Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enough about Bobby April.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Enough about Bobby April.

If Jauron doesn't get a pass than why does this guy. His speical team have looked horrible. You realize that blocked field goals are special teams?

Parrish and Mckelvin have done nothing in th pre-season and on top of that we have been getting penalized to death on returns. We had an illegal man down field on a punt.

The only reason that April has been good is about the talent. Moorman, Lindell, Clements, Mcgee, McKelvin, and Parrish. Any ST coach could get the same performance.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Enough about Bobby April.

I think Bobby April deserves the same argument as when people say "Well the Patriots and Tom Brady didn't do very well in preseason either!"

April has proven before that his special teams unit is well-disciplined and talented. When the regular season shows up, April gets the job done. He's proven himself time and time again. A couple preseason games aren't going to change the fact that he's a very good ST's coach.

Jauron, on the other hand....
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE
    If Jauron doesn't get a pass than why does this guy. His speical team have looked horrible. You realize that blocked field goals are special teams?

Parrish and Mckelvin have done nothing in th pre-season and on top of that we have been getting penalized to death on returns. We had an illegal man down field on a punt.

The only reason that April has been good is about the talent. Moorman, Lindell, Clements, Mcgee, McKelvin, and Parrish. Any ST coach could get the same performance.
    when this staff fails this year

jetison them all

i just hope we can be 2-14 bad so we can go sam bradford and a real head coach in one offseason

Thanks
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I agree. And I think they have taken some talent away from ST (finally!) in favor of creating some more on offense and defense.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i wouldn't go as far as your last sentence, but he's looked a bit weak so far. and i'm tired of hearing that april will be a great interim head coach. we have no idea how he'd fair. he could be in way over his head for an interim job.

i think at this point, i'd be willing to part with a top ST unit to get a top coaching and top 10 offenses and defenses. the bills must start over with a blank slate. continuity hasn't helped us one bit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62
    I think Bobby April deserves the same argument as when people say "Well the Patriots and Tom Brady didn't do very well in preseason either!"

April has proven before that his special teams unit is well-disciplined and talented. When the regular season shows up, April gets the job done. He's proven himself time and time again. A couple preseason games aren't going to change the fact that he's a very good ST's coach.

Jauron, on the other hand....

Take away the players I mentioned in my thread and let's see how special Bobby April is.

Teams getting on-side kicks also qualify under specail teams. We lost two games because of this.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0
    I agree. And I think they have taken some talent away from ST (finally!) in favor of creating some more on offense and defense.

Exactly. Look at what a disaster the Parrish thing has become. This guy can't play in a normal offense because of his size.

Alex, I'll take players that can jump a 14 foot bar on youtube but can't contribute on offense or defense for $500.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Take away the players I mentioned in my thread and let's see how special Bobby April is.

Teams getting on-side kicks also qualify under specail teams. We lost two games because of this.
    Haha...you named five of our current best players on ST's. Take away five of the best players from any unit on any team (offense, defense, ST's) and that unit would suck.

Why do you think it was that when Fred Jackson was returning punts due to Parrish's injury, Jackson actually had a HIGHER yards per return than Parrish?

Parrish isn't the only person on punt return duty. There's a lot of blockers who help give him the lanes that he can juke into. April has proven he's done a good job in years prior to this. Like I said, a couple preseason games don't change anything.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The difference is Bobby April unit has performed the past several seasons. Not to mention he has won STs coach of the year twice in recent years, including last year.

He is woking with many new faces, and under new special teams rules. I am not worried about his unit right now.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Thanks
    Thanked 17,693 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bobby April gets a pass because the special teams have been outstanding throughout his entire tenure on the staff. He had a big shake-up last year (losing Wire, Haggan, Stamer, etc) and the STs were still outstanding.

To say any ST coach would get the same performance is silly and not giving credit where credit is due. His STs are the top in the league each year, even with turnover.

