• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sauce
    • Dec 2008

Russ Brandon says Bills will go BPA...

This is why I like Russ Brandon....

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/650768.html

Bills officials insist one thing they will not do is reach for a lesser player based on need.

"Anytime you try to pigeonhole certain areas, that's where you have a tendency to get in trouble," said Russ Brandon, Buffalo Bills chief operating officer and general manager. "We're going to be true to our board. We're going to do the best job we can do to add quality football players to our team."

Re: Russ Brandon says Bills will go BPA...

so it won't be Pettigrew at #11 then

Phew

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

good, glad to hear it as long as he simultaneously realizes we have 2 glaring needs, if not 3

Comment

• sauce
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kernowboy
        so it won't be Pettigrew at #11 then

Phew
        Thats what i'm thinking....

Although I have seen some big boards with Petti ranked as high as 5

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sauce
          This is why I like Russ Brandon....

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/650768.html

Bills officials insist one thing they will not do is reach for a lesser player based on need.

"Anytime you try to pigeonhole certain areas, that's where you have a tendency to get in trouble," said Russ Brandon, Buffalo Bills chief operating officer and general manager. "We're going to be true to our board. We're going to do the best job we can do to add quality football players to our team."
          It's a great quote but if we end up taking Pettigrew at pick #11 then I'll have major issues.

Comment

The problem is, in some our areas of need the 2010 class seems to be much better.

At TE it is deeper at the top, at OLB there are as many as seven guys who could be Round1 choices. This year there's a couple and then the risk of trying to convert college DEs

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Good.. If he's true to his word, Maybin will be a Bill.

BTW, he's full of ****.. even if sanchez or crabtree were on the board at 11, we're not taking them.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Feb 2009

Why would we want tiny aaron maybin?

We have smallish d ends, and that's why they blow.

Lets draft another small d end.

Maybin is an OLB in a 3-4. Period.
                Last edited by The Juice Is Loose; 04-25-2009, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• sauce
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                  Good.. If he's true to his word, Maybin will be a Bill.

BTW, he's full of ****.. even if sanchez or crabtree were on the board at 11, we're not taking them.
                  Agree on Sanchez but if Crabtree is there (which he won't be) the Bills would nab him in a second

Comment

• Throne Logic
                    Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                    • Aug 2002

I have a couple issues with that statement.

First, it's very likely that a WR might be the "BPA" when #11 comes along. That would really be a rediculously stupid move.

Second, Donte Whitner. My concern with the Donte situation is that the Bills, according to Russ's statement, had him ranked as BPA when the did ultimately select him. I've defended the Bills reaching to get a player they felt they needed to fill a hole. I don't believe as strongly as most around here in "value" for picks. A starting contributor in round one is a starting contributor. There have been plenty of "draft day steals" who ultimately busted. But I do have to question their draft rankings if Russ's statement is, in fact, the truth.

For the sake of being optimistic on this glorious day, I'll go with the assumption that this is just an easy, smoke-blowing, cop-out answer that Russ gave so he could go back to work.
                    Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• sauce
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Throne Logic
                      I have a couple issues with that statement.

First, it's very likely that a WR might be the "BPA" when #11 comes along. That would really be a rediculously stupid move.

Second, Donte Whitner. My concern with the Donte situation is that the Bills, according to Russ's statement, had him ranked as BPA when the did ultimately select him. I've defended the Bills reaching to get a player they felt they needed to fill a hole. I don't believe as strongly as most around here in "value" for picks. A starting contributor in round one is a starting contributor. There have been plenty of "draft day steals" who ultimately busted. But I do have to question their draft rankings if Russ's statement is, in fact, the truth.

For the sake of being optimistic on this glorious day, I'll go with the assumption that this is just an easy, smoke-blowing, cop-out answer that Russ gave so he could go back to work.
                      Lets hope this helps

The Chargers have rebuilt their team primarily through the NFL players draft into one of the top three winningest teams in the NFL over the past 4-5 years. The other 2 teams are the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts. San Diego Chargers Pro Bowl Players: 2008: 9 Pro Bowlers; 2007 8 Pro Bowl Players; 2006 11 Pro Bowl Players; 2005 6 Pro Bowl Players; 2006 6 Pro Bowl Players; 2004 3 Pro Bowl Players.

Buddy Nix is considered by some to be one of the top 5 talent evaluators in the NFL. The San Diego Chargers use a system of "three deep" at each and every position where any of the three players on the depth chart for each position could start on many other NFL teams. For example: RB Michael Turner was #2 behind RB La Danian Thomlinson and RB/Special Teams player Darren Sproles was #3 on the Chargers depth chart.

The San Diego Chargers have won 4 out of the last 5 AFC West Titles with Buddy Nix as Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel in charge of college scouting and instrumental to the decision making process of their NFL drafts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Nix

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Feb 2009

Dude, they're going by THEIR BOARD.

Why would they consider a WR a better player available than a position of need?

Its a trick question, this whole need based vs. BPA nonsense.

If people took the BPA, Curry would be taking on blockers in Detroit. They needed a QB, and guaranteed 41 mil to a guy I expect to be a bust.

One could say WE WILL DRAFT THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE (FOR US)

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose
                          Why would we want tiny aaron maybin?

We have smallish d ends, and that's why they blow.

Lets draft another small d end.

Maybin is an OLB in a 3-4. Period.
                          They blow because they are slow and have no pass rush skills. Kelsay is 6'4 260, hardly small. And he sucks.

Maybin has the quickest first step of any DE in the draft.

Note: Robert Mathis is 6'2 245 and was just at the Pro Bowl. He is a DE not OLB.

Size means squat. Give me a football player.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Smokescreen

Comment

• sauce
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose
                              Dude, they're going by THEIR BOARD.

Why would they consider a WR a better player available than a position of need?

Its a trick question, this whole need based vs. BPA nonsense.

If people took the BPA, Curry would be taking on blockers in Detroit. They needed a QB, and guaranteed 41 mil to a guy I expect to be a bust.

One could say WE WILL DRAFT THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE (FOR US)
                              You are wrong

The Lions didn't take Curry because you CANNOT justify giving an OLB top money

Watch Curry slide out of the top 5

Comment

Working...
                              X