Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: So, MNF

I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats. BlackMetalNinja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: So, MNF

Damn, I didn't realize that so many people groveled at the feet of the Wrangler God still. Much like Peyton Manning, I had nothing but the utmost respect for Favre until the last few years. He was undoubtedly one of the best of his era on the field. But the crap he has pulled for the past couple of years is absolutely reprehensible.

His actions revolve around himself at all times and he ignores the impact it has on others. The Packers "made" him retire just about as much as my wife "made" me marry her. He finally chose to walk away from the game after having a solid year following some lousy ones, and again, I respect that. I much rather see somebody go out on top. But he couldn't stay away... he waits until the most inconvenient of times and decides he wants to return.

Well too bad, the Packers had moved on based on his actions and they were 100% right to not want him back at that point. They do him a favor and trade him so he can continue to play, despite the fact that it taints the legacy he left in Green Bay, where he was absolutely idolized, despite what happened late in his career up to that point. He comes back, plays decent early for the Jets and then implodes, as is typical late in the year, playing horrendously down the stretch.

Then as this season starts, he pulls out the "I was injured, the Jets MADE me play" excuses to cover up how bad he was. Complete and utter B.S. If he was hurt and knew it, which he clearly did, he has to be the one to say I can't play, it won't be good for the team. But no, once again, egomania steps in and the streak must continue. Organization #2 thrown under the bus.

And obviously the joke of yes I'll play, no I won't, yes I will this year with Minnesota was pathetic. The Vikings became handcuffed by letting him do it and I'm sure there are still a number of players that are very resentful that Favre was able to completely skip the worst part of any NFL season and just show up and be the conquering hero yet again.

Sure, it's worked out thus far because they're 4-0, but last I checked that doesn't guarantee anything. Last I checked, Brett Favre is a 40 year old man who's ability dwindles late in the year for the better part of the last 5 seasons. At this very moment is he playing like a top level QB, you bet he is, is that absolutely going to last all year? History says no.

Will he turn around pull this same crap in the offseason... more than likely. I'm sorry, but his off the field antics far outweigh his on the field performance in my eyes and I've lost all that respect I once had for him, and he has nobody to blame for that but himself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't agree about Favre. I think he handled the whole situation with dignity and class. You only get one chance at life and he did his part in GB and if he thought he could play so much then he had a right to a trade...a right so much that I believe it was in his contract. That's right, it was negotiated as part of the expectations. And he didn't want to go to NY but he went and he tried and he did play injured. Overall, what you heard was the banter in the media about his "retirement" and then he was playing again. All of that head overshadowed anything about the the teams that were involved and they continued to focus on what was good for them. I think it's too bad that people listen to so much media banter they loose touch with reality about what is important in life.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wow, you guys have serious man crushes on Favre, this is some funny ****.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0
    I don't agree about Favre. I think he handled the whole situation with dignity and class. You only get one chance at life and he did his part in GB and if he thought he could play so much then he had a right to a trade...a right so much that I believe it was in his contract. That's right, it was negotiated as part of the expectations. And he didn't want to go to NY but he went and he tried and he did play injured. Overall, what you heard was the banter in the media about his "retirement" and then he was playing again. All of that head overshadowed anything about the the teams that were involved and they continued to focus on what was good for them. I think it's too bad that people listen to so much media banter they loose touch with reality about what is important in life.
    Thank you. Just because a few of these people listened to the media and decided to believe them and hate him, doesn't mean it happened the way the media said it did, and it doesn't mean we have a man crush on him. That's just childish temper tantrum stuff.
    Last edited by mybills; 10-07-2009 at 08:10 AM.
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Dude's Little Ignorant Crony RockStar36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What??

If he knew he could play, why did he retire? That is why I'm mostly annoyed with Favre. He retired and within a few months had already knew he was coming back. It was just a big game with him. Meanwhile, he is showing up at camp and screwing with the Packers and more specifically, Aaron Rodgers.

If I were listening to the media I would be in love with the guy. If anything, I have the completely opposite view on Favre that the media portrays. Hence why I bring up his drug addiction and barely anybody even knows about it. The media will never bring that up. They just bring up how he is a good old gunslinging farmboy who loves to throw the old foosball around in his backyard.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

All this talk about him retiring and coming out of retirement, then retiring again....who the hell cares? The man is fabulous. The man can get it done. I don't care, honestly, if anyone thinks he can't get it done at the end of the season. Right now he's doing it. And.....the game on Monday night was AWESOME!!!!!! It was so great to be there, too. I had a blast, best time I've EVER had at a football game!!!

