• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloRanger
    WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
    • Mar 2003

Caps Owner "Gets It"

I know he has Ovechkin and that really helps the Caps be successful, but check out what Ted Leonis, Capitals owner, said in a recent 30+ minute radio segment here in DC...

"I could say my goal is to make the playoffs and have the team be profitable," he told Elliot. "Boring. I could say I want us to win the Stanley Cup. I mean, that's a great aspiration, that's on my list. But really, my aspiration is to bring the city closer together. Because as we're seeing, nothing brings a city closer together than a winning [sports] team.

"And, I want immortality for the players. Once you get your name on the Cup, you're immortal. They'll never take that away. And I really want to create bonding memories for mothers and fathers and sons and daughters and families, because that's how you define yourself....

"And if you can do that as an owner, if you can create those type of memories, you can bring the city closer together, you can have this group of people that you worked with and killed yourself with and you made them immortal? That's a higher calling. And so you can do that in every pursuit that you have."

Imagine if Tommy G felt that way about the Sabres and Buffalo?

Breaking news, live coverage, investigations, analysis, video, photos and opinions from The Washington Post. Subscribe for the latest on U.S. and international news, politics, business, technology, climate change, health and wellness, sports, science, weather, lifestyle and more.
    Buffalo Only and Always.
  • hydro
    • Oct 2005

Re: Caps Owner "Gets It"

I totally forgot Tom Golisano owned the team tbh
    BERNIAC!

Comment

• DMBcrew36
      • Feb 2005

Man, this **** is getting old. Stop insinuating like you can channel Tommy G's thoughts. Golly doesn't like being in the spotlight as much as Leonsis, but anytime he has ever spoken, he has spoken about how amazing the fans are, how unreal it is when the team is hot, and what great things it does for the community. Anything I've ever heard from Golly has been similar sentiment to how Leonsis feels. For anyone to say different is just petty ignorance based on misplaced frustration.

And on a side note, don't compare our team with Washington (or Pittsburgh, for that matter), because we never had the luxury of being absolutely rancid for 5 years to get the top picks to draft Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, and Green. The Chicago, Pittsburgh and Washington franchises have special teams because they were so effing terrible for consecutive seasons.
      Last edited by DMBcrew36; 02-10-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• SabreEleven
        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
        Man, this **** is getting old. Stop insinuating like you can channel Tommy G's thoughts. Golly doesn't like being in the spotlight as much as Leonsis, but anytime he has ever spoken, he has spoken about how amazing the fans are, how unreal it is when the team is hot, and what great things it does for the community. Anything I've ever heard from Golly has been similar sentiment to how Leonsis feels. For anyone to say different is just petty ignorance based on misplaced frustration.

And on a side note, don't compare our team with Washington (or Pittsburgh, for that matter), because we never had the luxury of being absolutely rancid for 5 years to get the top picks to draft Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, and Green. The Chicago, Pittsburgh and Washington franchises have special teams because they were so effing terrible for consecutive seasons.
        Couple thoughts: If Golly cared about winning, Ruff and Regier should be gone. If you haven't won a Cup in 14 years, you aren't successful enough and they should move on.

The Sabres can't even suck properly.

Comment

• SabreEleven
          • Aug 2002

added thought...if Ruff gets fired and hired on somewhere else, he'll win a Cup within 3 years delivering another kick in the nuts to the city of Buffalo.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by SabreEleven
            Couple thoughts: If Golly cared about winning, Ruff and Regier should be gone. If you haven't won a Cup in 14 years, you aren't successful enough and they should move on.

Just because they haven't won a Cup under Ruff and Regier doesn't tell the whole story - it isn't that simple. If it were that simple, they indeed would've been gone by now. It doesn't make Ruff a bad coach - most people are aware of what a great coach he is. The fact that the Sabres haven't won a Cup in his tenure can merely be attribute it to being the hardest trophy to win in sports, as far as I'm concerned.
            Last edited by DMBcrew36; 02-10-2010, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
              • Sep 2008

Gets what? How to suck royally and fall ass backward into Ovechkin?

The Sabres' payroll is easily the highest it has ever been. Golisano has done an excellent job of spending money and not meddling. People here always get on Ralph Wilson for being in the way; well, Golisano's not in the way and some still *****.
              Last edited by TrEd FTW; 02-10-2010, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SabreEleven

I'm citing a different sport, but it took Bill Polian 21 years to win it all and Bill Cowher 14. No matter how good you are, it's incredibly hard to win a championship in pro sports.

