Thread: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    Height: 6-9. Weight: 305.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.84.
    Projected Round (2011):

2010 Preseason Comments:

6/28/2010- "Solder's measurables, according to CU strength and conditioning, are awe-inspiring. At 6-foot-8, 305 pounds, he has only 6.5 percent body fat. He power-cleans 415 for three reps, hang-cleans 473 for three reps and has been clocked in the 40 in 4.91 seconds. He also has vertical-jumped 32 inches." Source: http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/blog?...uce&id=5322140

Comments:

9/13/2010- vs. Cal

1st Qtr:
    7:16- Some of the quickest kick sliding I have seen. The man is huge with incredibly long arms.
    7:11- Great job pushing his man beyond the pocket. He looks like an impenetrable wall.
    7:02- Uses good leverage, and quick feet to form the wall. He has exceptional athleticism and its even more remarkable at his size.
    3:44- Gets beat around the edge for a sack. Didn't kick slide but rather tried to push him wide. Her didn't push him deep enough. It didn't help the the QB wont throw it.
    0:39- Blasted Mike Mohammed on the pull block. Great quickness again. He uses his size really well to deliver a solid punch.

2nd Qtr:

14:55- Needs to kick deeper in his kick slides, he is losing the edge to the speedy rushers.
    13:47- Shows how he can dominate when blocking on this play. He engulfs defenders.
    9:52- Shows you he can block at the 2nd level as well on this run play.
    9:10- Shows he has very good strength by pushing around the DT.
    8:12- Engulfs Jordan and shows what he can do as a pass blocker going up against a very good DE.
    6:25- Shows hes got a mean streak and run blocks with intensity on #91.
    4:45- Uses his size, strength, and long arms to push the DT back on this run play.
    3:55- Negates Jordan on this play.
    2:24- Goes too deep on his kick slide and the defender cuts back to the inside for the sack.

In the first half of this game, Solder shows why he is considered one of the top LT prospect by many. He has unreal athletic ability for a guy thats 6' 9" tall. He's lean, he plays with a mean streak, and he has good technique most of the time. He has above average strength and can manhandle even DT's. In pass protection, he has a very quick kick slide but doesn't always use it. His arms are so long that he engulfs defenders and they often cant get around him. Solder is the best prospect Ive seen so far at LT. The only hit on him is that he can lineup too far inside and can be forced to try to push the DL around the edge which led to sacks in this game. If he simply lines up a bit wider and sticks with the kick slide, he should be fine.

Links:

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.d...&ATCLID=233777
    http://colorado.scout.com/a.z?s=148&p=8&c=1&nid=3100961
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1114291
    Last edited by X-Era; 09-14-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

updated

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,002 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: New 2011 NFL Mock Draft (7) Rounder

At best, Solder is a Bruce Campbell type, a physical specimen who you hope might fulfill his potential in a few years. Campbell was actually a better tackle last year.

His pass blocking makes Cornell Green look good.

He plays slower than his timed speed, rarely, if ever, moves his feet first, doesn't merely come out of his stance high, but stands straight up. He could possibly have the worst technique possible for a guy listed as a "top prospect".

Any speed rusher would drool at the prospect of going against him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G
    At best, Solder is a Bruce Campbell type, a physical specimen who you hope might fulfill his potential in a few years. Campbell was actually a better tackle last year.

His pass blocking makes Cornell Green look good.

He plays slower than his timed speed, rarely, if ever, moves his feet first, doesn't merely come out of his stance high, but stands straight up. He could possibly have the worst technique possible for a guy listed as a "top prospect".

Any speed rusher would drool at the prospect of going against him.
    I really disagree with this assessment. In the games where I watched him I was surprised at how well he was able to kick slide, use his leverage, and how quick and nimble he was. He made a few mistakes where he didn't set up deep enough and let the rusher around the edge, but I thought his technique was pretty good actually. Campbell was drafted because of his athleticism. Solder is more polished than Campbell was IMO. With his size, arm length, nimbleness, and technique, he could be drafted in the 1st round. I think he is more strictly a LT than RT, and I would prefer someone who is more of a mauler to be our RT like Carimi, Reynolds, or Hairston. I'm anxious to see more from him and see what your seeing. Just more reason to watch more of him.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...d.php?t=192773
    Last edited by X-Era; 11-14-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era
    I really disagree with this assessment. In the games where I watched him I was surprised at how well he was able to kick slide, use his leverage, and how quick and nimble he was. He made a few mistakes where he didn't set up deep enough and let the rusher around the edge, but I thought his technique was pretty good actually. Campbell was drafted because of his athleticism. Solder is more polished than Campbell was IMO. With his size, arm length, nimbleness, and technique, he could be drafted in the 1st round. I think he is more strictly a LT than RT, and I would prefer someone who is more of a mauler to be our RT like Carimi, Reynolds, or Hairston. I'm anxious to see more from him and see what your seeing. Just more reason to watch more of him.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...d.php?t=192773
    vs. Missouri 2009

I can't tell you how many times he got beat. I remember watching this game live, without knowing who the guy was, and thinking..."this poor stiff, he's going to be in so much trouble Monday morning."

