What are common complaints from non hockey fans about hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

What are common complaints from non hockey fans about hockey?

I'm trying to put together a list of the common complaints from casual hockey fans and non-hockey fans as to why they don't like the game.

So far i have a short list of;

1. it's too hard to follow or see the puck
    2. it's not our game (meaning it isn't american)
    3. what is icing
    4. Offsides? how can you figure that out?

Any others that you hear frequently or drive you nuts?

thanks for your help.
  • SabreEleven
    • Aug 2002

Re: What are common complaints from non hockey fans about hockey?

too much fighting.

Comment

• RockStar36
      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
      • Sep 2004

You nailed most of them.

I'm mostly told that they don't understand the game or that it is boring. I mostly hear that it's boring when it's a 1-0 or 2-1 type of game.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

I hear the same. Not enough scoring.....the game is boring.

Comment

• JD
          Sabres Zone
          • Sep 2003

The problem is regionalism. You have to grow up being introduced to the sport in your youth, in my opinion.

The NHL needs to put more emphasis into inline hockey leagues... (play them in the south, outdoors maybe?)

Football can be played year round and its easy to just pick up and go play in a field. You need more to play hockey.

But the south definitely should have an inline version of the nhl and just keep ice hockey up north.
          “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

I agree that the problem is regionalism, but inline hockey won't fix it. The NHL has tried regional expansion with minimal success. Florida, pheonix, Atlanta, Tampa bay, carolina, etc, and it hasn't caught on.

You are correct that some people think hockey is not "our" game,but those people come from places where football or basketball is king. No one from the northern tier of the country says that nonsense. It's more of a cultural thing and it will be very difficult to change.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• hammerbillsfan
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
              I agree that the problem is regionalism, but inline hockey won't fix it. The NHL has tried regional expansion with minimal success. Florida, pheonix, Atlanta, Tampa bay, carolina, etc, and it hasn't caught on.

You are correct that some people think hockey is not "our" game,but those people come from places where football or basketball is king. No one from the northern tier of the country says that nonsense. It's more of a cultural thing and it will be very difficult to change.
              ****ing sad that these teams have made the finals too, 2 of the them winning cups.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Lack of TV coverage.
                I haven't watched one game since the strike and losing the Empire Network.
                I do check the standing around once a week, that's about it.

Comment

• rbochan
                  Zamboni Driver
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                  Lack of TV coverage.
                  I haven't watched one game since the strike and losing the Empire Network.
                  I do check the standing around once a week, that's about it.
                  I don't seem to have that problem, at least here in Syracuse. Almost every night there's a Sabres, Rags, Devils, or Fishsticks game on here via basic cable. We also get Crunch and Amerks games, as well as regional college and high school games.
                  ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
                  it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by rbochan
                    I don't seem to have that problem, at least here in Syracuse. Almost every night there's a Sabres, Rags, Devils, or Fishsticks game on here via basic cable. We also get Crunch and Amerks games, as well as regional college and high school games.
                    trust me- it's a huge problem in the rest of the country.

Here in DC, the only televised hockey consists of Caps games, VS, and NHLN. I have DirecTV so I currently don't get VS. NHLN doesn't pick up games every night (and a lot of people don't have it included in their programming anyway). So basically, the only guaranteed hockey is the Caps. I'd say there are 3 nights a week with no NHL on my TV whatsoever.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• rbochan
                      Zamboni Driver
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      trust me- it's a huge problem in the rest of the country.

Here in DC, the only televised hockey consists of Caps games, VS, and NHLN. I have DirecTV so I currently don't get VS. NHLN doesn't pick up games every night (and a lot of people don't have it included in their programming anyway). So basically, the only guaranteed hockey is the Caps. I'd say there are 3 nights a week with no NHL on my TV whatsoever.
                      VS only shows games on Mondays and Tuesdays, so that's not even saying much about the flagship station for the NHL. Bettman in action!
                      ...Rob

it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• don137
                        • Jul 2002

Living in the south most people do not watch hockey because they find it boring on TV. The fans that converted from not being a fan to a fan of hockey are converted because they saw it live not because they started watching it on TV and liked the game.
                        There is a huge difference watching it live versus on TV. Watching a game live real makes people appreciate and enjoy the game.

Comment

• ddaryl
                          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                          • Jan 2005

Wathcing the game on TV is difficult, so getting newbie fans interested is harder.

The game is much easier to follow at the rink.... but usually TV is where you attract new fans.

the solution would be a wide angled camera that allows you to see all the action in a zone develope IMO...

I like to see the sniper sneaking around not the camera making all kinds of moves trying to keep up with the puck

I did like the FOX puck that showed the trails on the TV a few years back
                          Last edited by ddaryl; 02-08-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• rbochan
                            Zamboni Driver
                            • Jun 2008

The only people I know that aren't fond of hockey have never actually been to a game.
                            ...Rob

it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl

the solution would be a wide angled camera that allows you to see all the action in a zone develope IMO...
                              they already have that now- it's called HDTV. The trick is getting the stations to actually show that view more often during games.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X