• Ground Chuck
      • Jul 2009

Re: Help us decide! Baby Name

Chuck sounds good to me.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
        • Jul 2009

Are their prenatal tests now that tell you if your child is going to be gay? If so, good choices.

Comment

• T-Long
          Circling the Wagons since 1982.
          • Sep 2003

My newborn's son's name is Kaden. My wife didn't want 2 Terry's in the house, so he has Terrence as his middle name.

And btw, I like Julien
          Last edited by T-Long; 07-05-2010, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• Discotrish
            Raging hypocrite and resident troll
            • Nov 2003

I have another name story from my good olden days. When I was in college, the first week we were there, my roommate meets this guy she really likes. I hadn't met him, but she's telling me about him.

She says, "His name is Julian, but he's really nice, cute, a really great guy!" Etc. Notice the BUT. Now, there was nothing further said about that, but it was this tacit understanding that this guy had not that great of a name, but it didn't matter, he was a GREAT guy! (Confirming Lecter's point -- it doesn't really matter what your name is.) But it also speaks to my point, which is the name was a bit of an obstacle, but no matter, he was a GREAT GUY.

So I'm hearing about him for several days, Julian this Julian that (I'm just assuming on the spelling here), I saw Julian between classes, we might meet up to go out this weekend. All Julian, all the time.

Well they got together that weekend, and when she came back to our room I ask her how it went. She said, "Well, we had a great time, but the most embarrassing thing happened." I said what was that; she said, "it turns out his name isn't Julian. Well it is, but it's his LAST name, and I've been calling him Julian this whole time like an idiot! And he never corrected me. Until one of his friends did tonight."

Haha. Turns out, Julian was his LAST name, she had heard one of the guys on his floor calling him that, and just sort of picked up on it without a formal introduction, and the guy either was too embarrassed to correct her, or maybe he thought this chick just liked calling him by his last name, who knows.

The important thing in this whole story is the "BUT." It's like a red flag for this particular name. Maybe make it his last name or something. But definitely not the first name.

Patti
            Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Comment

• lordofgun
              in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Our third son is named Jude.

Also, Julien sounds like a black kid.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Discotrish
                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by lordofgun
                Our third son is named Jude.

Also, Julien sounds like a black kid.
                Well finally, we have the voice of reason here. Someone who has the actual name and experience with it. So I think if we can get a few questions answered that would be helpful, LOG:

1) Is he of middle school age or older?
                2) Does he like his name?
                3) Does he still go by that name?

I think if we can get positive answers to these questions then we can clear at least one of the names in question to be safely used by the Bedard family in spite of Discotrish rantings to the contrary.

Patti
                Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

Patti did you completely ignore the links I posted?

Where about 85% of people with both names say they like their name?
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Discotrish
                    • Nov 2003

Originally posted by King Bedard

There are only two ways this can end. One is, some friend of family member talks sense into you (or you just come to your sense naturally) and choose a nice regular boy name for your son.

Second scenario is the Julien/Jude Make Life Difficult For My Kid option is deployed. One of those labels actually ends up on the birth certificate.

Then we wait 8-10 years. Billszone is now based in Toronto, and Discotrish has long since washed out to sea in a Methane-Based Tsunami.

But each time your kid says he'd like to change his name to something else, or that he wants to use his middle name, or can't he please please please have a nickname, you will be thinking of DISCOTRISH! The anonymous internet entity who knew better.

Patti

Comment

• pmoon6
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Dec 2002

Names are important business. Our civilization has been forged by men who were named by parents who had respect for themselves, their children and Western Civilization. For centuries men have carried dignified names like Ronald, Magnus, Dick, George, Arnold, Gunter, Winston and the list goes on and on. These names signify manliness. There is no mistaking a kid's upbringing when his name is Magnus, for instance. When you meet a seven year old named Magnus you know that his father was a man. You also know that his father named him. Women cannot be trusted to name boys under any circumstance.

I have literally heard women say "You can't name a child Magnus, there is no short, cute version of that name". What the **** are you talking about? Short and cute? **** all that noise. A young man should NOT have a name that can be shortened into some cutsey name. Another objection I have heard is "You can't name your child Magnus people will call him 'Maggie'". My retort "My son will have recourse to knock a kid out in that case". Point being is that if your child's name is Magnus or Dick... people will take him seriously and, more importantly, he will take himself seriously.

If you read through the most popular boy names in this country you will see real names like John, Matthew, Alexander, etc. Nothing wrong with that. If you look deeper you see name abortions like Jayden, Aiden, Jackson, Dylan, Tyler, Mason, Landon, Brayden, Austin, Aidan, Hunter, Brody, Julian..... ok enough of this, typing these names is making me ill. If your son is named any of these, you are a ****ing idiot and should have your balls cut off immediately. Why? A name like the above PROVES that you let your wife or more appropriately (in most cases I am sure) your "baby-momma" name your boy. No actual man would ever name his boy "Brayden". How is a boy named Brayden supposed to be anything but a pole smoker who loves the government and thinks guns are evil? Answer... he won't. He will major in art and think that Tofu is a legitimate protein source. As a man, he can do nothing but fail and its his parents fault.

Comment

• rbochan
                        Zamboni Driver
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by King Bedard

Can't let those pesky facts get in the way...
                        ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
                        it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• lordofgun
                          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by pmoon6
                          Names are important business. Our civilization has been forged by men who were named by parents who had respect for themselves, their children and Western Civilization. For centuries men have carried dignified names like Ronald, Magnus, Dick, George, Arnold, Gunter, Winston and the list goes on and on. These names signify manliness. There is no mistaking a kid's upbringing when his name is Magnus, for instance. When you meet a seven year old named Magnus you know that his father was a man. You also know that his father named him. Women cannot be trusted to name boys under any circumstance.

I have literally heard women say "You can't name a child Magnus, there is no short, cute version of that name". What the **** are you talking about? Short and cute? **** all that noise. A young man should NOT have a name that can be shortened into some cutsey name. Another objection I have heard is "You can't name your child Magnus people will call him 'Maggie'". My retort "My son will have recourse to knock a kid out in that case". Point being is that if your child's name is Magnus or Dick... people will take him seriously and, more importantly, he will take himself seriously.

If you read through the most popular boy names in this country you will see real names like John, Matthew, Alexander, etc. Nothing wrong with that. If you look deeper you see name abortions like Jayden, Aiden, Jackson, Dylan, Tyler, Mason, Landon, Brayden, Austin, Aidan, Hunter, Brody, Julian..... ok enough of this, typing these names is making me ill. If your son is named any of these, you are a ****ing idiot and should have your balls cut off immediately. Why? A name like the above PROVES that you let your wife or more appropriately (in most cases I am sure) your "baby-momma" name your boy. No actual man would ever name his boy "Brayden". How is a boy named Brayden supposed to be anything but a pole smoker who loves the government and thinks guns are evil? Answer... he won't. He will major in art and think that Tofu is a legitimate protein source. As a man, he can do nothing but fail and its his parents fault.
                          Jude, then?

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• shelby
                            The Vanilla admin
                            • Jul 2002

Comment

• shelby
                              The Vanilla admin
                              • Jul 2002

For the record, my son's name is John. But we call him Jack.

Comment

• Mercy
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by shelby
                                For the record, my son's name is John. But we call him Jack.

I recommend not naming your boy Richard or any common nicknames that derive from it - even if moonie thinks it's manly. John and the derivative Jack is very cool.
                                Victory for the forces of Democratic freedom
                                Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy

Comment

Working...
                                X