• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Maybe coaching and talent is the isseu

One thing i keep thinking about is how Jauron's stupidity cost us two games outright, Browns and Jets2. With the exact same roster and DC and OC, i think a capable coach squeaks out at least 2-4 more games. However, that still wouldn't have been enough to get us into the playoffs this year. 9-7 to 11-5 wouldn't have helped.

So there is something about the players. And i think with one legit DE of play making caliber and a young DE drafted early, the bills could be dominant on defense.

I also think the Bills are one Center and one TE/veteran welker-like receiver away from looking like an offense you wouldn't mind seeing on a weekly basis.

I hate Jauron as a coach as much as the next guy, but squeaking out wins to 11-5 would have most likley left us out of the playoffs. ask New England. So while the team isn't as bad as it seems, there is a player gap that needs to be addressed. if One Bills Drive blows it in free agency, for the few of us left hanging on this sinking ship will probably jump early in April.
    Last edited by trapezeus; 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM.
  • Dujek
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Jan 2008

Re: Maybe coaching and talent is the isseu

Broncos?

We won that one...

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

meant the browns. sorry

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by trapezeus
        One thing i keep thinking about is how Jauron's stupidity cost us two games outright, Browns and Jets2. With the exact same roster and DC and OC, i think a capable coach squeaks out at least 2-4 more games. However, that still wouldn't have been enough to get us into the playoffs this year. 9-7 to 11-5 wouldn't have helped.

So there is something about the players. And i think with one legit DE of play making caliber and a young DE drafted early, the bills could be dominant on defense.

I also think the Bills are one Center and one TE/veteran welker-like receiver away from looking like an offense you wouldn't mind seeing on a weekly basis.

I hate Jauron as a coach as much as the next guy, but squeaking out wins to 11-5 would have most likley left us out of the playoffs. ask New England. So while the team isn't as bad as it seems, there is a player gap that needs to be addressed. if One Bills Drive blows it in free agency, for the few of us left hanging on this sinking ship will probably jump early in April.
        Hmmm. Agree and disagree

1) The defense needs help, you just cant win lots of games without QB pressure. With a solid pass rush everything gets easier. We also have a serious problem on 3rd downs. It seems like our seems in the defense are always open. I watched Indy successfully cover them up by rolling the CB over for the 1st 5-10 yards and then the S picked it up. I think our issue is that our CB's play 10 yards off the ball and then stay locked on to the WR's. We then have no one covering the short seems or the middle when we rush everyone on 3rd downs.

2) I almost want to agree on Offense. I cant get aroundhow bad Trent played for that stretch of 4 games... it was huge. But a true upgrade at C is a big step in the right direction. I have to seriously wonder if we dont trade Peters because we just wont pay him. If that happens, even fi we did add a good C, we still are no better off... and the offense will struggle IMO. I really do think that we may just get smart and get a playmaking TE in this draft. Welker type? sure that would be nice... but isnt that what Parrish is supposed to be? Im a fan of adding a playmaking WR for sure. It just needs to be a true playmaker.

3) I have said over and over that we dont have good enough backups. Ellison should be fighting for a roster spot, not our 1st OLB if we have an injury. The same for Digi, Corto, Wendling, and Kirk Chambers. I know people like Kirk, but he palyed very poorly in the Pats game and has little to no upside. Thats just how I feel. Id like guys that are more solid as our backups. What Whittle was supposed to be.

4) I agree that better coaching which includes all that that entails such as gameday and clock management buys us another 2 wins. I agree that the rest come from better talent on the field.

Thats my take.

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

B

O

T

H

:banghead:
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• acehole
            • Jan 2006

Billicheck had 6 losing seasons as coach before he got it.....

I suppose there is hope for dick...

Hated by the stupid..
            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

Unless we had 3 extra wins vs Dolphins, Jets and Pats... Then we take the division!!

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                • Feb 2005

In THIS offseason... If we come up with...

(1) Starting DE
                (1) Starting OLB
                (1) Starting C

We make the playoffs inspite of DJ!!

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by draz54
                  In THIS offseason... If we come up with...

(1) Starting DE
                  (1) Starting OLB
                  (1) Starting C

We make the playoffs inspite of DJ!!
                  I can really see that.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                    Defies all logic
                    • Oct 2006

I HAVE AN "ISSEU" WITH YOUR SPELLING.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

any time there is a loss there is going to be places to point at coaches where they should have coached better and players where they should have played better. The more losing there is the more pointing...

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by acehole
                        Billicheck had 6 losing seasons as coach before he got it.....

I suppose there is hope for dick...
                        once again, using the exception to prove the rule.

How many coaches had 6 losing seasons before becoming legendary, vs how many coaches had 6 losing seasons to end up career losers?
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

It would have left us out because our coach can't hang with the other coaches in the AFCE to begin with because his annointed OC is busy copying plays from other teams as the season goes along or didn't practice for what the opponent is showing them on gameday.
                          Last edited by justasportsfan; 01-06-2009, 10:29 AM.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            once again, using the exception to prove the rule.

How many coaches had 6 losing seasons before becoming legendary, vs how many coaches had 6 losing seasons to end up career losers?
                            It's actually a bigger list than you think if you go through the history of the league. Pretty much every good coach that started out on a crappy team with a crappy front office. Good coaching can't overcome poor talent with the inability to get better talent.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

I'm not saying we have great talent but we have enough talent to NOT go 0-6 in the division or at least beat teams like the browns. Thanks to coaching, our talent is made to look worse than it is.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X