Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Help us decide! Baby Name

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Help us decide! Baby Name

Quote Originally Posted by mercyrule
    What the hell do you two know about it?
    Taking a stand opposite of Patti is usually a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hey Jude...

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,531 Times in 3,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Talking Re: Help us decide! Baby Name

Let me tell you a story about names back from my high school days. We were in social studies class, and we had this one teacher who was single, in her mid-twenties, one of my better teachers actually, and she had great clothes etc. Well toward the end of the class on some days she would tell us about her weekend because she had this boyfriend, and they always did cool things. So we heard these stories for a couple of months and enjoyed them because A) that meant we were done with schoolwork for that period, and B) she had a cool life that we would someday hope to have ourselves.

But, she never told us her boyfriend's name, just referred to him as her boyfriend. Well some of the girls in the class (this is an all-girl H.S.) started asking, what's his name, tell us his name. But she wouldn't.

Well finally after a couple weeks of pestering she gave in. She said okay, I'll tell you his name, his name is (DRAMATIC PAUSE) "Leo."

Well! The classroom exploded in laughter that was so loud that I can hear it in my head 'til this day. It was just uncontrolled! You could see that our teacher was terribly embarrassed at this reaction. She was crabby about it, you could tell.

Well some time after that, she is telling us another story about her boyfriend, but this time she says his middle name is (ahem) MICHAEL, and he actually prefers to go by his middle name of Michael. And ever thereafter in that class she referred to the boyfriend as "Michael."

And I thought to myself, sheesh, she should've used Michael all along and saved herself all the embarrassment.

Moral of the story: Julien/Jude = Leo

Don't put his future girlfriends in an awkward position like that one.

Patti
    Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I prefer Jude as a name by itself, but Julien works better with Michael, so I voted for that.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Scrap 'em both, and go with 'Chuck'.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Chuck sounds good to me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Are their prenatal tests now that tell you if your child is going to be gay? If so, good choices.

Circling the Wagons since 1982. T-Long's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My newborn's son's name is Kaden. My wife didn't want 2 Terry's in the house, so he has Terrence as his middle name.

And btw, I like Julien
    Last edited by T-Long; 07-05-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wink Re: Help us decide! Baby Name

I have another name story from my good olden days. When I was in college, the first week we were there, my roommate meets this guy she really likes. I hadn't met him, but she's telling me about him.

She says, "His name is Julian, but he's really nice, cute, a really great guy!" Etc. Notice the BUT. Now, there was nothing further said about that, but it was this tacit understanding that this guy had not that great of a name, but it didn't matter, he was a GREAT guy! (Confirming Lecter's point -- it doesn't really matter what your name is.) But it also speaks to my point, which is the name was a bit of an obstacle, but no matter, he was a GREAT GUY.

So I'm hearing about him for several days, Julian this Julian that (I'm just assuming on the spelling here), I saw Julian between classes, we might meet up to go out this weekend. All Julian, all the time.

Well they got together that weekend, and when she came back to our room I ask her how it went. She said, "Well, we had a great time, but the most embarrassing thing happened." I said what was that; she said, "it turns out his name isn't Julian. Well it is, but it's his LAST name, and I've been calling him Julian this whole time like an idiot! And he never corrected me. Until one of his friends did tonight."

Haha. Turns out, Julian was his LAST name, she had heard one of the guys on his floor calling him that, and just sort of picked up on it without a formal introduction, and the guy either was too embarrassed to correct her, or maybe he thought this chick just liked calling him by his last name, who knows.

The important thing in this whole story is the "BUT." It's like a red flag for this particular name. Maybe make it his last name or something. But definitely not the first name.

Patti

in charge of you
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Our third son is named Jude.

Also, Julien sounds like a black kid.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Smile Re: Help us decide! Baby Name

Quote Originally Posted by lordofgun
    Our third son is named Jude.

Also, Julien sounds like a black kid.
    Well finally, we have the voice of reason here. Someone who has the actual name and experience with it. So I think if we can get a few questions answered that would be helpful, LOG:

1) Is he of middle school age or older?
    2) Does he like his name?
    3) Does he still go by that name?

I think if we can get positive answers to these questions then we can clear at least one of the names in question to be safely used by the Bedard family in spite of Discotrish rantings to the contrary.

Patti

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Patti did you completely ignore the links I posted?

Where about 85% of people with both names say they like their name?
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by King Bedard

There are only two ways this can end. One is, some friend of family member talks sense into you (or you just come to your sense naturally) and choose a nice regular boy name for your son.

