X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Griff
    • Jul 2008

Re: Fewell: I think I can be a candidate, if I choose to be

if it wasn't for Byrd and the sudden drop in special teams play April would be the HC right now.

Comment

• Griff
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Buckets
      So... You guys want a lame duck coach who doesn't think he'sw good enough or doesn't give a s**t for the rest of the year.
      this season is over for us, so yes to have a better next year.

Comment

• HAMMER
        I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Buckets
        So... You guys want a lame duck coach who doesn't think he'sw good enough or doesn't give a s**t for the rest of the year.
        At this point I don't think anyone gives a ***** about the rest of the year, players, coaches, and fans.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

This is just more drama grasping by the drama queens. PF gets to choose if he wants to be a candidate for a job or not. DUH.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
            The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
            • Feb 2005

I wish him well.

somewhere else.
            In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Ed
              Dude
              • Sep 2002

I'm really not a big fan of the Rooney rule. I understand the intent, but is it honestly going to ever help a minority get a HC job? People are going to hire the people they want regardless of race. Forcing teams to interview certain people just seems insulting to everyone involved.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Ed
                I'm really not a big fan of the Rooney rule. I understand the intent, but is it honestly going to ever help a minority get a HC job? People are going to hire the people they want regardless of race. Forcing teams to interview certain people just seems insulting to everyone involved.
                well more african americans are coaches now than they were before. So it is working. its not skin off anyone's back. You interview a capable candidate and make a decision with all of that at your disposal.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                  Next Question!
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Ed
                  Mike Tomlin. He was interviewed because of the rule, and the Steelers ended up being blown away and hired him.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                    We play to win the game!
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Mudflap1
                    Mike Tomlin. He was interviewed because of the rule, and the Steelers ended up being blown away and hired him.
                    Wrong. Pittsburgh interviewed Ron Rivera due to the rule.

But while Rooney's team is here at the Super Bowl with an African-American coach, Mike Tomlin, he says that hiring Tomlin in 2007 had nothing to do with the Rooney Rule.

"Mike Tomlin was not part of the Rooney Rule," Rooney said today. "We had already interviewed Ron Rivera (who is Latino), and so that fulfilled the obligation. We went on, had heard about Mike, called him in and talked to him. He was very impressive. We got him back and talked to him on the phone often and he just showed that he was going to be a terrific coach, which I think he is coming to be. But he was not part of the Rooney Rule."

Comment

• Mudflap1
                      Next Question!
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloBlitz83
                      Wrong. Pittsburgh interviewed Ron Rivera due to the rule.

But while Rooney's team is here at the Super Bowl with an African-American coach, Mike Tomlin, he says that hiring Tomlin in 2007 had nothing to do with the Rooney Rule.

"Mike Tomlin was not part of the Rooney Rule," Rooney said today. "We had already interviewed Ron Rivera (who is Latino), and so that fulfilled the obligation. We went on, had heard about Mike, called him in and talked to him. He was very impressive. We got him back and talked to him on the phone often and he just showed that he was going to be a terrific coach, which I think he is coming to be. But he was not part of the Rooney Rule."
                      What is Dan Rooney going to say at the Super Bowl? "Yes, we interviewed Mike Tomlin because he was black. It's my rule, so I figured I should have done something to back it up. Sure we already interviewed a Latino, but I figured I'd go the extra distance."

Sure, they may have interviewed Ron Rivera, but Rooney is a politician, they brought in a couple of minority candidates. The truth is, Whisenhunt and Grimm were the frontrunners far and away, but they brought in Tomlin (minority candidate who perhaps in the past may not have been given the interview since Whisenhunt and Grimm were both considered the strongest choices), and Tomlin blew them away.

Let me put it another way. Rooney was the creator of the Rooney Rule. Yes, it covers minority candidates. However, being realistic, most minority candidates in the NFL are black. That means, most people probably think, when they hear "Rooney Rule", that the team probably needs to interview a black candidate. Rooney knows this. While Tomlin obviously is a very good coach and had the credentials, you can't tell me that somewhere in Rooney's mind, the thought process of "I'm the originator of this rule, so maybe I should extend the olive branch a little further and bring in a couple of minority coaches to set a good example" didn't go through his mind. After all, it's not like the Steelers change head coaches very often.
                      Last edited by Mudflap1; 11-23-2009, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• Ed
                        Dude
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                        well more african americans are coaches now than they were before. So it is working. its not skin off anyone's back. You interview a capable candidate and make a decision with all of that at your disposal.
                        Right, but I think those coaches have made it on their own merit and would still be head coaches without the rule. I just don't think it's neccessarily helped, or else that would imply that teams wouldn't have considered hiring a minority on their own.

Comment

Working...
                        X