• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Byrd as a starter scares me

Originally posted by Lexwhat
    Hey Tatonka! Copeland Bryan got his 1 sack. Remember our bet?

http://www.nfl.com/players/copelandb...e?id=BRY051131
    was that all there was to our bet? 1 sack wins it? i remember making a bet.. just not the conditions.. i will see if i can find it.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Lexwhat
      I thought your original post said that if neither make it, then you get my Zone Bucks?

But no big deal -- it's just zone bucks, haha...

I guess we have 2 separate bets then:
      (a) Bryan getting 1 sack or more this year -- 2100 Zone Bucks.
      (b) Stupar getting 2 or more catches this year -- 2100 Zone Bucks.

It's a deal. And just to keep it real with you, those stats have to be in the NFL.

...Hopefully these 2 scrubs are taken in by some team in the NFL.
      thank god stupar dropped his pass this weekend.. so your halfway there.. with stupar on the roster by default.. im sure you will end up winning both.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Aug 2004

I will admit that I may have underestimated Byrd's abilities as a ball-hawk, but I will stand by my earlier concerns about him in run support at this stage of his career. From what he has shown the last couple of games, I think that he has the chance to become a really good player--even better than he has shown so far--once he has a chance to get stronger in this coming offseason.

I would really like to see him paired with a healthy Whitner or Scott--two guys who are better against the run--for a whole game as the starter at free safety. George Wilson is a 100% effort guy on every play, but he just isn't big enough playing against the run.

If Byrd could play with a strong safety who could cover for his weakness against the run and develop a solid partnership with him, that could really make this Bills' defense very good as it would free up both safeties to concentrate more on what they each do best.
        Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Dujek
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
          I will admit that I may have underestimated Byrd's abilities as a ball-hawk, but I will stand by my earlier concerns about him in run support at this stage of his career. From what he has shown the last couple of games, I think that he has the chance to become a really good player--even better than he has shown so far--once he has a chance to get stronger in this coming offseason.

I would really like to see him paired with a healthy Whitner or Scott--two guys who are better against the run--for a whole game as the starter at free safety. George Wilson is a 100% effort guy on every play, but he just isn't big enough playing against the run.

If Byrd could play with a strong safety who could cover for his weakness against the run and develop a solid partnership with him, that could really make this Bills' defense very good as it would free up both safeties to concentrate more on what they each do best.
          Agreed, Byrd playing alongside Whitner would be a good solid pairing at Safety. People seem to forget that the Bills' troubles against the run this year only appeared after Whitner got hurt.

Comment

• mybills
            81 st zoner
            • Jul 2002

Poz's absence had a little to do with it, too.
            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

might as well play the rookies and let them get their time in...

Comment

• Don't Panic
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Dec 2005

Hindsight is 20/20... Byrd can be awful at run defense (which he's not) at this point so long as he's getting a pick a game. I also love what he and Whitner should bring to the table in terms of how they compliment each other going forward. DBs are definitely one area this team doesn't have to lose sleep over.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                  • Feb 2004

Thats why I don't open threads for some users on here.
                  You have to wait and see how a player plays not just off 1 or 2 games...
                  This is the same thing BYRD did at Oregon...
                  GO Gators!!!!!!
                  GO GATORS!!

Comment

• casdhf
                    • Jul 2002

I dont care about my FS in run support. The 10 other guys on the field can worry about that.
                    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Dujek
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by mybills
                      Poz was missing for the second half of the Pats game and the entire Bucs game, and the Bills shut down both those rushing attacks.

In fact even against the Saints the Bills didn't start giving up big run plays until the second half, after Whitner went out.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mybills
                        Don't be so sure. Both poz and whitner were on the field for the long runs by the jets.

But anyway it looks like I'm eating some crow on this one. Byrd caught on fast.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Lexwhat
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
                          thank god stupar dropped his pass this weekend.. so your halfway there.. with stupar on the roster by default.. im sure you will end up winning both.
                          It's all in fun anyways.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

Wow, who would've thunk it? I was pretty negative about drafting Byrd too, I'm not even going to downplay it.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dujek
                              Agreed, Byrd playing alongside Whitner would be a good solid pairing at Safety. People seem to forget that the Bills' troubles against the run this year only appeared after Whitner got hurt.
                              I agree with you about Whitner. I think he looked far better at the beginning of the season (when he was healthy) than he has his previous 3 seasons. I hope he and Scott come back soon, because that gives the Bills 3 excellent safeties, with a serviceable backup in Wilson.

BTW, cute kid.
                              Last edited by Goobylal; 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Historian
                                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                                He played a little against the Saints and was basically running around like a headless chicken.
                                Which is actually more skilled than the rest of the dildos we have back there...

Comment

Working...
                                X