Thread: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Blaine Gabbert*(Gah-Burt), Missouri
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 240.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.71.
    Projected Round (2012):

Career Stats:
    YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
    2008 5 13 43 38.5 3.31 14 0 0 1 66.25
    2009 262 445 3593 58.9 8.07 84 24 9 19 140.45

Preseason Comments:

8/19/2010- Blaine has great arm strength but can show questionable accuracy. He has developed into a more vocal leader. Source: http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/08/0...31&feedID=3708. He has average mechanics but they are a bit erratic. He doesn't throw completely over the top, its a bit side-armed. He does have a quick release, and throws with plenty of velocity. However, he may need to improve his footwork. It looks like he doesn't consistently plant on his back foot when he throws; at times he tries to just use his arms to throw and his accuracy suffers. He also is inconsistent when it comes to pointing his front foot to where he is throwing. He needs to throw the same way every time. He has good pocket awareness. Gabbert can feel the pressure and scramble. He's a unpolished prospect with loads of upside.

Comments:

9/7/2010- vs. Illinois

1st Qtr:
    14:52- Off target throw. Has a quick release but the motion is 3/4. Good zip.
    14:09- Nice job creating extra time. Throws the ball way down field but off target. A bit long. Mizzou is running a spread offense. Ha some mobility.
    4:39- Points his foot but doesn't drive with his legs as much as you would like.
    4:08- Nice throw, drills the ball to the WR along the sideline for a 1st. Its a bit high.
    3:46- Nice touch on this short pass.
    2:59- They run him and he fumbles. Has a tall thin type build. Not very muscular.
    0:35- The offense is making quick throws. He hasnt been able to show his ability to scan the field yet.
    0:16- Nice bullet on the money between defenders.

2nd Qtr:
    14:30- Rolls out and shows his arm strength with a nice deep spiral into the end zone which would have been on the money without the pass interference.
    13:41- Throws short of the 1st but he looks off his primary guy and goes to his number two.
    10:48- Fantastic job on the blitz read. Throws quick to the left where the DB came from on the blitz. Has a nice compact and quick release.
    9:17- Making a lot of short throws but he's keeping the chains moving too. Does a good job hitting the man in stride, on target, and when he got open.
    8:21- Throws this ball a bit high, but the timing was good, he had just come out of the cut.
    * Mizzou runs 4, 5 and even 6 wides almost exclusively.
    7:38- Questionable footwork on this batted throw. The toe wasn't pointed to the receiver.
    1:23- Strange looking throw but on target. He threw his right arm way back like he flicked it out there. The release was still quick and the velocity was good.
    1:10- Pump fakes and puts a bullet on his man over the intermediate middle. The release was very quick. The ball was dropped. It was thrown just above his knees, a catch-able ball.
    1:00- Takes a big sack. He feels the pressure very well and rolls out of the initial hit. But, he tries to run away instead of throwing it away and losses more yards. Upon reply, Gabbert could have stayed in the pocket a bit longer.

3rd Qtr:

11:38- Does a good job getting the ball out before the pressure gets there. They are only rushing 3 or 4, but Gabbert is getting the ball out in under 3 seconds. Most of the throws are short though.
    9:38- Highlight play. He stands in the pocket waiting for receivers to get open in the endzone. Finally he gets pressured, rolls out to his left and throws a bullet in the back of the endzone, on the run, for the TD. Fantastic throw with great zip. He's a play maker.
    8:25- Another example of getting happy feet. Needs to settle into the pocket better and wait a bit longer.
    8:14- Again he leaves the pocket early but again shows a nice ability to throw on the run on this deep out. The ball was wobbling.
    7:58- Perfect example of what footwork will do for him. He points his foot and uses his lower body to drive through the throw and throws a beautiful spiral with very good velocity and right on the money on the intermediate cross.
    6:00- Showcase of his arm strength. He throws the ball with a nice spiral 50 yards down the field. Its a bit long but it looked like the WR was held.
    1:30- Very good accuracy on this play. Again used good footwork and drilled the ball away from the defender and on the money over the middle.
    0:33- Scrambles with no pressure. It could be that he wanted a better throwing lane. Makes a short 1st down along the sideline.

4th Qtr:
    14:54- A bit to much air under the throw. It was completed but he needs to get that throw down a bit.
    13:58- Shows he has some wiggle and quickness as a runner.
    13:26- Beautiful touch on this throw in the endzone for a TD.
    11:45- Has plenty of time and shows great accuracy drilling the ball in between two defenders over the middle.
    11:08- Shows he can avoid the rush with his quickness.
    9:17- Shows he has all the arm strength you need with this intermediate out route along the sidelines.
    9:14- Throws 45 yards down field, with a tight spiral, but less than an arms length behind, to a WR with a defender draped on him. The WR drops it.
    8:32- Scrambles all over and makes a throw for a 1st down over the middle. This is not a throw he should try to make in the NFL. It was across his body. But, he again shows you what he can do on the run and how he can make plays under pressure. He throws it falling down.
    7:25- One of the few badly off target plays. Overthrows his man.
    3:45- Nice job throwing it away instead of trying to force it.

