Thread: Weiss a good choice?

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Weiss a good choice?

Vote in poll here

and leave a comment on this board.

I am working on a Weiss follow-up story for this week getting reaction from Bills fans.

I want to publish some of the more insightful, and probably funny responses.

Thanks!

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League) Prov401's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Weiss a good choice?

It's funny. Usually it's the college head coaches who don't work out in the NFL.

Could it be the other way around with Weis? Is he an NFL coach, who doesn't work out in college?

I'll tell you what, professionally Weis has a very, very impessive resume'. He's been to 5 Superbowls. One with the Giants as an offensive assistant in 1991, one as a tight ends coach with the Patriots in 1996, and another 3 with the Pats as their OC. He's been under Parcells, and Belicheck. He's brought a young Brady to the Superbowl with Troy Brown, and David Patten as his top two recievers. Oh, not to mention Antoine Smith as his premiere back.

The pro resume' is there for sure. I'm not much of a college guy, but one of the main arguments is Notre Dame isn't as attractive anymore to these kids coming out of High School, as USC, UF, Alabama, OK, etc. Maybe he just couldn't quite convince some of the top tier athletes to come to ND. I'm not against Weis becoming our HC, as long as we get a good GM to go with him.

Hell, maybe we can get Crennel in here as DC if Weis is hired.
    Last edited by Prov401; 12-28-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not to be an ass, but if you want to write a story about Weis, you should probably learn to spell his last name.

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

lol sorry i just slapped that on

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm just at odds with people who want Gruden or Billick over Charlie Weis, I just don't understand it. Both of these guys won because of their defenses, not their offenses. Charlie Weis has helped QBs like Tom Brady, Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen develop, his resume as an offensive guru is FAR more credible than any other name on the market. If Shanahan, Fox & Cowher are off limits, then we need to take a long hard look at Weis, especially if we want a solid QB here in the next millennium.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by PECKERWOOD
    I'm just at odds with people who want Gruden or Billick over Charlie Weis, I just don't understand it. Both of these guys won because of their defenses, not their offenses. Charlie Weis has helped QBs like Tom Brady, Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen develop, his resume as an offensive guru is FAR more credible than any other name on the market. If Shanahan, Fox & Cowher are off limits, then we need to take a long hard look at Weis, especially if we want a solid QB here in the next millennium.
    Agreed, to an extent. I mean, the guy has definitley worked with some great QB's...In the pro's. Simms, Bledsoe, Testeverde, and Brady. That's not a schabby group, and he coached with them while they were all at their bests. However, he hasn't developed a QB out of college. Quinn has greatly disappointed, and Calusen will be another gamble IMO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I honestly think this might be the guy we end up with. I couldn't tell you if that's a good or bad thing. Nobody's been successful at Notre Dame since Holtz, so maybe some of Weis' failings can be attributed to the school and athletic program.

At least we'd have a guy capable of grooming a young QB and building an offense. I'd take him in a hot minute over Mike Martz. A guy who runs an offense that would be sure to fail in the Buffalo winter.

!?!?!?!?!?
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TE2Hard-E81
    Agreed, to an extent. I mean, the guy has definitley worked with some great QB's...In the pro's. Simms, Bledsoe, Testeverde, and Brady. That's not a schabby group, and he coached with them while they were all at their bests. However, he hasn't developed a QB out of college. Quinn has greatly disappointed, and Calusen will be another gamble IMO.
    Brady...right out of college

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BILLSROCK1212
    Brady...right out of college
    Brady sat behind Bledsoe in 2000.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I would like wise if he could bring someone like Crennel in as defensive coordinator due to Weis's history of not working on the defensive side of the football based on feedback from ND fans.

One has to wonder if Quinn being away from Weis has had an adverse affect on his development.
    Last edited by don137; 12-28-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

wow, 38% said yes?

So sad.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY!
    wow, 38% said yes?

So sad.
    Weis is a great coach... just not a great college recruiter.

If we get a good football guy to run the football department, Weis would be a good fit.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As I understand, one of Weis' shortcomings as coach of Notre Dame was that he paid too little attention to what was happening on the defensive side of the team. If I am the GM of the Bills, or whoever does this hiring, some of the first few questions I ask him in the interview are:

Who do you think you can get in here as defensive coordinator? and

What kind of defense do you anticipate running here, and how do you anticipate getting the personnel to run it effectively.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner mikemac2001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I just want a 3-4 defense

MUCK
    FIAMI