The penalties were annoying, no doubt. But looking a little deeper they were one Nelson, Harris and Corto, who was lined up as a gunner in a new role. The blocked FG was on Nelson. So basically it is rookies making the mistakes.

His history is one of excellence. I'll wait to bash the STs until they struggle in the regular season.

Registered User MassEffect218435's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Speaking of Bobby April, I hope that Wilson has the balls to fire Jauron mid-season, then I hope the old fart has the brain to give the spot to April in the interim. No one deserves the opportunity more than April, the guy has been patient and has been the best at what he does for approximately four years, and it hasn't gone unrecognized by the rest of the league.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'll make the case that no other team in the league has put more emphasis on drafting with special teams as a focus than the Bills.

I'll strongly argue that Bobby April will not be a good HC but there is no doubt in my mind that he gets the job because it's classic Bills. He'll come cheap and it won't shake up the status quo.

Brandon is the devil.

Registered User MassEffect218435's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'll make the case that no other team in the league has put more emphasis on drafting with special teams as a focus than the Bills.

I'll strongly argue that Bobby April will not be a good HC but there is no doubt in my mind that he gets the job because it's classic Bills. He'll come cheap and it won't shake up the status quo.

Brandon is the devil.
    I don't know, he appears to be the anti-Jauron. With the right OC and DC I think he could at least be a master motivator, which is something Buffalo hasn't had since Levy quit coaching. Sure he's never been an HC at the NFL level, surround him with the right people and he'll be fine. He certainly wouldn't be the first assistant to become an HC with no experience. In the end, what do you have to lose? It's not like Wilson is going to go out there and spend the money necessary to attract top level coaching talent. Might as well go with a guy who knows the city, team, players, etc... like the back of his hand.
    Last edited by MassEffect218435; 08-31-2009 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Brandon is the devil.
    There's certainly a possibility that April won't be a good HC. It's very, very possible.

But that still doesn't mean you can just say he's not a good ST's coach. He had a lot of new people last year as someone pointed out, and still put together a very good unit. McKelvin's specialty was punt returns in college, but suddenly he's a great kick returner too? I don't think it's coincidence.

Like I said, he may not be a good head coach. But at this point, who else will take over mid-season? As far as I know, almost nobody looks to hire a new person during the year. April will suffice as an interim HC. I'm personally hoping for a proven winner to be the HC, so I hope April doesn't stay there long.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

because just like the bills of the 90's while they sucked during preseason, they were proven during regular season. Same goes with Aprils unit. He's proven.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I love those that trash April..."take away the best players", "draft special teams players", "dick jauron blah blah"...except for a couple of turnovers and a missed on-sides kick you have NOTHING to bash him about.

The guy is respected around the league as a ST guru. Much akin to LeBeau on Defense and as several offensive coordinators. To put this guy down is just searching for reasons to bash the Bills. If let go tomorrow I bet the guy gets at least 15 calls, if not more, before Wednesday 6AM.
    Last edited by Ebenezer; 08-31-2009 at 10:37 AM.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer
    I love those that trash April..."take away the best players", "draft special teams players", "dick jauron blah blah"...except for a couple of turnovers and a missed on-sides kick you have NOTHING to bash him about.

The guy is respected around the league as a ST guru. Much akin to LeBeau on Defense and as several offensive coordinators. To put this guy down is just searching for reasons to bash the Bills. If let go tomorrow I bet the guy gets at least 15 calls, if not more, before Wednesday 6AM.

Special Teams coach who has good players. Not a proven HC. That's all I'm saying.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Special Teams coach who has good players. Not a proven HC. That's all I'm saying.
    you never mentioned HC once in your initial post....you said a lot more by omitting that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The pre-season special teams units are also made up of guys that are going to be working at a gas station in a few weeks. Even April can't polish every turd.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer
    you never mentioned HC once in your initial post....you said a lot more by omitting that.

The thread "enough about Bobby April" refers to the massive amout of talk on him being the interim or next HC.

I thought that was fairly obvious.