Thread: Jake Locker, QB, Washington

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jake Locker, QB, Washington

Jake Locker, Washington
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 223.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.59.
    Projected Round (2011):

Career Stats:
    YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
    2007 155 328 2062 47.3 6.29 98 14 15 17 105.01
    2008 50 93 512 53.8 5.51 48 1 0 10 103.55
    2009 230 395 2800 58.2 7.09 51 21 11 28 129.75

Comments:
    10/03/09- vs. Notre Dame- Nice blend of athleticism, decision making, and leadership. Makes all the throws. Strong arm, very accurate. A proven winner. Size is good, strength is good. Mentally tough. Not overly quick with his feet but isn't a statue either. Supposedly has 4.4 speed, but I dont see that in at least one scramble. Good decision making; can change the play at the line. But, will also make a poor decision from time to time. Will sit in the pocket too long at times. Nice drive before the half, can really lead the offense when he needs to. Makes clutch plays even with players in his face. Drives from the 10 yard line with under 2 minutes left all the way down the field with on the money throws. Had the ball tipped for what looked like an INT but wasn't. Great throws for the tie in overtime but the WR dropped it. Shows good mental toughness. he will win games in the NFl for some team. Id say hes a 2nd or 3rd rounder at this point. If he continues to get better he could sneak into late 1.

10/17/09- Beautiful early 1st bootleg throw for a TD. He shows you what a play making QB can do. Hes very willing to wait for guys to get open... he doesn't usually force things. Gritty is a good word for this guy. Can throw on the run.

10/24/09- vs. Ore- Plays in a pro-style offense. Has a very nice drive in the 1st but then makes a poor throw at the goal line on the run and throws an easy INT. Can be inconsistent. On one play he can drill a throw down the field 30 yards on a rope. And on the very next play completely miss his RB on a short screen throw. Throws a 20+ yarder over the middle right into the hands of his receiver and away from the defender. Follows that play with a 30 yard throw to the 10 but into double coverage for a pick.

Comments:

9/5/2010- vs. BYU

1st Qtr:
    12:58- Nice job rolling out and throwing a tight spiral with very good velocity.
    10:58- Throws it out of bounds. Really strange looking mechanics on this play. He released it really quick and it looked like he flicked it out there. Not a nice spiral either.
    10:50- Locker drops the ball on the hand off. So far he isnt erasing any "polish" question marks.
    10:02- Nice job standing in the pocket with poise and drilling the ball to the WR for a TD. Arm strength is very good. He does has a compact delivery.
    5:41- Quick pump fake and then turns and drills the ball. Very good velocity.
    4:40- Throws it a bit too high.

2nd Qtr:

14:54- Nice run out of the endzone. He has very good speed for a QB.
    11:31- Appears to be going to the primary guy almost exclusively.
    10:31- Nice throw on the intermediate out route. drills the ball. Great accuracy putting the ball away from the defender.
    9:41- Shows nice poise on this play, checks down to the FB in the flat for a 1st down.
    9:20- Another nice job going through progressions.
    8:43- Nice job faking the pass and running for the TD. They use him as a RB fairly often.
    5:37- Not a big fan of their play calling. They run Locker on a 3rd down and come up short.
    0:23- Nice pocket presence, scans the field, rolls out and then throws it away.
    0:18- Nice deep throw for a big completion. The WR turns around for it.
    0:08- Nice job rolling out from the pressure and threw it away to stop the clock.
    0:04- Totally errant throw. Threw to no one. Must have been a mis-communication.

3rd Qtr:
    13:42- Great pocket presence. Feels the pressure, steps up into the pocket to avoid it and throws the ball way down field and on target. The DB broke it up.
    13:06- More stupid play calling. Its 3rd and 10, he lines up in the shotgun and then run Locker up the middle.
    5:26- Throws the ball high and behind the WR.
    4:09- Nice throw on the run.
    3:40- Jumps over tacklers on this run. He's very athletic.

4th Qtr:
    14:42- Perfect throw on the cross route over the middle.
    14:01- Off target throw behind the WR and toward the defender.
    13:48- Unblocked defender sacks him. He sees the pressure and just eats it.
    13:07- Nice poise with pressure, waited and then drilled the ball in there.
    12:24- 4th and 2, rolls to the right and makes a bad throw right at the defender.
    9:30- Pump fake and thrown too high.
    7:54- Another pump fake and throws behind the WR to no one.
    7:48- Stepped out of pressure but then throws the ball off target over the middle.
    3:52- Beautiful throw over the middle for a big gain.
    1:51- 4th and 6, game on the line. He throws a pass to his TE who was double covered ad it gets tipped at the line.

Overall, Locker has shown better decision making and poise in this game. The play calling was awful, but Locker did his job. However, he also made some bad throws with the game on the line. He has great arm strength, can run, and usually has decent accuracy.

10/04/2010- vs. USC

1st Qtr:
    11:18- runs to the left throws back to the RB.
    10:58- Quick slant, drills the ball on the money for a decent 1st down gain.
    9:38- Called run, didn't go for much of anything.
    8:53- Short to Kearse. Has a very quick release and compact delivery.
    8:31- Play action roll to the left. Throws it short to the RB on the run. He can certainly make decent throws on the run.1
    8:01- Attempted a fade in the endzone. Put too much air under it. Would have liked to see him scan the field a bit , he had time.
    7:56- Bad throw which was off target to an open guy across the middle of the endzone to kill the drive.
    3:30- Fake hand off, throws a wobbly ball for a reception short.
    2:24- Nice throw but a but high.
    2:20- Nice throw with some pressure to the outside shoulder of Aguilar. Isnt going through any progressions though, he's been throwing quickly to the primary guy.
    0:42- Play fake, feels the pressure and runs for it but for little gain. He does a good job feeling the pressure but may rely on running too much.
    0:09- Short pass. He never looked off the primary guy which may be bad if DB's squat on him, but he did wait for the guy to get open.

2nd Qtr:
    14:54- Deep throw into the endzone. He displays very good arm strength and a tight spiral, good velocity, and solid mechanics. However, it was a bit behind the receiver, but the distance was right.
    14:42- Called run, is very much a threat with his speed and wiggle. Nice big gain.
    14:25- More great ability to feel the rush... gets the ball out on the short screen.
    11:52- Play fake, long throw, 44 yard throw for a TD. The ball seemed to be a bit behind Aguilar but if he threw it much farther he would have been out of bounds beyond the endzone. No issue with his arm strength its certainly an NFL arm.
    8:56- Maybe the first play where he goes through a progression in this game. Its a play action roll out to the left, as he's running he looks to the WR along the left sideline and then goes to the WR to the left middle.
    8:24- Designed keeper, shows his 4.4 speed. Unfortunately, he needs to hang on to the ball.
    2:06- Shows you he's got plenty of toughness on this run, he can get banged around and get up.
    1:48- Another example of good pocket presence. Feels the rush, doesn't see his man open down field and rolls to the right then throws to an open WR for a big 1st down. Very nice play. He is solid throwing on the run.
    1:39- Out of the shotgun delivers a strike for another big 1st down. It was a quick throw to the primary guy.
    1:33- Highlight play. Its just a short pass. But, what it shows is very good pocket presence again moving out when the rush is coming, maintaining the look down field where he goes through the progression and finally completes it to a guy who gets him 8 yards short. He made something out of nothing.
    1:13- Yet another example of sound pocket presence. Felt the pressure and didn't try to force it. Then completed a short dump off after avoiding the rush.
    0:40- Locked on to the primary guy and way overthrew it. He had a man open underneath to the left with plenty of time left. Killed the drive. FG.

