Thread: Browns will take a QB but not early...

Thanks
    Thanked 24,472 Times in 14,180 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Browns will take a QB but not early...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...nd_browns.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- With 12 picks in the April 22-24 NFL draft -- their most since 2000 -- the Browns can go in a number of directions in the first year of the Mike Holmgren-Tom Heckert era.

There is no mystery about one thing. They will draft a quarterback. The president of the team is not shy about saying so.

"It's just something we have to do," Holmgren said as he embarked on his first NFL owners meetings as president of the Browns. "Why wait? I'm 61. I don't want to wait for anyone. We're going to have to do this."
    His thoughts on Jimmy Clausen;
    As for the second-ranked quarterback in the draft, Jimmy Clausen of Notre Dame, Holmgren was characteristically honest.

"I wish I liked him more," he said. "You know how you have a type of player that you like? It's not scientific. People like him a lot. He'll go high. But it would be hard for me [to take him]."
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth Dicknoze69's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Browns will take a QB but not early...

Most people think this is a smokescreen, but Holmgren, like Rex Ryan and a few others, is usually pretty open and honest.

I think this also lends evidence to something I've been saying for a while: Clausen isn't nearly as highly ranked among professionals as he is among media/fans. I think he's going to have a draft-day slide.

God give me style and give me grace
    God put a smile upon my face

Visually stunning but camera-shy. Cntrygal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,603 Times in 4,539 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"It's just something we have to do," Holmgren said as he embarked on his first NFL owners meetings as president of the Browns. "Why wait? I'm 61. I don't want to wait for anyone. We're going to have to do this."

My first thought was "and Ralphie is how old?"
    Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Clear sign the Browns aren't looking to go QB early in the draft....

"But, here's the dilemma," he said. "There are areas of the football team that we really have to help -- the secondary, offensive line -- to get the team better. This year it would be pretty hard to use the second [round] pick to get a quarterback. It would be pretty hard for me.

"Next year might be easier. We've got [three picks in the third round and four in the fifth round] going for us. But I'd have to have another second-round pick [to take a quarterback in the second round]."

Thanks
    Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,561 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well I hope we don't take Clausen either. It almost rhymes with Losman.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sounds to me like Holmgren doesn't see 'franchise' when he looks at Clausen, and would prefer to use his picks on players he's confident will produce early.
    Seems to me that the Bills could also be singing from that same hymn sheet. Only difference being that Nix isn't going to tip his hand about the draft in a hurry.
    Personally, I don't want to pick a QB @ #9 unless I believe he will be a 'franchise' QB, and the only guy I see like that, is Bradford, in this draft.
    For all that Gailey seems to be able to get decent production out of almost any QB, through tailoring his offense to suit, I'd be pretty sure he would prefer to work with a QB who he feels can 'do it all'.