When people started talking about him as a top LT prospect...my head went dizzy.

But OK, I learned he was a converted TE. That's no excuse for him being a stiff, but he is at a new position.

So

Vs. Cal this year

He was beaten at least 5 times, and that only showed about a dozen passes. In one case the QB got rid of the ball early, in another he scrambled to the right. That doesn't change the fact that he was beat. And badly. I will say his run blocking has improved over last year, but his pass blocking hasn't. And to state the obvious, if a tackle can't pass block, he can't play in the NFL.

Cal put a LB over him. What will happen when he has a Dansby, or a Ware, or a Freeney over him? Long arms don't do much for you when you're whiffing.

The only time he wasn't getting beat is if the defender didn't use a lateral move on him. He was basically only winning battles when the defense went straight at him. He might have caught the LB a few times, but was beaten more often.

As tall as he stands he's going to have another problem. Any big 3-4 DE with any strength at all is going to be able to rock him back.

So in the NFL, he stands a really good chance of losing to speed rushers and losing to power rushers. Unless his technique gets much better, and fairly quickly, he's going to have a real problem in the NFL.

That doesn't mean he can't get better. But right now, he's nowhere near NFL ready, IMO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G
    vs. Missouri 2009

I can't tell you how many times he got beat. I remember watching this game live, without knowing who the guy was, and thinking..."this poor stiff, he's going to be in so much trouble Monday morning."

When people started talking about him as a top LT prospect...my head went dizzy.

But OK, I learned he was a converted TE. That's no excuse for him being a stiff, but he is at a new position.

So

Vs. Cal this year

He was beaten at least 5 times, and that only showed about a dozen passes. In one case the QB got rid of the ball early, in another he scrambled to the right. That doesn't change the fact that he was beat. And badly. I will say his run blocking has improved over last year, but his pass blocking hasn't. And to state the obvious, if a tackle can't pass block, he can't play in the NFL.

Cal put a LB over him. What will happen when he has a Dansby, or a Ware, or a Freeney over him? Long arms don't do much for you when you're whiffing.

The only time he wasn't getting beat is if the defender didn't use a lateral move on him. He was basically only winning battles when the defense went straight at him. He might have caught the LB a few times, but was beaten more often.

As tall as he stands he's going to have another problem. Any big 3-4 DE with any strength at all is going to be able to rock him back.

So in the NFL, he stands a really good chance of losing to speed rushers and losing to power rushers. Unless his technique gets much better, and fairly quickly, he's going to have a real problem in the NFL.

That doesn't mean he can't get better. But right now, he's nowhere near NFL ready, IMO.
    Ok Great
    Last edited by tampabay25690; 11-14-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cal game-

Notice in the first few pass plays how quick he kick slides and how wide he sets his base.

At the 0:58 point is one of the plays where I called out a technique issue. He doesn't set deep enough and lets the defender beat him around the edge. If he simply kicks deeper, that probably doesn't happen.

At the 1:16, its the same thing. He starts to kick slide but didn't get deep enough and has to try to push the defender wide.

Its worth noting how deep the QB is dropping. He should be up into the pocket more.

1:54- You can see how athletic he is and what he can do out in space and at the second level.

2:30- He shows you what he can do if he keeps his shoulders square and is in the right position, he walls off his man.

2:48- Here he shows he has the ability to get deep in his set but actually goes too far and is beaten back inside.

As I said, he showed problems setting up deep enough. But the athleticism, ability to kick slide so well, setting up a wide base, and using good leverage make him one of the top T prospects. I think he has the physical talent to be able to be a top pro. However, he needs work on where how deep he sets up. I think it's fixable.

I have also said that no OT prospect is worthy of a top 10 or even top 15 rank IMO. They all have shown areas where they need work.
    Last edited by X-Era; 11-15-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cal game-

Notice in the first few pass plays how quick he kick slides and how wide he sets his base.
    Sure I noticed, that he was getting in front of his guy for the first 3 pass plays. It went downhill from there. I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic with that statement, but it did go down from there. That should give anyone a moment of pause, or more.

