Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once AGAIN!!!!

Dude's Little Ignorant Crony RockStar36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Once AGAIN!!!!

Brett Favre throws a crippling interception and pisses away an entire season for this team. Just off the top of my head this is at least the third time I can remember him doing this. (Playoffs against PHI, last game ever for GB, yesterday)

Instead of just running and getting the 5 yards back, he had to be a hero and sling the ball right to the Saints defender.

Vintage Favre.

I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats. BlackMetalNinja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Once AGAIN!!!!

I felt a little vindication, though the Saints didn't cover the spread...

Almost everybody I've seen is picking Minnesota with a fair bit of confidence this week. I understand that if their defense plays like it did last week, New Orleans is in for a very long day, but for some reason, I don't see them having the same success. Instead, I'm imaging a game more like the Vikings contest against Arizona in Week 13, where Favre attempts a ton of passes and ends up throwing some costly interceptions. The Cardinals completely shut down Peterson in that game, so it is certainly attainable for the Saints. I think turnovers determine the winner and Drew Brees makes the most of his chances.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

While that last interception was brutal, Farve was hardly alone in giving that game away. The Peterson and Berrian fumbles were just as costly. I mean, Peterson is supposed to be the best RB in football, right? He puts the ball on the ground entirely too much.

The Vikings should have been up 2 scores at the end of that game, and Favre would never have been in a position where he had to throw the ball. And how does a team come out of a timeout and get called for 12 guys in the huddle? You just can't lay that game at Favre's feet and say he threw it away. The Vikings, as a team, made way too many mistakes to win.

Not to completely dismiss Favre's mistakes. Bills fans should note that he went into yesterday's game tied with Jim Kelly in having the most interceptions in postseason history. He now holds that title alone, along with having the most regular season interceptions. If he does retire, it is fitting his last pass was an interception.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar36
    Just off the top of my head this is at least the third time I can remember him doing this. (Playoffs against PHI, last game ever for GB, yesterday)
    He has done it the last 3 years in a row.
    Last edited by Ickybaluky; 01-25-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NE39
    While that last interception was brutal, Farve was hardly alone in giving that game away. The Peterson and Berrian fumbles were just as costly. I mean, Peterson is supposed to be the best RB in football, right? He puts the ball on the ground entirely too much.

The Vikings should have been up 2 scores at the end of that game, and Favre would never have been in a position where he had to throw the ball. And how does a team come out of a timeout and get called for 12 guys in the huddle? You just can't lay that game at Favre's feet and say he threw it away. The Vikings, as a team, made way too many mistakes to win.

Not to completely dismiss Favre's mistakes. Bills fans should note that he went into yesterday's game tied with Jim Kelly in having the most interceptions in postseason history. He now holds that title alone, along with having the most regular season interceptions. If he does retire, it is fitting his last pass was an interception.

He has done it the last 3 years in a row.
    Agreed with all the fumbles. But despite that, the game was still in their hands at the end and he threw it away. Not to mention 12 men in the huddle. How does that happen? To me, that's coaching. Brad Childress is a brutal coach and his time management on that last drive was awful. Good thing Minnesota extended him this season. That's gonna work out just great.

Peterson, not quite. I've been saying all season that he is no longer the best back in the league. I'd take Chris Johnson over him any day. If he wants to be the best, he needs to hang on to the ball.

And I know the last 3 years in a row, I was more referencing the playoffs. It seems like when his team needs him most, he forces a pass that he shouldn't.

!?!?!?!?!?
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The refs played too much of a factor in the outcome of this game for me to be satisfied with the Super Bowl matchup. I will never consider Saints vs. Colts to be legit neither will I consider the Super Bowl winner to be legit although I will respect the Colts if they win.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BILLSROCK1212
    The refs played too much of a factor in the outcome of this game for me to be satisfied with the Super Bowl matchup. I will never consider Saints vs. Colts to be legit neither will I consider the Super Bowl winner to be legit although I will respect the Colts if they win.
    What? Ok.

