed. "I've got more than I can spend."
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...,5980973.story
    '
    He's staying.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

"What does it look like I'm doing," he told the Sun-Sentinel. "What do your eyes tell you?"

That sounds like a defensive comment to me. I'm not convinced, and I think NE39 has a good point. Parcells has done it before.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike13
    God you must love trying to **** on this team's parade.
    I'm not trying to crap on anything. I'm merely expressing an opinion.

Parcells hasn't committed to anything. If you have followed his career, he has leveraged his way out of multiple situations to get himself new gigs. This is nothing new, you just don't want to acknowledge it.

What I think is funny is that you think he has suddenly grown to love Florida to the point where he isn't going to explore his options.

I'm not saying he won't return to the Dolphins, he might. However, if he does it will be under a completely new deal. He is taking his $9M and getting a new deal. That is the one consistent thing about his actions throughout his career. I don't even blame him for doing it, he negotiated the deal so he has the right.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NE39
    Interesting... From that same press conference:

... and...

But there is this comment from Parcells himself:

Some real commitment there.

Parcells detests going to offseason events, yet he is in mobile looking at Senior Bowl practices this year. He wasn't there last year, and Miami had the #1 overall selection. He hasn't been in years.

So why is he there? He is there to network, he is shopping himself around to see what kind of bid he can get as a free agent, which he can be shortly. That is the only reason to be there.

If you know the guys history, you can see what is happening. He had an agreement with Atlanta last year, and ended up with Miami a couple days later.

He had an agreement in 2002 with Tampa Bay, so much so that they fired Tony Dungy to bring him in. Then, he spurned them to go with Dallas.

Parcells is on the market, and no matter what you read he could do anything. The only thing I'm sure of is he is opting out and taking the money. Where he ends up after that will be interesting to see.
    Adam Shefter repeated this almost word for word last night on NFL Network, saying he still has time to opt out and hasn't committed to the Dolphins yet. Nothing is finalized and Parcells is indeed exploring his options.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My future? I'm going to be with Miami until I feel that the team is in position and Jeff and Tony have had enough experience where they can handle it."
    So you're committed through 2009?" Parcells responded, "Yes. Oh yeah. Definitely."
    http://www.thephinsider.com/

Case closed.