Second scenario is the Julien/Jude Make Life Difficult For My Kid option is deployed. One of those labels actually ends up on the birth certificate.

Then we wait 8-10 years. Billszone is now based in Toronto, and Discotrish has long since washed out to sea in a Methane-Based Tsunami.

But each time your kid says he'd like to change his name to something else, or that he wants to use his middle name, or can't he please please please have a nickname, you will be thinking of DISCOTRISH! The anonymous internet entity who knew better.

Patti

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Names are important business. Our civilization has been forged by men who were named by parents who had respect for themselves, their children and Western Civilization. For centuries men have carried dignified names like Ronald, Magnus, Dick, George, Arnold, Gunter, Winston and the list goes on and on. These names signify manliness. There is no mistaking a kid's upbringing when his name is Magnus, for instance. When you meet a seven year old named Magnus you know that his father was a man. You also know that his father named him. Women cannot be trusted to name boys under any circumstance.

I have literally heard women say "You can't name a child Magnus, there is no short, cute version of that name". What the **** are you talking about? Short and cute? **** all that noise. A young man should NOT have a name that can be shortened into some cutsey name. Another objection I have heard is "You can't name your child Magnus people will call him 'Maggie'". My retort "My son will have recourse to knock a kid out in that case". Point being is that if your child's name is Magnus or Dick... people will take him seriously and, more importantly, he will take himself seriously.

If you read through the most popular boy names in this country you will see real names like John, Matthew, Alexander, etc. Nothing wrong with that. If you look deeper you see name abortions like Jayden, Aiden, Jackson, Dylan, Tyler, Mason, Landon, Brayden, Austin, Aidan, Hunter, Brody, Julian..... ok enough of this, typing these names is making me ill. If your son is named any of these, you are a ****ing idiot and should have your balls cut off immediately. Why? A name like the above PROVES that you let your wife or more appropriately (in most cases I am sure) your "baby-momma" name your boy. No actual man would ever name his boy "Brayden". How is a boy named Brayden supposed to be anything but a pole smoker who loves the government and thinks guns are evil? Answer... he won't. He will major in art and think that Tofu is a legitimate protein source. As a man, he can do nothing but fail and its his parents fault.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by King Bedard

Can't let those pesky facts get in the way...
    ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
    it's Don't Tread On Me.

in charge of you
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6
    Names are important business. Our civilization has been forged by men who were named by parents who had respect for themselves, their children and Western Civilization. For centuries men have carried dignified names like Ronald, Magnus, Dick, George, Arnold, Gunter, Winston and the list goes on and on. These names signify manliness. There is no mistaking a kid's upbringing when his name is Magnus, for instance. When you meet a seven year old named Magnus you know that his father was a man. You also know that his father named him. Women cannot be trusted to name boys under any circumstance.

I have literally heard women say "You can't name a child Magnus, there is no short, cute version of that name". What the **** are you talking about? Short and cute? **** all that noise. A young man should NOT have a name that can be shortened into some cutsey name. Another objection I have heard is "You can't name your child Magnus people will call him 'Maggie'". My retort "My son will have recourse to knock a kid out in that case". Point being is that if your child's name is Magnus or Dick... people will take him seriously and, more importantly, he will take himself seriously.

If you read through the most popular boy names in this country you will see real names like John, Matthew, Alexander, etc. Nothing wrong with that. If you look deeper you see name abortions like Jayden, Aiden, Jackson, Dylan, Tyler, Mason, Landon, Brayden, Austin, Aidan, Hunter, Brody, Julian..... ok enough of this, typing these names is making me ill. If your son is named any of these, you are a ****ing idiot and should have your balls cut off immediately. Why? A name like the above PROVES that you let your wife or more appropriately (in most cases I am sure) your "baby-momma" name your boy. No actual man would ever name his boy "Brayden". How is a boy named Brayden supposed to be anything but a pole smoker who loves the government and thinks guns are evil? Answer... he won't. He will major in art and think that Tofu is a legitimate protein source. As a man, he can do nothing but fail and its his parents fault.
    Jude, then?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

For the record, my son's name is John. But we call him Jack.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by shelby
    For the record, my son's name is John. But we call him Jack.

I recommend not naming your boy Richard or any common nicknames that derive from it - even if moonie thinks it's manly. John and the derivative Jack is very cool.
    Victory for the forces of Democratic freedom
    Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy
    Ummm, McCain hasn't been inocculated as prez yet. ~ honey
    If I were to rely on You! , WHICH THANK GOD I DON'T. i would be looking at moving into a railer hose! ~ Mr. honey