Well, except when the Bills beat the Patsies at 31-0 in the opener.....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by honey
    All this talk about him retiring and coming out of retirement, then retiring again....who the hell cares? The man is fabulous. The man can get it done. I don't care, honestly, if anyone thinks he can't get it done at the end of the season. Right now he's doing it. And.....the game on Monday night was AWESOME!!!!!! It was so great to be there, too. I had a blast, best time I've EVER had at a football game!!!

Well, except when the Bills beat the Patsies at 31-0 in the opener.....
    And I'm sure you hated him completely for the past decade and a half too, like most Viking fans who turned hypocrite as quick as they possibly could.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

She's a Bills fan first, so that doesn't apply to her. She and I (among others) have always liked Favre, no matter what team he played for, because he's always been one of the best in the league, and that shouldn't be this impossible to understand. Sadly for some of you, it is.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

First of all, you should only be allowed to have one team. It's so convenient to have a "second team" who just so happens to be winning.

Second, any Vikings fan wearing a Favre jersey should be taken out back and beaten. How you can passionately root against a guy for 16 years and all of a sudden love him and cheer for him...there should be laws against that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mybills
    She's a Bills fan first, so that doesn't apply to her. She and I (among others) have always liked Favre, no matter what team he played for, because he's always been one of the best in the league, and that shouldn't be this impossible to understand. Sadly for some of you, it is.
    Yes, it's difficult for me to believe how anybody could still have respect for somebody that's been a tremendous douchebag for the last 2 years. There's a difference between skills and behavior, I don't have to accept one for the sake of the other.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RockStar36
    you should only be allowed to have one # 1 team.
    corrected it for you.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

First of all, you should only be allowed to have one team. It's so convenient to have a "second team" who just so happens to be winning.

Second, any Vikings fan wearing a Favre jersey should be taken out back and beaten. How you can passionately root against a guy for 16 years and all of a sudden love him and cheer for him...there should be laws against that.
    One favorite team. if someone wants a another team to follow when their team doesn't make the playoffs then i could see that. I don't do it but I can live with those who do. Now rooting for multiple teams during the season....not so much

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I know lots of people who play in a fantasy league and they root for lots of teams. That, I cannot do. I also can't see someone rooting for 2 AFC teams, or 2 NFC teams. That's just nuts. I root for the AFC Bills, and then the NFC Giants. Nothing wrong with that, and I've been doing that for 40 & 35 years respectively.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I know lots of people who play in a fantasy league and they root for lots of teams. That, I cannot do. I also can't see someone rooting for 2 AFC teams, or 2 NFC teams. That's just nuts. I root for the AFC Bills, and then the NFC Giants. Nothing wrong with that, and I've been doing that for 40 & 35 years respectively.
    Fantasy gives me no allegiance to teams... it makes me follow individual players and hope they personally do well. It also gives me something to distract myself from the Bills and therefore be able to enjoy football.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's what I don't like about it. I'm out trying to watch a Bills game and 5 guys are near me cheering them on. I thought they were Bills fans. Nope, they all had one of the Bills players on their fantasy team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's what I don't like about it. I'm out trying to watch a Bills game and 5 guys are near me cheering them on. I thought they were Bills fans. Nope, they all had one of the Bills players on their fantasy team.
    Then they were all fools... I haven't had a Bill on my team in years, since you know, we can't score and all.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LtFinFan66
    One favorite team. if someone wants a another team to follow when their team doesn't make the playoffs then i could see that. I don't do it but I can live with those who do. Now rooting for multiple teams during the season....not so much
    Agreed.

I consistently root for whoever is playing Pittsburgh but it's more to root against them. Or in the playoffs I might be pulling for someone (like Arizona in the SB last year). My point was wearing merchandise of another team and full out rooting for them all of a sudden. I wouldn't be caught dead in another team's apparel.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Agreed.

I consistently root for whoever is playing Pittsburgh but it's more to root against them. Or in the playoffs I might be pulling for someone (like Arizona in the SB last year). My point was wearing merchandise of another team and full out rooting for them all of a sudden. I wouldn't be caught dead in another team's apparel.
    100% agree with that

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Agreed.

I don't own a Giants jersey, but I always root for them. Unless they're playing the Bills.