Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5K!! - You are mine!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

5K!! - You are mine!

I did it. Indoors, on a track protected from the elements, but I did it. 35 laps to complete a 5K! My body is going to kill me later but I just kept going. My target was 26 or 28 laps. When I hit 28 I pushed it to 30 and when I hit 30 I said, "why not". The last three laps were hell. When I was done, my wife actually asked if I was going to have a heart attack.

Still a lot to do before I can run a 5K on the street but this was a major step forward. Now I got to see if I can repeat and see if this was a one time fluke.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 5K!! - You are mine!

Congratulations Eb!!!

It's not a one time fluke!!!!!

On a personal note though..... I guess I had better start getting off of this couch and start running again.
    For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

in charge of you
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Do it again later today!

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Good stuff.

I need to start running again, I haven't done much since I did the first leg of our work relay team in the Belfast Marathon a couple of years ago.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by lordofgun
    Do it again later today!
    actually, i walked another mile to cool down and near the end of it i actually felt like i could run a little bit more...but i can't get crazy yet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Eb... are you tracking your running and other workouts anywhere?

If you're not, RunningAhead is a great site (free too!). You can enter as much (or little) about your run/workouts as you want.... and it provides a breakdown (and GRAPHS!) as well as weekly, monthly and annual stats.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cntrygal
    Eb... are you tracking your running and other workouts anywhere?

If you're not, RunningAhead is a great site (free too!). You can enter as much (or little) about your run/workouts as you want.... and it provides a breakdown (and GRAPHS!) as well as weekly, monthly and annual stats.
    Back in the fall when I started I was simply tracking distance walked, ran, total time and cals burned (on a treadmill) on a simple Xcel spreadsheet. After some injuries put me on the shelf until March, I continued to track the pattern of my walking/running and my weight on the same spreadsheet. In April I also started tracking the workouts and times, as well as my cals, on sparkpeople.

Other workouts? It's good just to have the time I have to run. I haven't even had time to do a single sit up. I've gone from 216 to about 196 doing nothing but running/walking 3 or 4 times a week and cutting my calories.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

...and I have even been tracking how many miles are on my shoes.

Saving the World One Signature at a Time! Valerie's Avatar
    Somewhere on a Beach sipping something strong
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Good job, Eb! See, I told you you could do it! Trust me, running outside is going to be a piece of cake.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
    Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
    The only answer I found for all this hurt
    Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Dude's Little Ignorant Crony RockStar36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I use a spreadsheet to track my running/weight as well. I've been using Sparkpeople for the food count but after weeks of doing this, I'm getting rather tired of writing everything down, especially when I eat about the same thing 5 days a week.

Also, just my opinion, but I actually think running outside is way easier than indoors on a track or treadmill. It personally helps me just to see different scenery when running.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like the running tracking on runningahead because I like the pretty colored graphs and the fact that it adds all my mileage (running and shoe) for me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RockStar36
    I use a spreadsheet to track my running/weight as well. I've been using Sparkpeople for the food count but after weeks of doing this, I'm getting rather tired of writing everything down, especially when I eat about the same thing 5 days a week.

Also, just my opinion, but I actually think running outside is way easier than indoors on a track or treadmill. It personally helps me just to see different scenery when running.
    as far as sparkpeople, my wife is getting to the point of being annoyed because I am asking her how she makes everything from scratch and then have to figure out how much of it I have eaten. I can foresee not using the calorie tracker once I have my weight to where I want it (about 180-185).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer
    as far as sparkpeople, my wife is getting to the point of being annoyed because I am asking her how she makes everything from scratch and then have to figure out how much of it I have eaten. I can foresee not using the calorie tracker once I have my weight to where I want it (about 180-185).
    My goal was 22 lbs, and I'm down 12 so far but my goal date was 5/28 so I doubt I make it. This is a problem I had before a few years ago. I hit a certain weight where I'm at right now and I stay there no matter what. It's frustrating but I'm trying not to let it bug me.

I figure I have my eating down pretty good right now after tracking for roughly 2 months so I think I can stop doing that now. I'll still measure and do all that, but now I have a pretty good idea how much is enough at each meal and so on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cntrygal
    I like the running tracking on runningahead because I like the pretty colored graphs and the fact that it adds all my mileage (running and shoe) for me.
    I have an app for that

Thanks
    Thanked 14,348 Times in 6,781 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Great job Eb!
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It might be easier, but with being able to control things like elevation on a treadmill, I prefer to use that piece of equipment. I have never been fast at all, so I max out the incline to 15 degrees.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My goal was 22 lbs, and I'm down 12 so far but my goal date was 5/28 so I doubt I make it. This is a problem I had before a few years ago. I hit a certain weight where I'm at right now and I stay there no matter what. It's frustrating but I'm trying not to let it bug me.

I figure I have my eating down pretty good right now after tracking for roughly 2 months so I think I can stop doing that now. I'll still measure and do all that, but now I have a pretty good idea how much is enough at each meal and so on.
    If I get to 184 that will be 32 pounds...it is a reason I am not weight training. I want to be a little smaller. I am not concerned with strength (at this time).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter
    It might be easier, but with being able to control things like elevation on a treadmill, I prefer to use that piece of equipment. I have never been fast at all, so I max out the incline to 15 degrees.
    I just get really bored on a treadmill and end up staring at the mileage/time/calories and that messes with my head. I'm very easily distracted while running. Plus I canceled my gym membership so I'm kinda forced to go outside.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer
    If I get to 184 that will be 32 pounds...it is a reason I am not weight training. I want to be a little smaller. I am not concerned with strength (at this time).
    On the other hand qeight training adds muscle, which burns more calories than fat so that does help.

I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats. BlackMetalNinja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I just get really bored on a treadmill and end up staring at the mileage/time/calories and that messes with my head. I'm very easily distracted while running. Plus I canceled my gym membership so I'm kinda forced to go outside.
    That's why my treadmill faces my PC monitor... I watch TV shows while I'm on it and don't pay any attention to the display on the treadmill if I can help it.

I wish I could run, but my knee just will not tolerate it, it aches like hell every time I've tried. I'm hoping that once I finish P90X that my weight will be down enough and the muscle will be built up around it enough to allow for it.

So far I'm down 45 lbs. since 10/4 and for my body frame, I'd be pleased if I could get down another 30-50 or so. I hit a long plateau at the 36-38 lb. mark, but it's finally picked up again and my weight has been down or even for the past 10 days straight.