Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What were you doing the morning of September 11??

ArcticWildMan

What were you doing the morning of September 11??

9/11 will be to our generation what the Kennedy assasination was to our parents or what Pearl Harbor was to our grandparents.

What was everybody doing when we were attacked? I was sound asleep in bed (it was 5:30 AM Alaska time) when my Mother called and told me to turn on the TV. I can still remember the looks on peoples faces when I went to the store later that day. Everybody was in shock and had a dazed look.

When my daughter came home from Kindergarten later that day and asked why the people did that, I was at a loss for words and could only shake my head and say I didn't know.

I'll never forget that day as long as I live.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    i was at the laundromat watching it on TV...totally stunned. i lived five minutes from the Hartford/Springfield airport...the eeriest thing was the total silence...no airplanes flying overhead.
    i highly doubt anyone will ever forget that day.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I was at work driving on my forklift when the supervisor came on the radio to let us know about it.

Hi Dave!
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Iwas at work. I recieved a phone call from my Sister.
    i closed the office, and let everybody go home to be with their familys.
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I was at lake tahoe with some friends. I non-bigoted up right before the second plane hit. My friend was watching TV and told me that we were being attacked. I was half asleep so I don't even remember what I said to him. I started preparing a bowl of cereal, when I started listening to the TV. I don't think I left my seat that whole day.
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    6 days before the event, I drove underneath the towers while working in New York.

One day before the event, I watched my wife leave on an airplane as she went on a buisness trip.

The day of, I heard the news while driving to the post office in the morning. I was scheduled to work from my office at home for a week. I spent the day trying to reach my 12 guys working under me in New York and to tell them to get home quick. The worst was being in an empty house by yourself watching this stuff over and over.

2 of my Reps had wives/family working in lower Manhattan, and another of my Reps was a volunteer EMT and he was helicoptered into Ground Zero before plane #2 hit. His Wife is a NYC cop who worked in Precinct #1 at ground Zero, but thankfully was not on duty that morning. Both came out unhurt, but we didn't hear from them for 3 days.

My wife also knew Capt John Oganowski, pilot of flight #11. He was a part time farmer and she spent a Saturday on his farm about 2-3 weeks prior. (She works for UMASS teaching people how to properly use pesticides)

Well, It took my wife an entire week and a drive of 1,200 miles to get home.

The Following week, I returned to New York City to work again. Every five blocks was another funeral or a firehouse turned into a shrine for 5-10 dead comrades.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I was in my car on my way to school just outside Toronto. I had just left NYC about a week prior to that. If I hadn't decided to quit working and go back to school, I would have been in one of the path trains underneath the WTC.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I was buying a Dr. Pepper on my way to work when the first plane hit, and they still thought it was an accident. By the time I got across the street to work, the second plane hit. Everyone was pissed, and I was convinced we should turn the mid east into a glass parking lot.
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I was getting ready to celebrate my friends 21st birthday....boy, what a day she had
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Expert on Experts SoCalBillsFan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    On Sept 10th I flew back to los angeles from buffalo (with CalBillsFan) after our trip to the bills-saints game. The next morning my roommates mother called about 6:30 AM pacific time. I remember being upset that I had been non-bigotedn up and tried to fall back asleep. After he hung up the phone, he told me what happened, and switched on the tv. I didn't care about being awake anymore. It was a little nerve racking because I had just flown cross country the day before.

Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    We were getting ready for a days work in the shop at 7 am MDT. One guy came in late and said he heard the news that a plane had just crashed into the World Trade Towers. The first thing I remember saying to him was "And that affected you getting to work on time"

As I was driving to my first watering location, I heard that the second plane crashed into the Towers. We all stopped working, went to a restaurant for breakfast to watch the news and saaw it all.

This is a moment in time that is indelibly stamped in our memories.
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Great tribute page here.

9-11 tribute

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    i was at school in study hall, drawing a picture of chewbacca when the first plane hit.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    At home, late for work. Watched it on CNBC. They were speculating it was an accident when the second one hit. I told my 18 year old son, "It's no accident now."
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I was sitting out side one of the buildings on the campus of Rhode Island College when i heard what had taken place. This September 11, 2002 i will be in my history class teaching my students about not what happend that dark day, but more importantly, where the country has gone since. It should be a very intresting day
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on tight!!!

Tapit: All the Way to the Derby BillsMan80's Avatar
    In an Ice Hockey Rink Somewhere in the USA!!!!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I was at school down with one of my academic advisors, when we heard about it, located in Central Jersey.
    The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
    THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I was sleeping until after the first tower went down when my brother non-bigoted me up to tell me the news. I then got dressed and went to the opposite side of my block where I have a clear view of the towers about 20 miles away and watched the second tower come down.

I have one cousin who worked in the towers but luckily called in sick that day.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by JayWood
    I was sitting out side one of the buildings on the campus of Rhode Island College when i heard what had taken place. This September 11, 2002 i will be in my history class teaching my students about not what happend that dark day, but more importantly, where the country has gone since. It should be a very intresting day
    Let us know how it goes...and how your students react that day. It sounds like you should have an attentive class that day.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I will let you guys know how it goes. Funny thing is that alot of people from different sides in the education field have been arguing as to how exactly teach the events of September 11.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 1,228 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    I am an Air Traffic Controller at Rochester N.Y. I was working the 11:00 to 7:00 am shift, my wife non-bigoted me up crying about 11:30 am and said we are being attacked. She turned the tv on in the bedroom. The first thing I remembered seeing was the first tower being hit. After I got my bearings and realized that the aircraft were being hijacked I call work to see if I could help. They told me that all traffic was stop and that all aircraft in the air were put on the ground. I got to tell you how proud of my fellow Controllers, when I got to work that night my manager was there and he told me that there was almost 6000 aircraft in the air and ONE phone call was made and within 2 hours every airplane in the sky in the United States was on the ground. We did not get alot of press for this, but Air Traffic Controllers don't work for that anyway. That night at work was a little nerve racking because we weren't sure what they were going to do next. You see when something like this happens because of our radar we become part of the National Defense. That night was one of the hardest mid shifts I ever worked. I watched that seen for any and all targets that might have popped up. Itwas also tough because Control Facilties become targets during something like this. I had to leave my wife a kid home alone and I also had a kid up at Clarkson U. Away from home for the first time, he was scared as were we cause we weren't together and we couldn't do anything for him. A little side note he almost quit school a couple of weeks later and jioned the milatary so he could do something for his country. We talked him out of it. We told him to get his education first and that if he felt the same way in 4 years he could go in as an officer.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV