Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cassel must be a future Hall of Famer!

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cassel must be a future Hall of Famer!

The way the NFL network is talking about him. The Chiefs have their savior at QB and a great LB in Vrabel. Maybe even a dozen TD combos near the goal line with the two as well.

Anybody else think the Chiefs are making a mistake with this guy? Or is it the Patriots that have found the true way to find franchise QBs in getting guys that barely play in college?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Cassel must be a future Hall of Famer!

Brady started 2 full seasons at that school up north

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LtFinFan66
    Brady started 2 full seasons at that school up north
    Yeah, but didn't he share time with Drew Henson both seasons? Not equally, but I know he shared time.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not according to what I read...let me double check

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

However in 1998 (his senior season), Brady received the starting quarterback job for the Wolverines and played in and started all 13 games. His stats were a decent 214 completed passes on 350 attempts (school record) for 2636 yards, 15 touchdowns and 12 interceptions[

Brady stayed in college an extra year so he could get more starting experience before applying for the 2000 NFL draft. Once again he started every game (12) for the Michigan Wolverines and at the end of the season was named the Bo Schembechler Award winner as Michigan's Most Valuable Player. Tom Brady led the team to a 10 & 2 record and improved statistically also with 214 completions on 341 attempts for 2586 yards, 20 touchdowns and five interceptions

If Henson played, it wasn't much

Henson chose to attend the University of Michigan, where backed up starting quarterback Tom Brady during the 1998 and 1999 seasons
    Last edited by LtFinFan66; 02-28-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo! Nighthawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

However in 1998 (his senior season), Brady received the starting quarterback job for the Wolverines and played in and started all 13 games. His stats were a decent 214 completed passes on 350 attempts (school record) for 2636 yards, 15 touchdowns and 12 interceptions[

Brady stayed in college an extra year so he could get more starting experience before applying for the 2000 NFL draft. Once again he started every game (12) for the Michigan Wolverines and at the end of the season was named the Bo Schembechler Award winner as Michigan's Most Valuable Player. Tom Brady led the team to a 10 & 2 record and improved statistically also with 214 completions on 341 attempts for 2586 yards, 20 touchdowns and five interceptions

Henson chose to attend the University of Michigan, where backed up starting quarterback Tom Brady during the 1998 and 1999 seasons
    Damn, you made me delete my post! I was sure Brady split time...guess not.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I watched the kid all year. I think he is a real good QB. He has size, is accurate, has a good arm and is a above-average athlete for the position.

Early in the year, he was uncertain in the pocket. He got jumpy when things broke down around him. He was getting the ball out quickly or taking the sack.

However, he improved with each game and by the end of the year was showing poise of a veteran player. He was staying with plays downfield and hitting his 2nd and 3rd reads. He showed the ability to escape and make plays with his feet, either buying time to throw or running for first downs.

Was he helped by playing with good players? Sure. However, he went from being a guy who just had to not lose the game to a guy who was making plays that won games over the course of the season. He is only 26 and he should keep improving with experience, and he just got traded to a perfect situation, as Todd Haley's offense runs lots of spread sets and shotgun formation. He doesn't even have to learn new terminology, as Haley's offense is the same as NE.

In short, NE didn't get near value on the deal. I think between needing the cap space and Belichick wanting to do Pioli a favor, the Chiefs got a steal. Cassel is already, right now (IMO), a solid NFL starting QB. I think he has the potential to be a top-10 NFL QB.

People keep wanting to take away from what Cassel did last year, but his improvement over the course of a season was astounding. He isn't a fluke.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, he didn't play much. I'm wrong. I was thinking the way they talked about Henson that he played a lot more.

http://stats.ath.umich.edu/football/cmaster.php?pkey=32

and Brady's

http://stats.ath.umich.edu/football/cmaster.php?pkey=83

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NE39
    I watched the kid all year. I think he is a real good QB. He has size, is accurate, has a good arm and is a above-average athlete for the position.

Early in the year, he was uncertain in the pocket. He got jumpy when things broke down around him. He was getting the ball out quickly or taking the sack.

However, he improved with each game and by the end of the year was showing poise of a veteran player. He was staying with plays downfield and hitting his 2nd and 3rd reads. He showed the ability to escape and make plays with his feet, either buying time to throw or running for first downs.

Was he helped by playing with good players? Sure. However, he went from being a guy who just had to not lose the game to a guy who was making plays that won games over the course of the season. He is only 26 and he should keep improving with experience, and he just got traded to a perfect situation, as Todd Haley's offense runs lots of spread sets and shotgun formation. He doesn't even have to learn new terminology, as Haley's offense is the same as NE.

In short, NE didn't get near value on the deal. I think between needing the cap space and Belichick wanting to do Pioli a favor, the Chiefs got a steal. Cassel is already, right now (IMO), a solid NFL starting QB. I think he has the potential to be a top-10 NFL QB.

