Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you have to say about Vanek now?

Sabres Zone
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: What do you have to say about Vanek now?

Sarcasm right?
    “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,197 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

not at all. It's BS to compare Vanek to Satan.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0
    You folks are nuts. The Sabres are a top knotch club and there is not a whole lot of reasonable comparison between Vanek and Satan.
    If you mean top "notch" club who is goes on serious losing streaks through out the year and fighting for thier playoff lives with a very realistic chance of NOT making the playoffs, then Yes, they are a top notch club. IF a top notch club was leading the league in scoring, they should be fighting for home ice advantage not for their playoff lives. "Top Notch Club", now that is funny.

Satan vs. Vanek. Both European, both make boat load of money, both show up occasionally in a game, both are very streaky, both seem very moody. Vanek isn't Satan yet but with 7 year contract in his hip pocket, he is well on his way. He'll be a New York Islander in less than 3 years, ok, maybe 4.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And it seems the worse teams bring out the best in Vanek. For what he is making he needs to be a hell of a lot more consistent. The cream is definately not rising in this case.

As far as comparing Vanek to Satan, you have different linemates and too many intangibles to really compare the two. All I can say if Thomas' last name was Jesus, this thread would become way too funny.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think Vanek is both a better player and goal scorer than Satan, but he does have that streakiness in common.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LOSman WINS
    All you naysayers of Vanek (and you know who you are so don't deny it!)

Lets see...
    you said that he's lazy
    you chewed him up and spit him out
    you said he couldn't score

Well what do you have to say now he's got 31goals not to mention he had 43 goals last season
    I have been behind Vanek the whole time.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SabreEleven
    If you mean top "notch" club who is goes on serious losing streaks through out the year and fighting for thier playoff lives with a very realistic chance of NOT making the playoffs, then Yes, they are a top notch club. IF a top notch club was leading the league in scoring, they should be fighting for home ice advantage not for their playoff lives. "Top Notch Club", now that is funny.

Satan vs. Vanek. Both European, both make boat load of money, both show up occasionally in a game, both are very streaky, both seem very moody. Vanek isn't Satan yet but with 7 year contract in his hip pocket, he is well on his way. He'll be a New York Islander in less than 3 years, ok, maybe 4.
    I mean top notch club from top to bottom. I believe they are built right and just going through some change right now. I'm not worried. They've gotten up towards the top before and they will ascend there again.

Satan is a veteran player with a very bad me attitude. Don't think it's fair at all to put that on Vanek. Give the kid a year or two to mature and see if he grows into his role on this team before you throw him away as the garbage Satan is.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I mean top notch club from top to bottom. I believe they are built right and just going through some change right now. I'm not worried. They've gotten up towards the top before and they will ascend there again.

Satan is a veteran player with a very bad me attitude. Don't think it's fair at all to put that on Vanek. Give the kid a year or two to mature and see if he grows into his role on this team before you throw him away as the garbage Satan is.

I think that they were "built right" a year ago, but when you get beat not only in the game but physically punished like Ottawa did to us in the EC Finals, you have to get bigger. We sat idle and did not get bigger and now look at us.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buffatexas
    I think that they were "built right" a year ago, but when you get beat not only in the game but physically punished like Ottawa did to us in the EC Finals, you have to get bigger. We sat idle and did not get bigger and now look at us.
    and we trounced Ottawa the year before too. Too much wining about how good we were last year and how bad we are this year. That's my point. The organization is built well for the long-haul and will rise up again. The real question should be whether or not the players are willing to come and play here if you ask me not how committed this team is to winning.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

and we trounced Ottawa the year before too. Too much wining about how good we were last year and how bad we are this year. That's my point. The organization is built well for the long-haul and will rise up again. The real question should be whether or not the players are willing to come and play here if you ask me not how committed this team is to winning.
    I think that this edition of the team would do as well, IF it was last year. Unfortunately, the speed game, which we excel at, is changing. Teams are getting bigger. They are crashing the net more and are not hesitant to get in the way of shooters. I do not see the Sabs doing that. We lack size and strength. I would say that if we make some key moves in the offseason to bulk up, then we will be in a lot better shape

All-Pro Zoner BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SabreEleven

Vanek is Austrian not European

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tell me, just where do you think Austria is located?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

Ok, Kelly Pickler

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That post should put this thread in the HOF
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Philagape
    I think you meant this :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

not at all. It's BS to compare Vanek to Satan.
    I agree. It is plain ******ed. Satan was a pussy who would cost around the outside never giving up anything to fight to the front of the net. Vanek lives in that area and is constantly battling. I will agree that he needs to be less streaky but I don't buy the fact that he is a defensive liability. He was a +40 last year for christ sakes. I think that Giant contract he signed made him press WAAY to hard early and it showed. He will be fine.

I saw someone compare him to Ovechkin. WHY? Whats the point. Ovechkin is the best player in the league.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dumbest post in zone history.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,168 Times in 13,657 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You're insane.

A lot of the "young" guys were part of the last two playoff runs, yet you still think they need more experience? You still think they're going to get better? That's illogical.

We have a lot of guys who are due to be FA's after '09, and I'm partially hoping for an off-season fire sale. Keep Hecht, Roy, Pominville, Tallinder, Paille and Kaleta (the last two on potential), maybe Vanek and maybe Miller. Entertain trade offers for everyone else but only bite if the right offer comes along.