At the 0:58 point is one of the plays where I called out a technique issue. He doesn't set deep enough and lets the defender beat him around the edge. If he simply kicks deeper, that probably doesn't happen.

At the 1:16, its the same thing. He starts to kick slide but didn't get deep enough and has to try to push the defender wide.
    Watch the first play, the sack play, again...better yet, watch it from the endzone shot, because it shows the problem perfectly.

It isn't that he's not kicking out far enough (although that may be another problem), its that his first move is UP, rather than out. He moves up...almost stands up, then he moves laterally. At the least, it should be one fluid motion.

He moves up, the DE/LB moves forward from a sprinter's stance and its a chase from there. It doesn't matter how much he slides if he's wasting time moving up.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal, except he's getting beat by it, and 2, it hasn't improved over last year. THAT'S the concern. Its something relatively easy to correct, even at the college level. If he hasn't figured it out by now, he might not.

Its worth noting how deep the QB is dropping. He should be up into the pocket more.
    It would mean more if a) this wasn't the evaluation of an OL and b), he was actually taking a DE the way he wanted to go, rather than chasing him. He's chasing.

1:54- You can see how athletic he is and what he can do out in space and at the second level.
    I didn't really comment on his run blocking, except to say that it seems to have improved over last year. (He was brutal in the run game against Mizzou also).

But as I said earlier, to state the obvious again, if he can't pass block, he can't play in the NFL.

If it were merely run blocking, Carimi of Wisconsin would be a top 5 pick, easy. Dude's a mauler first class.

2:30- He shows you what he can do if he keeps his shoulders square and is in the right position, he walls off his man.
    Its about consistency from the tackle postion. Missing on a half dozen or more plays in the NFL keeps you on the bench.

2:48- Here he shows he has the ability to get deep in his set but actually goes too far and is beaten back inside.
    You know that that play showed me? Again, seriously, not being sarcastic...it was a guy who was getting beat outside regularly, then overcompensates, and his opponent turned the tables on him.

Think of playing one on one basketball against a much better player. He keeps beating you to the right, you overcompensate, he does a crossover to the left, because he knows he's owning you.

That's what that play looked like. It didn't hurt that the QB ran to the inside lane either. But the DE/LB simply took advantage of him jumping to the outside and beat him with an inside move...rather easily.

He'll see a ton of that at the next level.

As bad or worse, he was jarred backward on that play by a far smaller player. Not a lot, but it didn't need to be...He jarred him enough to disengage and move to the inside. He was able to jar him because he was off balance.

As I said, he showed problems setting up deep enough. But the athleticism, ability to kick slide so well, setting up a wide base, and using good leverage make him one of the top T prospects. I think he has the physical talent to be able to be a top pro. However, he needs work on where how deep he sets up. I think it's fixable.

I really want to see him in the mirror drill at either the Senior Bowl (is he a senior?) or at the combine. I'm willing to bet he does poorly.

I'm not denying the physical talent. And I'm not denying that he can't get better, but I have my doubts in that area. But for an OT to take in the 1st or 2nd, they should be pretty close to a total package in terms of physical ability, technique, production AND consistency. And even then, it doesn't guarantee success. (Mike Williams gave up one sack his entire last season at Texas).

I have also said that no OT prospect is worthy of a top 10 or even top 15 rank IMO. They all have shown areas where they need work.
    That may be, but it doesn't justify a low 1st round or high 2nd round on this guy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

To me, and I respect your opinion, Solder usually uses good leverage, has great athleticism for his size, and displays an ability to use proper technique. But I agree he isn't as consistent as you would like to see.

As you pointed out, he has made mistakes and has given up sacks. I'm not as concerned with the sack total personally. I think that can have a lot to do with the rest of the team and QB. What I meant by how deep the QB is dropping is that it then requires the OT's to wall off a deeper pocket. Where if he was taking shorter drops or moving up into the pocket, some of the sacks may go away. Regardless, Solder got beat around the edge. I think it's fixable with more work on his technique.

Personally, Solder is not the guy I'd like us to take although I wouldn't be unhappy if we did. I'd much prefer to fill the RT spot with a mauler like Carimi. I like Costanzo, but as a LT. Overall, I would agree that Solder is a bit unpolished. I'm not as down on him as you are because I think I see loads of potential and fixable issues. I think all prospects need work in one area or another and to me the upside based on his athleticism, size, and strength makes him intriguing. I think he could go anywhere from mid round 1 to mid round 2. The Combine and workouts may boost his stock.