Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Re: "IF" we need help...who is expendable?

Originally posted by RockStar36
    He is the only offensive player who consistently scores. I'd be pissed if they traded him.
    He's only been scoring the last 15 or so games because Op *****ed about him.

Comment

• G Wolly
      • Mar 2004

He is the only offensive player who consistently scores. I'd be pissed if they traded him.
      He consistently gets points. I'm still not sold that Connolly is going to keep his gameplay like he has for the past few months.

He can leave without any major complications.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
        • Jan 2003

Here's how statistics can look deceiving:

Tim Connolly's last 4 games:
        Anaheim 1 goal and 1 assist in 5 - 4 loss
        goal scored after down 4 - 0 and assist came with six seconds left (garbage points)
        LA two assists in 4 - 3 shootout loss
        both assists put Buffalo ahead only to be tied later, game over when Connolly didn't score in shootout
        SJ one goal in 5 - 2 loss
        his goal was first in game but ended up being a garbage point in 3 goal loss
        Vancouver one assist in 3 - 2 loss
        assisted on goal that tied game in third before loss

So, two goals and four assists in the last 4 games where we got one point. Didn't help much.

OK, I was baiting with the garbage points comment, but that was for Historian I believe who said Vanek only gets garbage points. I think Connolly is playing some of his best hockey in three years right now, but I don't believe it will last and I don't know if he will be able to keep up the play and/or keep healthy through the playoffs. But I am biased because I have never really been a big fan of Connolly.

Comment

• G Wolly
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
          I think Connolly is playing some of his best hockey in three years right now, but I don't believe it will last and I don't know if he will be able to keep up the play and/or keep healthy through the playoffs. But I am biased because I have never really been a big fan of Connolly.
          My feelings are almost identical. I'm skeptical because of his injury prone history.

So I make it easier on myself by not liking him anyways.

Comment

• JD
            Sabres Zone
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
            I think the shorter list is who is NOT expendable.

Here's mine:
            Miller - MVP
            Myers - future Norris
            Butler - young steady
            Gaustad - future captain of this team
            Grier - yes Grier. no reason to trade him and good leader, tough. I don't think it's a coincidence that this team is playing pretty good since he came back.

Anyone else leaving would not hurt this team right now and there would be reasons why I wouldn't mind seeing any of them leave. Vanek would hurt in the goal production, but would get us the biggest return. He's kind of like Pierre Turgeon or Dave Andreychuck. Roy I wouldn't mind losing and could get a decent return. Then I don't think the trades would really be worth it.
            Not sure how you leave Connolly and Kennedy off that list. No comments needed about Timmay. Kennedy will be a star some day.
            “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• snow1989
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by JD SabreFan
              Not sure how you leave Connolly and Kennedy off that list. No comments needed about Timmay. Kennedy will be a star some day.
              I like Kennedy...god knows the kid's heart is usually in the game, but I wish he was a hair bigger...he gets shoved around in the corners a lot, but I admit he's a gamer.

Vanek could be dangled as trade bait, but frankly with the size of his contract and his current numbers I don't see anyone going for it.
              I've upped my standards...now up yours

Comment

• RockStar36
                Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                • Sep 2004

We'll have to agree to disagree about Connolly.

I argued last year when he got his extension that is basically a point per game player and has been throughout his career with Buffalo, and he has been this year as well.

If Vanek were packaged for something major, I'd be all for that. For the amount of money he makes, he needs to produce more. I like the guy but facts are facts. He either needs to make 3mil less per season or start producing like one of the higher paid players in the league.

D & S Sports

Comment

• SabreEleven
                  • Aug 2002

TIM CONNOLLY IS GOD!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• snow1989
                    • Sep 2003

If Vanek were packaged for something major, I'd be all for that. For the amount of money he makes, he needs to produce more. I like the guy but facts are facts. He either needs to make 3mil less per season or start producing like one of the higher paid players in the league.

I think that would be the problem with trying to package Vanek...his contract. I'm sure other teams see his numbers and what he's being paid and would want some 'sweetners' thrown in....getting rid of him might come at too high a price depending on who we were going for.
                    I've upped my standards...now up yours

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                      • Jan 2003

I'd trade just about any of the people mentioned except Vanek for Shane Doan

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