Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: expensive, ridiculous, or both?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: expensive, ridiculous, or both?

The worst part is that the parking lot was probably funded by the taxpayers.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DevilPaul
    The worst part is that the parking lot was probably funded by the taxpayers.
    Actually, no.

Bob Kraft built his stadium with private funding. He did receive $150M in G4 loans at a favorable interest rates as part of the league program to fund new stadiums. He also received $72M in infrastructure improvements to roads around the stadium, but the team is required to pay those back over 25 years. He made up the remainder of the stadium costs by borrowing $452M using the team as collateral.

You can hate all you want, but Kraft built his new stadium the right way. The Pats may be expensive to see, but he built a state-of-the-art stadium without public support and without charging for PSL's like the Jets and Giants. He is paying for the stadium and the maintenance (unlike Ralph Wilson, who doesn't pay rent and gets a maintenance subsidy), which is why it costs so much to see the team play.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't understand why people are making an issue out of what the Patriots charge for parking. As NE39 mentioned, they are building an amazing new stadium and Kraft isn't sticking taxpayers with the bill (unlike Ralph Wilson).

The Chicago Bears charge $45 for game-day parking in premium lots. And if you wanna talk about rip-offs, the Redskins (perennial losers) charge $40 for game-day parking and even charge fans $10 just to watch off-season practice. If not that, try looking up the personal seat license costs that the Cowboys and Giants/Jets are going to charge.

This is not Buffalo. There is far more demand for Patriots-related goods, and people there are more than willing to shell out the money.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There's no "issues". Most of us think $50. to park is a lot of money, that's all.
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mybills
    There's no "issues". Most of us think $50. to park is a lot of money, that's all.
    I agree $50 is a lot. I would never pay that myself.

But I wasn't implying that you were making an issue out of it. Sorry if it came across that way!

LtFinFan said it's "not right" for them to charge that much. I disagree. Gameday tickets are not the only source of a team's revenue (far from it). IMHO, charging $50 for game-day parking is no more ridiculous than charging $6 for a slice of pizza at the airport, $5 for a large soda at a movie theatre, $4 for bottled water at an amusement park, $12 for a cosmo at the bar, etc...

It's a premium price that people are obviously willing to pay. The parking lot is guarenteed to be full on gamedays. Those who don't want to pay the $50 shouldn't park there.

I think it's just basic economics. Why would a businessman charge any less when he knows he can get maximum profit by charging $50?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NE39
    Actually, no.

Bob Kraft built his stadium with private funding. He did receive $150M in G4 loans at a favorable interest rates as part of the league program to fund new stadiums. He also received $72M in infrastructure improvements to roads around the stadium, but the team is required to pay those back over 25 years. He made up the remainder of the stadium costs by borrowing $452M using the team as collateral.

You can hate all you want, but Kraft built his new stadium the right way. The Pats may be expensive to see, but he built a state-of-the-art stadium without public support and without charging for PSL's like the Jets and Giants. He is paying for the stadium and the maintenance (unlike Ralph Wilson, who doesn't pay rent and gets a maintenance subsidy), which is why it costs so much to see the team play.
    Wow, what a guy. He did it all by himself.