3rd Qtr:
    14:07- Pump fake, looks down field but then moves up into the pocket and shuttles it to the short man for a nice gain. Again good feel in the pocket and quick decision making.
    13:00- Nice throw on a roll to the left throwing back to the right. Drills it in there for a 1st down.
    10:49- Incomplete on the slant. Led him a bit too much. Ha shad very few incompletions to this point.
    10:43- Drop on the intermediate out. Locker never looked him off, he should have caught it.
    10:00- Seems like quite a few missed opportunities in the redzone. Another FG.
    7:50- Bad throw on this roll out to the right. Throws at the WR's feet.
    7:44- Takes a sack. Just held on to long.
    4:29- Another highlight play. Rolls out to the right and makes a terrific throw with great velocity and a tight spiral to the intermediate out.
    2:38- Jailbreak pressure. Breaks free from a would be tackle and drills the ball for a 1st down.
    1:59- Throws a rainbow to no one on this roll out. May have been tipped.
    0:22- Highlight of his running ability. Jukes Shareece Wright (CB) out of his shoes for a big run.

4th Qtr:
    6:43- Great feel for the pressure throwing it to the RB short but he dropped it.
    6:13- Loads of play action in this game.
    6:07- Big 3rd down and he throws a bit behind Kearse on the short, quick slant on the left.
    6:03- This is what scares me about Locker. He had #18 wide open deeper on the right sideline, but threw into coverage over the middle to his primary guy for an incompletion. He seesm to lock on to the primary guy almost exclusively. It was a 4th and 8 play down deep in USC territory.
    2:18- Shotgun. Stripped, Wash recovers the fumble. Locker didn't feel the pressure.
    2:08- Kearse drops it. Locker put it where it needed to be.
    2:03- This is a big play for Locker, move up into the pocket due to the rush. You can watch his head looking all over the field, and drills it to the guy over the middle for a big 1st down.
    0:32- Locker with a huge run for a 1st down on a 3rd and 5 play.
    0:03- Great fiery attitude on the sideline yelling at his team to get the big kick for the win.

Locker showed in this game everything an NFL team would want to see with one exception which I will get to later. Locker has elite athleticism for the position. He is a rugged player who can take the licks. He's got very good pocket presence and can scramble to get extra yards with his feet but is equally adept at throwing on the run. His mechanics are sound, he points his front foot, his motion is compact, and he puts great zip and spiral on his throws. Hes exceptional, for a QB, on the run. He's very quick and fast but also has enough wiggle to juke some men. He's a very good dual threat throwing and running. Locker made sound decisions in thsigame and kept the ballmoving by making something out of nothing many times. However, he locks on to his primary target almost exclusively. It could be by design in this up tempo offense where he gets the ball out quick or runs. But, he needs to show an ability to consistently go through progressions and find the open man. Right now he will pull it down and run with it or scramble/roll-out which will sometimes open up a guy that he can throw to. In the NFL, he will need to be able to go through progressions. Its not that he cant, its that we haven't seen it enough.

11/18/2010- vs. UCLA

1st Qtr:

5:15- Horrible throw right at the defender. If the DB had hands it was an easy pick.
    3:53- Rolls out and throws it behind the defender for an easy pick that puts them on the 32. Turns into a FG attempt which was missed.
    0:35- Never looked off his primary guy, ran and bounced off tackles for a decent gain.

2nd Qtr:
    8:43- Just heaves it up into double coverage. The soft, wobbly throw could have easily been picked.
    8:40- Throws the ball too high to the TE in the flat.
    5:57- Nice job running for the TD.
    3:00- Another off target throw.

3rd Qtr:
    11:42- Way overthrew the receiver in the end zone.

Links:
    http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-fo...er_jake01.html
    http://jakelocker.com/blog/
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._locker11.html
    http://www.pac-10.org/sports/m-footb...061109aac.html
    http://blog.seattlepi.com/prepsports...ves/104580.asp
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._locker24.html
    http://blog.oregonlive.com/pac10/200...g_entry_9.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8yDIretKFc
    Last edited by X-Era; 11-18-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Jake Locker, QB, Washington

Updated

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

thanks dude!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 842 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Just by reading your summary XEra it looks like he still isn't as accurate as he needs to be?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Zhivago
    Just by reading your summary XEra it looks like he still isn't as accurate as he needs to be?

