X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Nix thoughts on the cover 2, and the QB

Speaking in reference to the weather factor in Buffalo Buddy Nix said "You don''t bring a guy in here that a, a quarterback for example, that's a questionable arm strength. In this wind and this climate, you gotta be able to throw it through that. And so you bring one in that can do that."

4:20 mark.

He also made reference to the fact small quick defensive players get warn down. He specifically mention Indy's defense, and said "You can wear them down, their not very big", and that style of play is built for the dome.

Well,for those that don't know, the Colts defense closely resembles ours in scheme and philosophy.

"I want a coach that is a good teacher, and can develop young talent and you gotta play them in a hurry, because you may not have him but 4 or 5 years."

Thoughts? To me that sounds like a significant change in defense and a new QB. Maybe he tells Fewell to play Brohm this weekend.
    Last edited by yordad; 01-02-2010, 07:18 AM.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Re: Nix thoughts on the cover 2, and the QB

all reports thus far have Fitz starting on Sunday.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

Maybe he shoulda told the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 70s that they weren't very good too.

Oops!

The system would work fine if we had the players for it.

Comment

• yordad
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
        Maybe he shoulda told the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 70s that they weren't very good too.

Oops!

The system would work fine if we had the players for it.
        Did the Steelers have undersized guys all over their cover 2?
        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by yordad
          Did the Steelers have undersized guys all over their cover 2?

Again, as I said, the system would work fine if it had the proper players.

And he brings up this worn down aspect here...maybe if our offense had some semblance of ability they could hold the ball more and sustain drives.

Any defense will get worn down when the offense does a whole lot of nothing.

Using the 1990 Bills as an example, the Giants won the game because they wore down the defense...not that the defense was bad.

Comment

• BillsWin
            man amongst boys
            • Oct 2008

I say all signs point to Ryan Mallet in the first, McNeil in free agency, and transitioning to the 3-4 and going big.

Which I really don't mind.
            I am The Batman.

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
              Again, as I said, the system would work fine if it had the proper players.

And he brings up this worn down aspect here...maybe if our offense had some semblance of ability they could hold the ball more and sustain drives.

Any defense will get worn down when the offense does a whole lot of nothing.

Using the 1990 Bills as an example, the Giants won the game because they wore down the defense...not that the defense was bad.
              Well, even if he kept the scheme but changed the philosophy so that it no longer included undersized guys that would be "significant". Right?

Comment

• yordad
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by BillsWin
                I say all signs point to Ryan Mallet in the first, McNeil in free agency, and transitioning to the 3-4 and going big.

I would be all for that. These comments really lower the likelyhood the Bills would target Bradford, IMO.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Well, even if he kept the scheme but changed the philosophy so that it no longer included undersized guys that would be "significant". Right?

It would be more significant if they picked up players that had skill and not just plugged in guys year after year.

I don't care what the system is, any system can be successful, as long as you have talent that fits it and can execute it.

If we had a 3-4 the past 5 years, everyone would hate that too by now.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

As the Charger fan pointed out to me earlier, McNeill is a RFA, so it'll cost a first and a third at least to pry him from San Diego. Won't be able to do that and draft Mallett in the first.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ByrdsTheWord
                      Veteran Zoner
                      • Jan 2010

Ryan Mallett? ughhh

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Speaking in reference to the weather factor in Buffalo Buddy Nix said "You don''t bring a guy in here that a, a quarterback for example, that's a questionable arm strength. In this wind and this climate, you gotta be able to throw it through that. And so you bring one in that can do that."

4:20 mark.

He also made reference to the fact small quick defensive players get warn down. He specifically mention Indy's defense, and said "You can wear them down, their not very big", and that style of play is built for the dome.

Well,for those that don't know, the Colts defense closely resembles ours in scheme and philosophy.

"I want a coach that is a good teacher, and can develop young talent and you gotta play them in a hurry, because you may not have him but 4 or 5 years."

Thoughts? To me that sounds like a significant change in defense and a new QB. Maybe he tells Fewell to play Brohm this weekend.
                        All that pretty much discards Trent, the cover 2 and dumb decisions like dressing Reed and Jenkins weekly over Hardy and Johnson.

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

I think we could get Mallett in the second.

Nix will look at Derrick Morgan and see Shawne Merriman and I'm hoping that is our pick.

Comment

• yordad
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Mahdi
                            All that pretty much discards Trent, the cover 2 and dumb decisions like dressing Reed and Jenkins weekly over Hardy and Johnson.
                            That is basically what I got from this interview also.

Comment

Working...
                            X