• Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

25: Who will be the starting TE?

25: Who will be the starting TE?

Chris Brown, Lead Journalist
    Posted Jun 29, 2009

Every summer leading up to training camp Buffalobills.com asks 25 of the most pressing questions facing the team as they make their final preparations for the upcoming regular season. So with practices at St. John Fisher fast approaching, here is the first installment as we closely examine some of the answers the Buffalo Bills have to come up with between July 25th and Sept. 14th. The tight end position has been one of little fanfare for the Bills over the years when it comes to being a significant factor in the passing attack. There have been blockers and pass catchers, but the starter’s role has rarely been manned by an all-purpose threat. At this point it’s difficult to determine just how good some of the young candidates for the starter’s role might be, but what is certain is youth will be filling the position.
    With three-year starter Robert Royal released by the club last spring, the tight end position was left to three young veterans and a rookie.

• Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Re: 25: Who will be the starting TE?

It should be Nelson, but with this coaching staff...it will be Schouman.

Comment

• Mitchell55
      only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
      • Feb 2008

Fine for HB when we use it and Nelsen for TE and spread TE
      Last edited by Mitchell55; 06-29-2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Nighthawk
        I actually like how they're handling Nelson up to this point. The guy really needs to step up his blocking before he can get on the field as a TE. His strength in college was lining up wide to create mismatches and that's how they are going to use him until he improves his overall skills.

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by madness
          I actually like how they're handling Nelson up to this point. The guy really needs to step up his blocking before he can get on the field as a TE. His strength in college was lining up wide to create mismatches and that's how they are going to use him until he improves his overall skills.
          Exactly.

If they want to take advantage of his skills right away then lining him up at TE may not be the best way.

Getting him acclimated with the routes however will allow them to use him as a 3rd or 4th WR with speed and size and great hands.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
            • Feb 2005

Schouman is the closest thing we have to an all purpose tight end... So he'll be the starter at the beginning of the season... With plenty of Fine and Nelson sprinkled in.

I could see Fine overtaking Schou at some point... Ultimately the depth chart will read Fine, Nelson, Schou by the end of '09.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

Schouman will start the year unless Nelson lights up TC and preseason.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

I think it will be Ruben Gant
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Scumbag College
                  • Oct 2002

No TEs. The Bills are bringing back the Run and Shoot.
                  Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

a whole stable of TE's, all equally unproven. Once again, we lead the league in "potential."
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                      • Apr 2005

Hey thats great Op. Anyways. I think Fine showed some flashes last year and think he could take Schouman for the starting role, and I hope Nelson finishes the season with it.
                      Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 06-29-2009, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

It's like asking which socks I want to buy at Wal-Mart
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by madness
                          I pretty much agree with this. Nelson has more upside than any TE the Bills have ever had, but he will be a liability every time he's asked to block. He's shown some potential as a blocker. He just hasn't done enough of it to contribute as such in the NFL. In order to take advantage of his explosiveness as a receiver early, the Bills are working him more as a receiver, and having him line up outside where he did in college. I assume as he demonstrates his confidence and competence as a receiver, they will start working on his blocking more. The risk of this approach is that the Bills will be telegraphing too much to the defense what their intentions are. If Nelson is in the game, the defense will know it's going to be a passing play, unless Schonert deliberate designs some deception into this approach. The Bills could run some out of a spread formation with Nelson in the lineup, for instance.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• billogic99
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                            Why should it be?

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

there really is not a ton of talent at this position on our roster. nelson is still an unknown, he came from a smaller d1 school and he has not even been through an NFL training camp yet, schouman always has an injury and does not hold the talents of a starting caliber NFL tight end. our best TE on the roster as of today is fine. he is a decent blocker and runs good routes and catches just about everything thrown to him but we really havnt seen enough of him to know if he is a starting TE or just a compliment one. nelson i dont see ever being more than just a recieving threat at the position. he is never going to be a TE you put in during obvious running situations to block. i just see this position as our weakest among all of the offensive positions. at least if one of our rookie guards are not ready to start we have mckinney who had alot of NFL starts underneath his belt at C and G. at TE none of them have alot of expirience.

Comment

Working...
                              X