He plays on a mediocre team

Put him on 1 of the top teams in the NATION and he would light the NCAA on fire...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Zhivago
    He's still erratic at times. Most of the time he delivers the ball where it needs to be. But he can throw it a bit high, and sometimes throw it to no one. I think the later may be the WR running the wrong routes. So, I wouldnt say its not NFL worthy, only that he will need to continue to work those kinks out.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by tampabay25690
    He plays on a mediocre team

Put him on 1 of the top teams in the NATION and he would light the NCAA on fire...
    Absolutely true. I think its ridiculous how much they run him. They are going to get him killed. The play calling was bad as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Updated

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Good read, from what you said it looks like he is a potential pick for us.

Almost sounds like another Jim Kelly. I think if you get him with the right coaches and work with him he could develop into a top 15 QB.

In my honest opinion I would rather draft Luck, but if he does not come out and we go Locker I would say play Brohm or Fitz to start the season and then play him at end or the year after. That way he can develop and learn and we can hopefully get a better team around him before we shatter his confidence.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Locker reminds me of Steve Young.
    Mallett reminds me of Kelly.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24
    Good read, from what you said it looks like he is a potential pick for us.

Almost sounds like another Jim Kelly. I think if you get him with the right coaches and work with him he could develop into a top 15 QB.

In my honest opinion I would rather draft Luck, but if he does not come out and we go Locker I would say play Brohm or Fitz to start the season and then play him at end or the year after. That way he can develop and learn and we can hopefully get a better team around him before we shatter his confidence.
    I think Luck could have Bradford like success early due to his ability to command an offense and go through progressions. Locker may need a bit more time to develop that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era
    I think Luck could have Bradford like success early due to his ability to command an offense and go through progressions. Locker may need a bit more time to develop that.
    Oh I agree. I would rather have Luck if I had my choice. My fear is luck does not come out and it is between Mallett and Locker I am not sure who I would take if I took one at all.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24
    Oh I agree. I would rather have Luck if I had my choice. My fear is luck does not come out and it is between Mallett and Locker I am not sure who I would take if I took one at all.
    Toss up. The nice part is the Bills could easily have their choice of either even if they dont end up with the top pick. Locker is the only one of the two that could be drafted #1 overall IMO, and the Lions will be in the mix of the top 3 teams and they wont draft QB. That means even if we pick 3, theres a good chance we get our pick of either. Add Luck in if he blots and we are virtually guaranteed to be able to pick either Locker or Mallett.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As I understand it, his development has suffered from poor coaching in his college career. If coaching is the only issue, he could be a gem in the rough with lots of positive qualities.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ
    As I understand it, his development has suffered from poor coaching in his college career. If coaching is the only issue, he could be a gem in the rough with lots of positive qualities.
    I believe he didn't even have a QB coach until his junior year at Washington.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ
    Steve Sarkisian (ex-BYU QB) is the coach and has been reported to be very good. Locker has a bad supporting cast but seemed to plateau and never took the next step beyond being indecisive, erratic, and inconsistent. He has all the tools in the world, and has good character, but he just didn't progress.

Could he in the NFL? I could see it. At some point in the draft, Locker could be a steal. Especially if he has an opportunity to sit and learn behind a decent QB and with a solid coach known for developing QB's.
    Last edited by X-Era; 03-16-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era
    Steve Sarkisian (ex-BYU QB) is the coach and has been reported to be very good. Locker has a bad supporting cast but seemed to plateau and never took the next step beyond being indecisive, erratic, and inconsistent. He has all the tools in the world, and has good character, but he just didn't progress.

Could he in the NFL? I could see it. At some point in the draft, Locker could be a steal. Especially if he has an opportunity to sit and learn behind a decent QB and with a solid coach known for developing QB's.
    X you are right Sarkisian is known for working with QB'S thats why I am surprised he had the year he did.

I think if Locker played on a better team he would have impressed a bit more....
    BUT even in the combine and in drills his accuracy has been off.
    I still like the guy and I think a fit in Buffalo if he is there in the 2nd round would be a nice fit for him and Buffalo.....