The refs did their job. If anything, they babied the hell out of Favre and nailed the Saints often.

The only questionable call I can think of going in the Saints favor was the PI call in overtime, which can be debated if need be.

!?!?!?!?!?
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RockStar36
    What? Ok.

The refs did their job. If anything, they babied the hell out of Favre and nailed the Saints often.

The only questionable call I can think of going in the Saints favor was the PI call in overtime, which can be debated if need be.
    2 1/2 horrific calls

1) Dropped pass in OT was rule a catch for some reason

2) VERY questionable 1st down call (this is the 1/2)

3) PI call

and 1 bad rule

Vikes don't get possession once in OT

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

2 1/2 horrific calls

3) PI call

and 1 bad rule

I'll agree that NFL overtime is awful, but it is what it is. That isn't the refs fault and it isn't the Saints fault for winning the toss. Maybe if the Vikings didn't have their heads up their asses and send 12 men into the huddle, we wouldn't be discussing this. Or if Favre just ran for 5 yards instead of being his typical self and firing the pass right into coverage.

And that pass wasn't dropped in OT. It was reviewed and called a catch. He bobbled it, but it never hit the ground.

!?!?!?!?!?
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RockStar36
    I'll agree that NFL overtime is awful, but it is what it is. That isn't the refs fault and it isn't the Saints fault for winning the toss. Maybe if the Vikings didn't have their heads up their asses and send 12 men into the huddle, we wouldn't be discussing this. Or if Favre just ran for 5 yards instead of being his typical self and firing the pass right into coverage.

And that pass wasn't dropped in OT. It was reviewed and called a catch. He bobbled it, but it never hit the ground.
    I am 100% positive I am not blind and that ball DID hit the ground

also I don't believe I ever said the refs cost the Vikings the gam....the Vikings definitely did everything they could to lose it but in OT the refs played way too much of a factor in the outcome

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I am 100% positive I am not blind and that ball DID hit the ground

also I don't believe I ever said the refs cost the Vikings the gam....the Vikings definitely did everything they could to lose it but in OT the refs played way too much of a factor in the outcome
    Fair enough, you saw it, and all the people reviewing it must have missed it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

2 1/2 horrific calls

3) PI call

and 1 bad rule

1) It wasn't a drop, he had his hand under the ball. His hand hit the ground, not the ball.

2) He clearly got the first down, because of forward progress. I think people are confused because a helmet hit the ball and knocked it down to his waist. However, he never lost the ball so it wasn't a fumble. He somehow was able to hold onto it, so it never hit the ground (great play not losing it). If he loses the ball and it hits the ground then it is a fumble. However, this isn't like a pass where you need to "maintain control". You can move the ball around as a RB, a bobble does not constitute a fumble. With forward progress he advanced the ball beyond the marker.

3) The PI call was shaky, because the ball didn't look catchable. However, I understand the call. There was contact with the ball in the air, and the defender never looked back for the ball. I would have let it go because I didn't think it catchable, but the ref apparently thought if he hadn't been interfered with he would have been able to make the play. That is a judgment call.

To say the refs cost the Vikings the game is laughable. First of all, calls go either way during a game and there are always going to be calls that could be made one way or another. Secondly, the Vikings chocked that game by virtue of their own mistakes. They should have won by 2 scores, so overtime never even would have been a factor. If you put the ball on the ground like they did, especially in the red zone, you have nothing to complain about.
    Last edited by Ickybaluky; 01-25-2010 at 11:05 AM.

!?!?!?!?!?
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

1) It wasn't a drop, he had his hand under the ball. His hand hit the ground, not the ball.

2) He clearly got the first down, because of forward progress. I think people are confused because a helmet hit the ball and knocked it down to his waist. However, he never lost the ball so it wasn't a fumble. He somehow was able to hold onto it, so it never hit the ground (great play not losing it). If he loses the ball and it hits the ground then it is a fumble. However, this isn't like a pass where you need to "maintain control". You can move the ball around as a RB, a bobble does not constitute a fumble. With forward progress he advanced the ball beyond the marker.

