• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

BSD - Bills’ Lankster Will Be Like Ummm… Active Sunday

Ellis Lankster was drafted by the Bills this past April with very little fan fare. The seventh round selection from West Virginia (former Bills great Darryl Talley’s school) was not expected to make the 53-man roster and at best would compete for a practice squad spot. Still not bad for a kid who played his first two years of college ball at Jones County Junior College.

LINK
    Last edited by patmoran2006; 09-29-2009, 10:41 PM.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: BSD - Bills’ Lankster Will Be Like Ummm… Active Sunday

First time I saw that video...poor guy. Seems very polite, though, addressing the media as "sir" most of the time.

He seems like a playmaker. We're putting young guys in the secondary, but guys who are known playmakers (Byrd, Lankster). I'm really hoping they can bring a different aspect to a defense that seems to be lacking some of that the past few years.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• M
      • Aug 2006

I don't think someone that is hoping for a professional sports writing gig should take pot shots at their subject's perceived disability, tick or what have you. JMO.
      Let's Go Bills ... B B B B B B Bills!

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
        • Mar 2004

Wow thats the first time ive seen dude talk to the press...

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Aug 2004

He may have problems speaking to a group in public, but he certainly appears to be doing a pretty good job of learning how to play cornerback.

I remember seeing him at West Virginia, particularly last season, and I was so unimpressed by what I saw that I was disappointed when the Bills used a draft pick on him. There was one game that stuck in my mind--I forget who it was against, forgive me, I'm getting old!--where the WVU pass defense was utterly helpless against its opponent and Langster seemed to be getting beat almost every other play (at least that was the way it seemed to me). He looked horrible in coverage, although he hustled and didn't give up on plays, even when his teammates seemed to.

But, he looked like a different guy when I saw some clips of him in the OTAs and, then later, playing in the preseason. Everything about his game looked better than it was in college. Which tells me that, indeed, he has been working hard the way that he said that he was.

Hopefully that hard work and improvement has continued since the end of the preseason. While I don't think that Henne and the Miami receivers pose that big of a threat against the Bills' secondary this week, I do think that the depth that the Bills have in the secondary will be tested this season, especially if they have any more injuries in the secondary before the bye week.
          Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Oaf
            Do you read what you write?
            • Jun 2007

Did you really have to put the editorial jests at the speech impediment, Pat?

Originally posted by Pat
            While he proved in the preseason that making plays in limited opportunities was a strength, unfortunately he also demonstrated that speaking to the media was not.
            Originally posted by Pat
            I don’t think Bills fans will like ummm.. Care as long as he handles Miami.
            really?

Comment

• Meathead
              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
              • Jul 2002

if lankster starts talking trash do the bills get charged a time out
              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• ELAYAS
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by CTBills97
                I don't think someone that is hoping for a professional sports writing gig should take pot shots at their subject's perceived disability, tick or what have you. JMO.
                or take shots at anyone's at all...

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                  • Mar 2004

Seriously... Dude CLEARLY has a speech impediment, but seems VERY humble and polite.

It must be EXTREMELY hard for him to have to face the media and speak. ANyone who has ever suffered from a stutter or tick can tell you that nervousness makes it MUCH worse, and they work VERY hard for years to improve it.

Please don't take shots at the guy for it. It's really not funny at all.

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
                    He may have problems speaking to a group in public, but he certainly appears to be doing a pretty good job of learning how to play cornerback.

I remember seeing him at West Virginia, particularly last season, and I was so unimpressed by what I saw that I was disappointed when the Bills used a draft pick on him. There was one game that stuck in my mind--I forget who it was against, forgive me, I'm getting old!--where the WVU pass defense was utterly helpless against its opponent and Langster seemed to be getting beat almost every other play (at least that was the way it seemed to me). He looked horrible in coverage, although he hustled and didn't give up on plays, even when his teammates seemed to.

But, he looked like a different guy when I saw some clips of him in the OTAs and, then later, playing in the preseason. Everything about his game looked better than it was in college. Which tells me that, indeed, he has been working hard the way that he said that he was.

Hopefully that hard work and improvement has continued since the end of the preseason. While I don't think that Henne and the Miami receivers pose that big of a threat against the Bills' secondary this week, I do think that the depth that the Bills have in the secondary will be tested this season, especially if they have any more injuries in the secondary before the bye week.
                    I don't remember Lankster in particular, but was it perhaps the bowl game against UNC? Hakeem Nicks did whatever he wanted in that game, as did a couple other receivers I believe. I knew Nicks was a good receiver, but that game really vaulted him into the first round, imo. Especially when he made the catch behind his back.
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                      • Feb 2009

If he gets activated I hope he or Freddy returns the kicks.

Comment

• mybills
                        81 st zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan

He was a bit inconsistent in the ps. Either he was making big plays, or screwing up badly. All we can hope for is big plays this time.
                        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                          Pinkerton's son
                          • Feb 2006

i didnt think he had a speech imdediment, i think he was just very nervous speaking to the press..

Comment

• ZacGriffi~82
                            • Jun 2003

Yeah, it's pretty simple. If you want to be considered a professional reporter, don't act unprofessionally.
                            www.billsaddiction.com -The Home of Bills Addicts-

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ZacGriffi~82
                              Yeah, it's pretty simple. If you want to be considered a professional reporter, don't act unprofessionally.
                              1- Who said I want to be a "professional reporter" ?

2- In all due respect to him, I have no desire to be another Chris Brown. BSD is not 100% homerism based Bills news. If people want nothing but straight news 24/7, they can go to Buffalo News, Bills.com or wherever else

3- The post also cited Lankster as a very classy person.

4- Sorry, but the internet for better or worse has changed the way some thigns are reported and the topics that are covered. If I wanted to do nothing but report straight news with no edge or at least attempt (futile) at humor or sarcasm , I'd have attempted to go the print publication route.

(Having said that, the post has been taken down, I do, for the most part listen to the majority of readers--and I also spoke to someone with the Bills this morning who politely asked that Lankster not be ridiculed, which I gladly obliged. In THIS case, Lankster has done nothing wrong on the field or off it to warrant any jokes and/or criticism. People like T.O. any many others however, are fair game)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X