• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Interesting fact about our OL

Do you realize that out of the 15 O-lineman we currently have on our roster, only 3 have more than 5 years experience? (Hangartner, Green, Chambers).

All the rest have less than 3 years experience in the league.

If we were looking to rebuild the line, we have a ton of young faces already. What we don't have is highly touted young tackle prospects.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted an early round Tackle or two like everyone else. But, is it possible that we simply need to coach and develop some of the young talent we already have?

• mayotm
    • Jul 2003

Re: Interesting fact about our OL

Bell is a prospect. People want to write him off, but I don't. He's young and new to the game. He didn't play high school football and only two years of college. The issues he had last season were more mental than physcial. Mental issues can be corrected with experience and coaching.
    Last edited by mayotm; 05-04-2010, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
      • Feb 2009

Screw Bell, Meredith is the guy I see winning that LT job.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Jan 2010

im not as down on bell and meredith as others around here, i think they can be solid with more experience...

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by mayotm
          Bell is a prospect. People want to write him off, but I don't. He's young and new to the game. He didn't play high school football and only two years of college. The issues he had last season were more mental than physcial. Mental issues can be corrected with experience and coaching.
          Bell does not get push in the running game, although he does get to the second level quickly, he cannot move DL back, at all. I do think that Bell can mirror well and just as good as any tackle in the NFL, but once again, he gets zero push, he is not a strong tackle, just incredibly athletic.

Comment

• tommy6030
            • Feb 2009

They def just need some time. They may turn out to be great but no one in the FA market excites me so unless we get a trade done with Baltimore or New Orleans I think the the F.O. made the right play by letting this year go. Now if they try to sell us this time to develop thing again, then we have big problems.

Defense is easier to fix first because the coaches knew what they had, nothing in the front 7!! On offense we have a lot of young talent and no clue if they are good because Skeletor gave all the starting spots to the older players.

Only time will tell, but I don't expect much more activity barring any injuries.
            Last edited by tommy6030; 05-04-2010, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by X-Era
              Do you realize that out of the 15 O-lineman we currently have on our roster, only 3 have more than 5 years experience? (Hangartner, Green, Chambers).

If we were looking to rebuild the line, we have a ton of young faces already. What we don't have is highly touted young tackle prospects.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted an early round Tackle or two like everyone else. But, is it possible that we simply need to coach and develop some of the young talent we already have?
              What is funny is that at this time last year most people on this board considered Langston Walker to be the best offensive lineman on the Bills roster.

So to sum up, the Bills top two options at left tackle, a position everyone agrees is important to a teams success, are an inexperienced Dick J. 7th round draft pick and another inexperienced guy who couldn't even make the roster of a team (the Pack) with a horrid offenive line.

Fortunately, the Bills fortified the tackle position by bringing in a veteran from a strong Raiders team.

Comment

• JCBills
                • Jan 2010

Sure we do, Meredith was viewed as a top tackle prospect in last year's draft.

Whether someone is/was highly touted or not means nothing, if a guy can play he can play.
                Last edited by JCBills; 05-04-2010, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Sure we do, Meredith was viewed as a top tackle prospect in last year's draft.
                  Top meaning what exactly? Top 5 in that position? maybe, probably not. 1st rounder? No.

Whether someone is/was highly touted or not means nothing, if a guy can play he can play.
                  Exactly, and adding a draftee to this group, even from the 1st round, would still leave us with another guy who needs to prove he can play and may need to be developed.

Comment

• JCBills
                    • Jan 2010

Top meaning what exactly? Top 5 in that position? maybe, probably not. 1st rounder? No.
                    Some had him as a top 5 OT, but even then that means nothing. A lot of people also had Bruce Campbell as a top 10 pick. Even then, what impact does that have on anything? None.

Exactly, and adding a draftee to this group, even from the 1st round, would still leave us with another guy who needs to prove he can play and may need to be developed.
                    So then why say we don't have "highly touted" young OTs in the first place? Then point out a good reason to not care about where an OT is taken? Not many 1st round OTs started at LT in their first year. Yeah, you have the Jake Longs and Ryan Cladys of the world, but out of last year's 1st round OTs, only one started at LT.

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

So then why say we don't have "highly touted" young OTs in the first place?
                      Because some think its the only way to build a great line.

That's why I said this:

"Don't get me wrong, I wanted an early round Tackle or two like everyone else. But, is it possible that we simply need to coach and develop some of the young talent we already have?"

I feel there's a good shot that someone could emerge from this group and become a solid starting LT.

I think a lot of the problems may have been from not sticking with one guy throughout the year due to injury or shuffling.

Many forget how many stupid penalties Peters took early on too.

Comment

• JCBills
                        • Jan 2010

Because some think its the only way to build a great line.

That's why I said this:

"Don't get me wrong, I wanted an early round Tackle or two like everyone else. But, is it possible that we simply need to coach and develop some of the young talent we already have?"

I feel there's a good shot that someone could emerge from this group and become a solid starting LT.

I think a lot of the problems may have been from not sticking with one guy throughout the year due to injury or shuffling.

Many forget how many stupid penalties Peters took early on too.
                        LOL my bad I saw the highly touted line and went into instant grrrrr mode.

I've been saying for a while I think Meredith is the guy who has the physical skills and mindset to be effective if not better than most at the position. I think Bell lacks the football mentality, it's so new to him. Hard to start playing football at 21, then suddenly become NFL tough.

Comment

• BillsWin
                          man amongst boys
                          • Oct 2008

Where is HH to remind us that we traded Peters?

I guess I'll do it....

Hey, we don't forget we traded Peters guys! We suck now and our offensive line will never get better.

Jauron clap:
                          I am The Batman.

Comment

• yomommabilly
                            • Dec 2009

Continuous 8 in the box will break the spirit of any offensive line, especially a young one like this. There is no hint of a passing threat whatsoever. At least we had TO to take some heat off, little heat it did but still, took up a man on D. While I agree, the Oline is not half bad all we have to do is look at the St. Louis Rams the last three years, ZERO passing threat, ZERO with perhaps one of the top three RB in the NFL in Steven Jackson and they won 1 game last year. The entire free world thought their Oline sucked, which it did badly the last part of the season but still, consistent 8-9 players in the box.

Like it or not, the NFL has turned into a QB oriented league. You need a good QB and then you need someone to thro it to, as of right now, we have neither. Yes we have Jackson and the new kid and Gold tooth but still, this Oline is only going to be able to do so much. Once the second half of the season comes around, that scares me. You can only pound the ball so much until the Defense stops it dead in its tracks.

Again, Steven Jackson. The last three years he has gotten close to 1500 yards each year or at least 1200 BUT, does not go over the little white goal line all too much. You get in the Red Zone and the field gets smaller to defend, without a legit QB and some sort of Legit people that can catch the ball, you are toast. Thats the Bills. The entire AFCE has taken giant leaps to get better, what have we done ???? NADA, got a good RB that is going to get some yardage, yes. Cross the goal line ? Not many times.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by WeAreMarshawn23
                              Screw Bell, Meredith is the guy I see winning that LT job.
                              I think both are capible...
                              GO Gators!!!!!!
                              GO GATORS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X