People keep wanting to take away from what Cassel did last year, but his improvement over the course of a season was astounding. He isn't a fluke.
    Having a good line will help a LOT.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NE39

I read a few stats on Cassel towards the end of the year. First of all, throughout the season, 55% of his passing yards came from WR YAC, which was tops in the league. Also, I believe about 80% or more of his passes at the end of the year (i.e. last six or so games) came from the shotgun. So he was sort of working in the spread offense, similar to what Thigpen required in order for some of his success.

So to me, they just traded for a somewhat better version of Thigpen. Whether or not Cassel can do well for several seasons in a row is a matter to be seen. I also doubt his abilities if he doesn't have two of the best receivers in the game around him. Although Gonzalez and Bowe will help him well enough, most likely.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62
    I read a few stats on Cassel towards the end of the year. First of all, throughout the season, 55% of his passing yards came from WR YAC, which was tops in the league. Also, I believe about 80% or more of his passes at the end of the year (i.e. last six or so games) came from the shotgun. So he was sort of working in the spread offense, similar to what Thigpen required in order for some of his success.

So to me, they just traded for a somewhat better version of Thigpen. Whether or not Cassel can do well for several seasons in a row is a matter to be seen. I also doubt his abilities if he doesn't have two of the best receivers in the game around him. Although Gonzalez and Bowe will help him well enough, most likely.
    You can look at his stats all you want, but the kid improved all season. Break his stats down for the first half of the season against the second half of the season.

You mention YAC like that is a bad thing. YAC is a sign of an accurate passer. It means he is hitting guys in stride on time. Joe Montana and Steve Young got lots of YAC from their WR as well.

I watched the kid, game in and game out. In the last 5-6 weeks of the season, he played like a top-10 QB. His improvement over the course of the season was astounding.

He has everything you would want in a QB. He has size (6-5, 225#), he has a good arm and can make all the throws. He is a real good athlete and can make plays with his feet. He works hard and prepares like a pro, and by the end of the year was finding open guys even if they weren't the first or second read. He has a quick release.

I would rate Cassel, right now, right in the middle of the pack among NFL QBs. I think he continues to get better as well.
    Last edited by Ickybaluky; 02-28-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How old are you NE

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How old are you NE
    Why?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

because you call Cassell "the kid"....just wondering how old you are compared to him

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

because you call Cassell "the kid"....just wondering how old you are compared to him
    44. I guess I call them all kids, you know?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

44.....it's ok then

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

NE fans wanted more than a 2nd round pick. Don't confuse either of them with Lord Tedy Bruschi.
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mybills
    NE fans wanted more than a 2nd round pick. Don't confuse either of them with Lord Tedy Bruschi.
    True, I wanted and felt they would get more than a 2nd.

However, I don't feel bad about where they are at. They have their own first and second, KC's second and SD's second. That gives them 4 picks between 23 and 58.

On top of that, they are a lock to get a 3rd round comp pick for Asante Samuel, which along with their own 3rd gives them 6 picks in the top 100 players taken.

Heck, they might get comp picks in the 4th (Donte Stallworth) and 5th (Randall Gay) as well, giving them 12 total picks in the draft. Not bad for a team that needs to get younger.

In short, it should be an interesting draft for Pats fans.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Really, no Pats fan should feel bad! Plus, most people would be happy with a 2nd. I laughed when I listened to the news this morning. "We want more".

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I would guess the Pats have a plan. For instance, here is a Panther's beat writer who is speculating the Pats are preparing for a run at Julius Peppers:

LINK

But I can't help but hear what Julius Peppers has been saying the last month and a half, and watch what the New England Patriots have been doing the last day and a half, and not put two and two together.
    It sure looks like the Patriots are clearing cap room and an OLB job in a 3-4 defense by trading Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel to Kansas City for the seemingly low price of a second-round pick.
    And it sure has sounded like Peppers is looking for such an opportunity.

...From the moment Peppers' camp declared the one mystery AFC team he'd be willing to be traded to, along with three NFC red herrings, New England has seemed like a fit. Miami's the other logical assumption, with Bill Parcells being the Belichick figure that would draw him there.
    But this sounds like a fit for all the off-field things he's looking for as well. He likes a big market, because it allows him to get lost in a crowd. And if he goes to Boston, he's behind Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Tom Brady, Randy Moss and every single member of the Boston Red Sox on the local icon pecking order. He'd be OK with that.
    And the Patriots have the kind of ammunition to get a deal done.
    They've got their own first-rounder and three seconds this year, which would be the 23rd, 34th, 47th and 58th overall picks.
    If the Panthers refuse a trade, and take a hard line demanding this thing goes the offer sheet route, the Patriots might be sure enough of themselves (and why not) to give the 23rd pick this year and the 32nd a year from now for a transcendent talent like Peppers.
    Right now, it is the March 1. Even if Pats fans are disappointed in not getting more for Cassel, my guess is there is going to be plenty to get excited about between now and the start of camp.