3) The PI call was shaky, because the ball didn't look catchable. However, I understand the call. There was contact with the ball in the air, and the defender never looked back for the ball. I would have let it go because I didn't think it catchable, but the ref apparently thought if he hadn't been interfered with he would have been able to make the play. That is a judgment call.

To say the refs cost the Vikings the game is laughable. First of all, calls go either way during a game and there are always going to be calls that could be made one way or another. Secondly, the Vikings chocked that game by virtue of their own mistakes. They should have won by 2 scores, so overtime never even would have been a factor. If you put the ball on the ground like they did, especially in the red zone, you have nothing to complain about.
    The bottom tip of the ball hit the ground...the ref claimed he had possession of the ball anyway

I'll give you the fumble call although I think he received favorable placement

the PI call was ridiculous and shudn't have been made

NEVER said refs cost Vikings the game, but they played too much of a factor in the OT

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The bottom tip of the ball hit the ground...the ref claimed he had possession of the ball anyway
    I think his hand was under the ball cradling it, so it never hit the ground. That makes it a catch, IMO.

At any rate, it was a close play that was ruled a catch on the field, and certainly there was no "clear evidence" to overturn. I don't think that is really controversial.

The bottom line is the Vikings should have won that game, but they did themselves in through their own mistakes. There is nothing to complain about, the Saints won because the Vikings gave it away.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It shouldn't even have gone to overtime so it's funny that we're discussing that aspect of the game.

With the game easily in hand, the Vikings send 12 players into the huddle. Then Favre throws a vintage INT. It was like the combination of Childress/Favre was going to explode at some point in the season and it happened at the worst possible moment.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i agree with NE39 on this. the vikings pissed away a winnable game. fumbling 4 times was on them.

The pass interference call the LB wasn't even looking back. i get that the ball might not have been catchable. but at real time, it was hard to tell and you just see a LB trying to assault a RB. Not going to win that debate with a ref who doesn't get Instant Replay to determine if the call is right or not.

The 4th down conversion. on one angle, he clearly had a first down by like 3 feet. then the other one where you saw the ball move, it was close. it wasn't worth overturning without 100% proof that you got the call wrong. so it stands.

Brett Favre's ego made him toss the ball idiotically into the center of the field with no velocity. That is about as stupid as anything Losman, bledsoe, edwards, fitz has done combined. Because at least none of those dbags did it with little time to play in a CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! Everyone talks about favres' heart, but if he really had heart, he would have sucked up all the pain he was feeling and ran for the 8 yards knowing he would take one more significant hit. then they kick and win.

But he tossed it to put the burden on someone else and to not get hit again. Where's the heart in that?

!?!?!?!?!?
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think his hand was under the ball cradling it, so it never hit the ground. That makes it a catch, IMO.

At any rate, it was a close play that was ruled a catch on the field, and certainly there was no "clear evidence" to overturn. I don't think that is really controversial.

The bottom line is the Vikings should have won that game, but they did themselves in through their own mistakes. There is nothing to complain about, the Saints won because the Vikings gave it away.
    wasn't the call actually overturned from incomplete to complete??...dnt disagree Vikes did give it away

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

wasn't the call actually overturned from incomplete to complete??...dnt disagree Vikes did give it away
    No, it was called complete on the field.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Favre has played great all year. Yesterday he got pounded so much he started to revert and he paid for it. Throwing that ball was a horrible decision he didn't have to do anything there and could have ran for ten yards. If I didn't know better I'd say he threw the game away.

And I disagree on the PI call there was no contact!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Anyone listen to the Minnesota radio feed? Hilarious!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...5/FavreINT.mp3
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This guy is pretty entertaining, too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUAg...layer_embedded