Thread: Frazier, Brian Schottenheimer, Ron Rivera: The Opposing Fan's Perspective

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Frazier, Brian Schottenheimer, Ron Rivera: The Opposing Fan's Perspective

From opposing fans:

Jet Fans on Brian Schottenheimer- They are praying we hire him.

Viking Fans on Leslie Frazier: He plays soft scheme, pass defense bad. Wouldn't miss him.

Ron Rivera: Doing a good job and could be a good head coach seems to be the majority opinion, almost none want him to leave.

I realize that fans often can be wrong but this is what people who watch these guys every week think.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Frazier, Brian Schottenheimer, Ron Rivera: The Opposing Fan's Perspective

Rivera is defantly the one I would want but I don't think Frazier plays too soft a scheme. Sure maybe in coverage but I want a big, physical D and that's what Frazier brings. As I said though I would much rather have Rivera. He's coached two completely defenses well. The guy is smart.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

depends on who you talk to.......... most jet fans want to play a very open pass happy offense, so they are annoyed with having a very tough running game which is boring on the eyes......... i like schotty, but sometimes he is a bit predictable

j-e-t-s
    jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by baalworship
    From opposing fans:

Viking Fans on Leslie Frazier: He plays soft scheme, pass defense bad. Wouldn't miss him.

Ron Rivera: Doing a good job and could be a good head coach seems to be the majority opinion, almost none want him to leave.

I realize that fans often can be wrong but this is what people who watch these guys every week think.
    rivera has a few hiccups, if you saw sd at pitt last year in the playoffs, or this year you'll know he's got issues handling the steelers, a ron rivera D has a real problem getting a steeler team off the field, his D allows long drives, but most of the time shuts down teams around the goal line.

doesn't allow many long scoring plays but like i said, does have that issue of getting off the field on 3rd downs

he's started to blitz well after taking over last year that was a problem, but he turned it up a notch in 09 , which shouldn't come as any surprise as he studied under jim johnson of the eagles.

one thing he really stresses is forcing turnovers, he'll teach the guys to always go after the football and strip it, but not to the detriment of letting someone break loose and go the distance

we're not great at tackling, but it's not because of the strip attempts, in other words.

i believe it's rivera who taught charles tillman in chicago, how to be such a devestating forced fumble machine

Rivera's a good guy....not sure if he's HC material, but ya never know until ya try

if you guys hire him i can only hope dallas loses and fires wade so we can get wade back lol
    Last edited by jcdavey; 01-07-2010 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

While unsure as to how Sanchez is being developed, the interesting thing to me with Schottenheimer, is that when it all started to go somewhat pear shaped, earlier in the season, he fairly quickly went back to basics, and game-planned accordingly.
    To me, that shows a degree of common sense, and also not being stuck in a particular mindset. In some respects, I'm feeling that it may be a touch too early for him to become a HC - ideally you would want to see progression from Sanchez before giving the full 'thumbs up', but I also get the feeling, that he will become a decent HC in the not too distant future.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jcdavey
    rivera has a few hiccups, if you saw sd at pitt last year in the playoffs, or this year you'll know he's got issues handling the steelers, a ron rivera D has a real problem getting a steeler team off the field, his D allows long drives, but most of the time shuts down teams around the goal line.

doesn't allow many long scoring plays but like i said, does have that issue of getting off the field on 3rd downs
    This sounds like what we've got now......give up tons of yards and leave our D on the field forever but do a pretty good job of keeping points off the board.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo! Nighthawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by baalworship
    From opposing fans:

I disagree...fans normally have a good perspective of what is good and bad.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Of the three, and assuming Grimm is not interested, I like Rivera the best as well. Still, it does not sit well with me to see him become our head coach. I don't have the patience to watch him grow into the position. Maybe that's my issue, but it is what it is.

It troubles me that we don't have any solid footing with an experienced coach who is a proven winner (aside from Billick, who I still say was a beneficiary of his surroundings). I feel like if we don't get Cowher we are going to be disappointed...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jcdavey

he's started to blitz well after taking over last year that was a problem, but he turned it up a notch in 09 , which shouldn't come as any surprise as he studied under jim johnson of the eagles.

one thing he really stresses is forcing turnovers, he'll teach the guys to always go after the football and strip it, but not to the detriment of letting someone break loose and go the distance

we're not great at tackling, but it's not because of the strip attempts, in other words.

i believe it's rivera who taught charles tillman in chicago, how to be such a devestating forced fumble machine

Rivera's a good guy....not sure if he's HC material, but ya never know until ya try

if you guys hire him i can only hope dallas loses and fires wade so we can get wade back lol
    if that's how he coaches a defense (more of the same) then I don't even want him as our DC. I'd take Wade back, before "trying" Ron as a HC.
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I thought Buddy wanted to get someone with HC experience. I don't really care for any of these guys myself. If worse comes to worse, I would rather see Fassel, he has an offensive background & has been a successful HC.