If you look around the NHL at its coaches and GMs, it's clear Ruff & Regier are better than most.
                Last edited by TrEd FTW; 02-10-2010, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• RockStar36
                  Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                  • Sep 2004

Not to mention that Ruff and Regier haven't gone through ideal circumstances during their tenure in Buffalo. Most coach/GM tandems don't have to deal with an ownership problem the way they did and get through it successfully.

D & S Sports

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

I will say this about Leonsis: he knows how to turn a franchise around.

When I first moved to this area in 2001, there was minimal interest in the Caps. The team pretty much sucked, and the interest dwindled to pretty much zero by 2005 or so. No one sported Caps merch around town, and they couldn't give tix away. As recently as December 2007, they'd be lucky to draw 10,000 on a weeknight and 15,000 on a weekend. And this is with a 24,000 seat arena in a metropolitan area of 5 million people.

Now, all anyone talks about is the Caps. Every other car has Caps stickers or license plate holders. Everyone has a Caps ball cap or jersey (curiously, always the new logo that they started using for 07-08, never the blue unis that they had before that or the old-skool red ones). The arena sells out every friggin night.

Granted, having arguably the best player in the world helps, and having a city full of bandwagon-jumping *******s helps. But he took the team from nothing to damn good, while in the same time period, the Sabres went from good-but-not-great to mediocre to good-but-not-great and back to mediocre. The Sabres are popular because people in NY love hockey, but the buzz and excitement are way down. Meanwhile, the buzz and excitement about the Caps is the most it's been in 20 years, maybe the most it's ever been.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      I will say this about Leonsis: he knows how to turn a franchise around.

When I first moved to this area in 2001, there was minimal interest in the Caps. The team pretty much sucked, and the interest dwindled to pretty much zero by 2005 or so. No one sported Caps merch around town, and they couldn't give tix away. As recently as December 2007, they'd be lucky to draw 10,000 on a weeknight and 15,000 on a weekend. And this is with a 24,000 seat arena in a metropolitan area of 5 million people.

Now, all anyone talks about is the Caps. Every other car has Caps stickers or license plate holders. Everyone has a Caps ball cap or jersey (curiously, always the new logo that they started using for 07-08, never the blue unis that they had before that or the old-skool red ones). The arena sells out every friggin night.

Granted, having arguably the best player in the world helps, and having a city full of bandwagon-jumping *******s helps. But he took the team from nothing to damn good, while in the same time period, the Sabres went from good-but-not-great to mediocre to good-but-not-great and back to mediocre. The Sabres are popular because people in NY love hockey, but the buzz and excitement are way down. Meanwhile, the buzz and excitement about the Caps is the most it's been in 20 years, maybe the most it's ever been.
                      Leonsis model for success:

Do nothing and be absolutely terrible for a couple years, getting you the top picks in consecutive drafts. Have your scouts draft the unquestionable top player each year: Ovechkin, Semin, Green, Backstrom. Have your GM find a goaltender. Boom, you're f**king done.

He didn't turn around ****. They have the most exciting and flamboyant player in the game. Any ****** can excite a fanbase if they have him, PLUS Semin, Backstrom, and Green.

Tell me how he would have gotten the team where it is without having those players fall into his lap. If you're going to praise anyone, praise Larry Carrier (x-Sabre, who lives in Buffalo) and the rest of their pro scouting. Even Larry will admit that they have been lucky.
                      Last edited by DMBcrew36; 02-11-2010, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

unquestionable top player? Maybe in Ovechkin's case, but there is a skill that goes into drafting. Look at the Islanders and the Leafs. They've sucked for 3-4 years and they still suck. Having high draft picks isn't a guaranteed formula for success.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SabreEleven
                          • Aug 2002

unquestionable top player? Maybe in Ovechkin's case, but there is a skill that goes into drafting. Look at the Islanders and the Leafs. They've sucked for 3-4 years and they still suck. Having high draft picks isn't a guaranteed formula for success.
                          Except in the Penguins case, when you have the #1 overall pick for 3 years, it's hard to make a mistake.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                            • Feb 2005

Still - why praise Leonsis? It's the scounting staff like Larry Carriere that deserve the credit.
                            Last edited by DMBcrew36; 02-11-2010, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                              Still - why praise Leonsis? It's the scounting staff like Larry Carriere that deserve the credit.
                              and who do you think hired the scouting staff? Also there are marketing principles as well- changing the jersey, all the local promotions (they have literally dozens), they opened a new training facility in Arlington that includes open rinks and a pro shop... all of these things add to it.

I see your point in that Leonsis was helped by Ovechkin and several years of high draft picks, but to say he lucked into it is short-sighted.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X