Thread: Tim Tebow

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Tim Tebow, QB, Florida

From WalterFootball.com:
    Tim Tebow, Florida
    Height: 6-2 3/4. Weight: 236.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
    Projected Round (2010): 1-2.

12/20/08: Everyone knows what sort of an athlete Tim Tebow is. Even if he fails at quarterback, he still has a spot in the league. His greatest challenge will be adjusting from the spread offense to a pro-style attack. But many spread quarterbacks have been taken in the first round, including another Urban Meyer product (Alex Smith). Tebow has a much higher ceiling than the small-handed Smith, who was a fumbling machine waiting to happen.

10/12/08: While some may argue that Tim Tebow won't succeed in the NFL because he plays in Urban Meyer's spread offense, there's no doubt that many NFL GMs and coaches will fall in love with his physical attributes and his extremely high ceiling. He's still going in the first round if he declares early.

2007: ESPN's Jesse Palmer said that Tim Tebow moved himself into Heisman consideration in the wake of his performance at Ole Miss. I have to agree. Tebow's passing numbers were great - 20-of-34, 262 yards, two touchdowns - but his rushing numbers were downright spectacular (26 carries, 164 yards, two more scores).

Tebow passed his first true test with flying colors. The sophomore was 14-of-19 for 299 yards, two touchdowns and one interception against Tennessee. He also rushed for 61 yards and two more scores on the ground.

Where will Tim Tebow be drafted? Check out the Great Tim Tebow Debate and vote!

Peckerwood's Comments:

pros:
    - Pretty diesel frame, 6'3 245lbs can take hits and has the height to see over linemen.
    - His arm strength is pretty good, his accuracy is good enough on most routes.
    - An absolute nightmare to stop in short yardage situations, in this way he will force many DCs to pull their hair out.
    - Obviously has great qualities as a leader and as a role model to youngsters along with other guys in the locker room. I would be surprised to see him get in serious trouble with the law or the NFL.
    - He has his favorite receivers at Florida, but he did a pretty solid job at getting all of his guys involved, he spreads the ball around without prejudice most of the time.

cons:

- Pocket presence. I'm not sure if he can sit back in the pocket and deliver the ball, this aspect of his game is what I question the most, a team may have to be patient with him and break in the proverbial stallion, very similar to how Fisher did it with VY.
    - He needs to add more zip onto his short, intermediate and touch passes. People knock his arm strength, but I don't think it's his arm strength, it's anticipating throws is what needs the most work. Tebow doesn't strike me as the kind of QB who reads a defense and delivers the ball to his receiver before he gets open and makes his break.
    - He has been surrounded by elite skill players that may have padded his stats. Louis Murphy and Percy "No Mercy" Harvin are TEARING up the NFL. Hernandez and Cooper are also two guys I'd love to have on my team in the future, Florida probably has the best skill players in the country.
    - Spread offense. This is one of my knocks on Bradford too, I'd prefer spending a high pick on a QB who played at least some of his snaps under center and who actually ran some variations of an NFL offense.

Conclusion: Tebow is a fierce competitor and a quality leader, he has pretty good arm strength, but he won't be successful in a pass happy offense. My guess is that Tebow could be a very solid QB in say the West Coast Offense where he can dump the ball off to his skill guys to make plays.

Comments:

09/12/09- vs. Troy- His arm lacks zip. He certianly can get the ball deep. My problem is that the time it takes too much time for the ball to get there. That may really hurt him in the NFL where the DB's can close and get to the ball much faster. His accuracy and ability to get the ball down field arent the issue IMO, its that his throws lack the speed you need. His mechanics arent great either.

10/24/09- vs. Miss St- Relies a lot on his legs. He has great running ability. Supposedly has been working on his mechanics. It appears to be showing, his arm is getting better. His release is a bit quicker. His throws have a bit better velocity. If he can find a way to develop a pro quality arm, he could be very good in the NFL. His leadership is unbelievable, he is a proven winner, and a field general. He simply needs to show better arm strength, accuracy, and a quicker release. Makes a bad decision on a throw in the endzone that was an INT for a 100 yard return for a TD.

My Take:

4/28/2009- Tim Tebow is a better athelete than QB. His mechanics are well noted for being bad. After a string of "athletes" at QB, you have to wonder if he will be like Phillip Rivers or guys like Vince Young, or J.P Losman. Tom Brady has one of the worst 40 times, and verticals ever at the combine for a QB. I think it just shows that you need much more than athleticism to be a great QB. If Edwards fails and were shopping for a new one, the name Losman should be ringing in the heads of the Bills FO when thinking of Tebow. And Losman had better mechanics.

This early in the process and pre-season hes my early favorite for biggest boom or bust prospect.

Summary:
    Tim Tebow is one of the most hotly debated draft prospects of all time. If there was ever a guy who deserves be an NFL star, its Tim. Tim has the best leadership of any player in the whole draft in maybe in the past decade. Coaches and players rave about what he brings to the locker room. Athletically, he's the type of player that you just want to put on the field and let him play. He plays with his heart on his sleeve, and never gives up. However, he has a horrible throwing motion, and below average arm strength. His wind up is so slow that NFL DB's may be able to jump his throws more than they should. He is apparently working on changing his throwing style, but he hasn't shown any real improvement in official games. Yes, other QB's with bad mechanics have been successful in the NFL such as players like Phillip Rivers. But, Rivers has a much better ability to throw the ball than Tim, and that's not good. An NFL team could consider a position switch with him, draft him late as a Wildcat option, or take the huge risk on him as a potential starter at QB for their team. Everyone will be interested to see where he gets drafted.

Links:
    http://www.gatorzone.com/football/misc.php?p=tebow/bio
    http://www.tebowzone.com/
    http://www.timtebowfacts.com/
    http://www.yardbarker.com/college_fo...im_Tebow/15751
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1127382
    http://walterfootball.com/tebow.php
    Last edited by X-Era; 04-17-2010 at 08:27 AM.