• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

The Bills completely blew the McGee/Greer situation

Now, let me preface this by saying I like Terrence McGee. He contributed as a returner from the instant he was drafted, and while it took him some time to develop, he's been a very solid corner for us over the last few seasons. From a football standpoint, I have absolutely no problems keeping the guy.

It's the business end of things that concerns me. McGee is 29 and looking for a new contract. As a starting CB, that could put him in the $7 million a year range, and he'll be north of 30 when it kicks in. Jabari Greer went to NO for something in the neighborhood of $5 million a year, which is very reasonable for a starting CB. Greer is 2 years younger than McGee, but has a lot less mileage on his body due to the fact that it took him longer to develop into a starting role and the fact that he never returned kicks.

On top of that, the Bills still need help at DE, DT, OLB, OL and S. We could have signed Greer, traded McGee for another player because his value is still high, and had one less hole plus an extra $2 million in cap space (roughly- we don't know what McGee will get just yet).

We would have been fine at CB with Greer, McKelvin, Florence, Corner, and Youboty, plus Lankster looks talented too (although, to be fair, the Bills had no way of knowing that when they chose not to resign Greer).

The Greer situation is over and done with, so given where we are now, I hope the Bills re-sign McGee. But from a business standpoint it looks like the Bills blew it again. This type of decision by the moronic FO is what constantly holds this team back.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 08-27-2009, 04:26 PM.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Buffalogic
    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
    • Feb 2006

Re: The Bills completely blew the McGee/Greer situation

The bills completely blew 'insert topic here'.

You are done reading an OP post, move along.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Wagon Circler 22
      The bills completely blew 'insert topic here'.

You are done reading an OP post, move along.
      I don't want to get in an argument over my tone/attitude/outlook. It's a huge waste of time.

If you have a comment on the McGee/Greer situation, I'll be more than happy to respond.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Buffalogic
        • Feb 2006

Shake it up a little Op, give us something we don't expect for a change.

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

McGee has consistently been one of our best corners since he arrived. Greer was basically a one year starter. I don't see the problem with paying McGee for a couple more seasons.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
            • Apr 2005

Op , I can't disagree with a single thing you pointed out . But...............
            we're talking the Bills front office here. How many of their latest great works have succeeded ? You made to much common sense.
            I often wondered if any of them (front office lackeys) ever read any of the Bills forums . Every once in awhile , they could learn something from the fans!

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• Devin
              The Octagon
              • Apr 2003

Greer has dne exceptionally well in camp/pre-season I was really dissapointed we let him go. I know they are quite big on him here in NO.
              http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
                Now, let me preface this by saying I like Terrence McGee. He contributed as a returner from the instant he was drafted, and while it took him some time to develop, he's been a very solid corner for us over the last few seasons. From a football standpoint, I have absolutely no problems keeping the guy.

It's the business end of things that concerns me. McGee is 29 and looking for a new contract. As a starting CB, that could put him in the $7 million a year range, and he'll be north of 30 when it kicks in. Jabari Greer went to NO for something in the neighborhood of $5 million a year, which is very reasonable for a starting CB. Greer is 2 years younger than McGee, but has a lot less mileage on his body due to the fact that it took him longer to develop into a starting role and the fact that he never returned kicks.

On top of that, the Bills still need help at DE, DT, OLB, OL and S. We could have signed Greer, traded McGee for another player because his value is still high, and had one less hole plus an extra $2 million in cap space (roughly- we don't know what McGee will get just yet).

We would have been fine at CB with Greer, McKelvin, Florence, Corner, and Youboty, plus Lankster looks talented too (although, to be fair, the Bills had no way of knowing that when they chose not to resign Greer).

The Greer situation is over and done with, so given where we are now, I hope the Bills re-sign McGee. But from a business standpoint it looks like the Bills blew it again. This type of decision by the moronic FO is what constantly holds this team back.
                sadly, i agree even though McGee is probably my favorite player. that said, i hope we re-sign him so my jersey is still current!

Comment

• Buffalogic
                  • Feb 2006

The bills over the years have proven to be a CB mill so I don't see why this would change with McGee. Winfield then Clements, the next in line to leave is probably McGee.

I find it very intriguing that the bills continue to develop pro bowl caliber talent at the CB position. The bills screw up a lot of areas but they have done really well when it comes to CB development/production so I guess I trust whatever they do when they decide what to do with McGee.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

i wouldnt say completely blew but its an interesting point

i was surprised the bills just let greer walk but i assumed they just didnt think he was worth what greer thought he was. the bills must have made him some kind of offer to stay, i wonder how far apart they were

statistically theres no comparison, but greer got less starting opptys, and admittedly just isnt the playmaker mcgee is

if greer gets five mil and mcgee gets seven then is their play two mil apart? what if mcgee gets more?

right now id still take mcgee but i liked greer enough to say he could close that gap with his play enough to make it a worthwhile swap
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Jeff1220
                      H to the 12:20
                      • Jul 2002

I agree completely, but I think the Bills FO probably over-analyzed themselves. They probably figured that Yobouty or Corner would develop (as well as McKelvin obviously) and become a bargaining chip in negotiations w/McGee. If there's interest in McGee for top dollar, I see the Bills FO letting him walk too, just like most other DBs developed on this team.

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

From what I understand, the Bills were interested in Greer the whole time and had a contract offer on the table...but he chose to string them along and then signed with New Orleans for a lot less than we all thought. Once Florence signed his deal, the Bills took the contract offer off the table and Greer signed with the Saints.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

Where I will disagree with you is that I don't think Greer is as good as McGee and is overvalued by Bills fans.

He is a good player and a good story as a UDFA that made it, but I think McGee is quite a bit better as a CB.
                          Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

since when does it matter if the bills spend a couple million on a guy.. they dont use all their money anyway.. and we have no idea what they are going to pay mcgee anyway.. that said.. if it is more than greer, so what.. he is a better corner and deserves more money.. on top of being a pro bowl caliber returner.
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Greer hasn't proven to be better than Mcgee in regular season. greer himself has been inconsistent but then again, who hasn't under this staff?
                              Last edited by justasportsfan; 08-27-2009, 06:33 PM.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X