• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

good article on concussions

link

"What's been surprising is that it's so extensive," said Dr. Ann McKee, a neuropathologist at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Bedford, Massachusetts, and co-director of the CSTE. "It's throughout the brain, not just on the superficial aspects of the brain, but it's deep inside."

CSTE studies reveal brown tangles flecked throughout the brain tissue of former NFL players who died young -- some as early as their 30s or 40s.

McKee, who also studies Alzheimer's disease, says the tangles closely resemble what might be found in the brain of an 80-year-old with dementia.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: good article on concussions

i would be really interested to hear more from trent on his concussion.. because i can say that in 20 years of watching almost every bills game played, i have never in my life seen such a DRASTIC change in a player. he just absolutely could not do the things that he really excelled at previously at all. it was obviously extremely frustrating to watch, but i just feel like maybe there was something else to it.. something more than confidence or an understanding of the game.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Buffalogic
      Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
      • Feb 2006

Yeah, I read that earlier today. Scary to think what is going to happen to most of these player 30 years after retirement.

Comment

• VeggieMan14
        • Jan 2008

Concussions hurt
        I feel a win streak coming and a Bills Playoff Run!!!

VeggieMan- To many Concussions as a kid

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
          i would be really interested to hear more from trent on his concussion.. because i can say that in 20 years of watching almost every bills game played, i have never in my life seen such a DRASTIC change in a player. he just absolutely could not do the things that he really excelled at previously at all. it was obviously extremely frustrating to watch, but i just feel like maybe there was something else to it.. something more than confidence or an understanding of the game.

do you remember big ben's 2006 season?

He had a massive concussion in a motorcycle accident, and then had his worse season in his career.

Look at Kurt Warner, he had a couple of concussions and you could say it sidelined his career for 5 years, before he got going again in AZ.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

Well I do believe the concussion definitely hurt Trent mid season, but by the end of the year he was looking himself again.

People say Trent is injury proned, but he has taken some unblocked shots that still make me cringe. I know I wouldn't have gotten up after a couple of those hits. Which strengthens the argument for better OL protection investment

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Makes you wonder if Steve Young & Troy Aikman will have trouble putting together sentences in 10 years. They were knocked out so many times, I lost count.

Hmm..maybe I have a concussion.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                do you remember big ben's 2006 season?

He had a massive concussion in a motorcycle accident, and then had his worse season in his career.

Look at Kurt Warner, he had a couple of concussions and you could say it sidelined his career for 5 years, before he got going again in AZ.
                The question can Trent bounce back like Ben did or will it take him more than a year. Its not just the concussion symptons that you have to worry about. Once you take a shot like that nobody wants to take it again and last year on a number of occasions Trent played scared out there. If he can't get over taking a shot then he will never be the QB he was before the concussion.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• yordad
                  • Dec 2007

I think people are over rating TEs concussion. How many times have you seen a QB bounce right back?
                  "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

i think it is a fact that we have clearly UNDERESTIMATED concussions historically.

but you could be right.. it might not be the concussion as much as it is just a psychological thing.. the shot he took looked as vicious as any shot i have seen on a qb.. wilson drove his helmet through trents chin.. it was brutal.

Comment

• VeggieMan14
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by yordad
                      I think people are over rating TEs concussion. How many times have you seen a QB bounce right back?
                      It is very easy to bounce right back from a concussion and think you are ready to play but if you come back too early it has some serious effects on your ability to make decisions and react

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by VeggieMan14
                        It is very easy to bounce right back from a concussion and think you are ready to play but if you come back too early it has some serious effects on your ability to make decisions and react
                        You guys act like your worried physical effects will last years. Come on. It is like some of you are lining up excuses for the dude already.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• VeggieMan14
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by yordad
                          You guys act like your worried physical effects will last years. Come on. It is like some of you are lining up excuses for the dude already.
                          thats not what i am saying i am saying that it could have possibly affected trents play last year

Comment

• mybills
                            81 st zoner
                            • Jul 2002

McKee, who also studies Alzheimer's disease, says the tangles closely resemble what might be found in the brain of an 80-year-old with dementia.

Trent only had one. He's so not comparable to this.

Yet.
                            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

Edwards said the concussion was no factor in the four-game losing streak after the Chargers game.
                              “No, not at all,” he said. “I felt fine a week later. People want to find something to write about, something to talk about. I was perfectly fine after the week-long break I took.”
                              I thought that was worth putting here. link

Comment

Working...
                              X