• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Why Kelsay must go..

Its obvious to all of us and I'm assuming even our incompetent front office realizes our defense isn't going to get better until we get better at defensive end, especially with the pass rush.

But making a major move is easier said than done. Bad contracts and perhaps a bad draft pick last year make the process harder.

Assuming Aaron Schobel will be healthy, he's going nowhere. He still has 4-years remaining on his deal and it would cost the Bills money to cut him, they wouldn't save a dime.

RYan Denney played very well in a forced starter role last year. He's going into the final year of his contract, so he'll be around next year.

Chris Ellis was a disaster last year, but he was only a rookie. The Bills invested a third round pick in him. It's highly doubtful they'll continue to let him toil at the end of the bench and not give him a shot at more playing time.

That leaves Chris Kelsay. In my opinion, we absolutely must cut him. But from what i've gathered from people I've talked to and/or heard, Kelsay isn't going anywhere. I checked with our cap expert (Clump) and according to him the Bills would have no cap savings by cutting him at all, another factor that may keep him around. He's still under contract for two more seasons (let me reiterate what a terrible deal this is)

So if we're going to sign a free agent or take a top DE in the draft, then how can he NOT be cut? I highly doubt Ellis would be a 5th DE, unless the bills are ready to say he's a bust after only one year.

Kelsay has gotta go.. It won't be a financial move, it'll be a football move.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
    • May 2007

Re: Why Kelsay must go..

We paid him a big signing bonus so if we cut him Buffalo would still be paying for him even though he is gone. If that is going to happen we might as well keep him, just in case. I mean, he is not a cancer in the locker room so he is not going to do any harm.

In any case I would at least wait to see who we sign in FA and who we draft, making a decision right now would be dumb.
    Last edited by Turbo.GUN.Hawk!; 01-25-2009, 11:29 AM.
    I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Comment

• acehole
      • Jan 2006

I like Kelsay and Denny at Thier spots....shobel lack of production makes those guys look worse...
      Originally posted by patmoran2006
      Its obvious to all of us and I'm assuming even our incompetent front office realizes our defense isn't going to get better until we get better at defensive end, especially with the pass rush.

But making a major move is easier said than done. Bad contracts and perhaps a bad draft pick last year make the process harder.

Assuming Aaron Schobel will be healthy, he's going nowhere. He still has 4-years remaining on his deal and it would cost the Bills money to cut him, they wouldn't save a dime.

RYan Denney played very well in a forced starter role last year. He's going into the final year of his contract, so he'll be around next year.

Chris Ellis was a disaster last year, but he was only a rookie. The Bills invested a third round pick in him. It's highly doubtful they'll continue to let him toil at the end of the bench and not give him a shot at more playing time.

That leaves Chris Kelsay. In my opinion, we absolutely must cut him. But from what i've gathered from people I've talked to and/or heard, Kelsay isn't going anywhere. I checked with our cap expert (Clump) and according to him the Bills would have no cap savings by cutting him at all, another factor that may keep him around. He's still under contract for two more seasons (let me reiterate what a terrible deal this is)

So if we're going to sign a free agent or take a top DE in the draft, then how can he NOT be cut? I highly doubt Ellis would be a 5th DE, unless the bills are ready to say he's a bust after only one year.

Kelsay has gotta go.. It won't be a financial move, it'll be a football move.
      Hated by the stupid..
      Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Patti120
        • Aug 2004

Kelsay is a d captain so I would think Denney might be the odd man out. Who the heck knows what will happen though.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

I think that both Kelsay and Copeland are replaceable.. I would keep Schobel, Denney and Ellis. Spend a high draft choice on a DE and then maybe another pick on a DE in rounds 3-7.

Comment

• Mitchell55
            only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
            • Feb 2008

Keep Schobel, Ellis, Denney, and Bryan. Rest our gone. Draft either 2 DEs or 1 DE and 1 FA DE.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
              Defies all logic
              • Oct 2006

Aren't we like 25 million under the cap? I'm pretty sure that we could afford a couple cap casualities if it meant upgrading the team.

Comment

• Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
                • May 2007

^ You really think our franchise has the intention to maximize our cap space?
                I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

This team doesn't really like dead cap. And they never release ANYONE based solely on the game of football.

Comment

• bflobarry
                    • Jan 2004

Cap or no cap, Kelsay absolutely sucks against the run AND the pass and must be cut. He is easily, in my mind, the worst starter on a weak team. Those who compare him to Schobel simply do not know football. Sorry....

Comment

• bigbub2352
                      • Feb 2005

would be nice to send a message to this team that terrible play at the position wont be tolerated, Kelsay is a joke at DE, and the organization has shoved him down our throats for 6-7yrs now
                      We need to cut him and have schobel, draft pick, denney, ellis, bryan, and johnson at DE next yr
                      XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

i think it is one of those things were, we SHOULD cut him but we CANT cut him. it would be a wise football move and open up playing time for a FA/draft pick, but if all we do is loose money and get no cap savings there is no way ralph is going to do that. he is too cheap to loose that kind of money on a player which the coaching staff is high on for some reason. if it is a coach and they stink, well they stink and you have to make the move (i really believe the only reason jauron was retained is because all of the good coaching candidates arnt available till next year and there was no better to replace him other than another unexpierienced coordinator) but with a player like kelsay the FO still thinks he is young enough where there is a chance he can still turn it on and have a solid year. i guess it is the lesser of 2 evils and wilson isnt going to especially pay a player to go play for another team.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
                          We paid him a big signing bonus so if we cut him Buffalo would still be paying for him even though he is gone. .
                          I don't think this is correct. Buffalo's "cash to cap" strategy means that a player's signing bonus isn't amortized, ie, they take the full bonus hit in the first year of the contract and then a player's cap number in the out years is pretty much exactly his salary.

Now, I don't know if this strategy was used on Kelsay or not- I'd have to check with Clump- but I believe cutting Kelsay would not be expensive.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Oaf
                            Do you read what you write?
                            • Jun 2007

Pat, in this situation you've outlined, I see Bills continuing to beat around the bush and continue their ignorance by not taking a DE high. Schobel's not leaving, they don't have the guts to cut Kelsay, and Denney actually did an average job at DE.

We can only pray that BJ will be around at DT if we want a lineman in the 1st.

Comment

• BillsWin
                              man amongst boys
                              • Oct 2008

Kelsay must go, because he must go. period.
                              I am The Batman.

Comment

Working...
                              X