Blaine Gabbert is a very intriguing prospect. He has NFL size and maybe the best arm strength of the class. He has a very quick release but needs to show better consistency with his footwork. His accuracy is usually very good but he can be a bit off target at times. He will buy you extra time with his legs and loves to try to make plays on the run. He's a proven playmaker but should learn to hang in the pocket longer. He should also learn to not be as risky as he is with his throws on the run. But, he's successful with them so often, its hard not to keep trying it. Mizzou runs a spread offense and teams will want to see him line up under center in the off-season. Still, Gabbert can make all the throws, makes good decisions, and keeps the chains moving. His game is still a bit unpolished but its better than Locker or Mallett was last year so its certainly fixable. He has big games mid-season against Oklahoma and Nebraska, it will be interesting to see what he does. This is the type of player who could be drafted outside of round 1 and become one of the best of the draft class with good coaching.

10/23/2010- vs. Oklahoma

1st Qtr:

11:16- What you like to see, he scrambles but still finds an open man... 1st down.
    6:32- Stands in and finds the open guy for 9 yards.
    5:11- Shows some ability to pull it down and run. He's quick for his size.
    3:59- Good feel in the pocket moves up and throws it but a bit too high.
    0:27- Threw the ball a bit high but on target and it should have been caught for a TD.
    0:22- Beautiful touch on this throw. Tight spiral.

2nd Qtr:
    11:19- Shows some ability to run... has some wiggle.
    10:18- This series is showing you his poise and touch on moving the chains with short throws.
    9:48- Threw high again on this throw.
    9:01- A bit off target throwing it too high. Could be nerves, but he's made some off target throws so far.
    2:47- Feels the pressure, steps up into the pocket and drills it with nice touch for a big first down.
    1:26- Screwed up snap, not Gabbert's fault.
    0:55- Love this throw. Its a low fast ball to the open man for a big gain.
    0:17- Flag thrown for holding. But what you like is that Gabbert makes a big play out of nothing. He has play-making ability.

3rd Qtr:
    14:16- Nice intermediate throw for a big gain.
    13:16- Nice zip on this throw. Called an INT. The ball was ripped out after the reception.
    9:47- Another nice intermediate throw.
    8:51- Nice throw a bit behind the receiver and low.

4th Qtr:
    13:57- Great zip on this 1st down throw.
    12:43- So far, thats the highlight play. Drills the ball right on the money and the receiver breaks tackles and makes the TD.
    10:52- Gutty run to move them to the 1.

Blaine wasn't special. He did his job, moved the chains, and didn't give up the ball. But, this performance was not great by any means. I think his stock should rise a bit for playing a tough D and playing so sound. But, he doesn't deserve big credit.

10/30/2010- vs. Nebraska

1st Qtr:
    14:50- Shakes the tackle and gains a few yards.
    9:30- After 2 3 and outs, makes a nice connection with his TE for a 1st.
    9:18 catch-able ball.
    8:26- Under constant pressure, another drive dead.
    5:12- Bad choice to throw to, ball deflected.
    4:30- Pulled it down early, could have waited longer in the pocket.
    2:35- Does a better job waiting in the pocket and then pulls it down for a huge 42 yard gain that was nullified on a face mask call.
    1:05- Takes a big hit and gets back up.
    0:11- Off target throw.
    0:01- Throws it deep and its picked.

2nd Qtr:
    13:01- Seems to be shaking off his bad first quarter. Mounting a nice drive.
    12:31- Nice throw with some pressure.
    12:00- Tried a touch pass lofting over the D but put too much air under it.

Links:
    http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-foo..._blaine00.html
    http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73...=1&nid=2775826
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...aae310ca3.html
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...803399b0f.html
    http://www.examiner.com/high-school-...2011-nfl-draft
    http://kansascity.sbnation.com/misso...11-will-blaine

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...pers-big-board
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...8f044e7b0.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5nGYHLeB2g
    Last edited by X-Era; 01-07-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

updated

Registered User Buffalo Thriller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I really like this guy as well
    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

X-Era props to you I have been reading alot about him from you the last month.

I will say right now that this guy is the real deal. I was listening to Sirius all day today and they think that he has the MOST upside out of all the QB'S coming out if he does. Right now they have Locker, Luck, and him the top 3......

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by tampabay25690
    X-Era props to you I have been reading alot about him from you the last month.

I will say right now that this guy is the real deal. I was listening to Sirius all day today and they think that he has the MOST upside out of all the QB'S coming out if he does. Right now they have Locker, Luck, and him the top 3......
    The Okl. game has me worried though. Its on ABC and lost of folks are looking forward to watching him. I hope he plays well. He's a lunch pail type who will come and play hard and make plays all game long. He does need to develop some more polish though and will toss it up a bit. He usually makes sound decisions, even on the run and when under pressure. He can give the offense a spark and make plays to keep drives moving. I hope that shows up this weekend... Oklahoma can rush the passer. I dont expect Mizzou to win, but I want to see a solid game from Gabbert.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era
    The Okl. game has me worried though. Its on ABC and lost of folks are looking forward to watching him. I hope he plays well. He's a lunch pail type who will come and play hard and make plays all game long. He does need to develop some more polish though and will toss it up a bit. He usually makes sound decisions, even on the run and when under pressure. He can give the offense a spark and make plays to keep drives moving. I hope that shows up this weekend... Oklahoma can rush the passer. I dont expect Mizzou to win, but I want to see a solid game from Gabbert.
    I like MIZZOU in the game...
    Big players show up in Big games....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like MIZZOU in the game...
    Big players show up in Big games....
    He scraps, no doubt about it. But they are over-matched. I just cant see a win. I can see Gabbert impressing though.

Registered User Buffalo Thriller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Gabbert is my sleeper pick, I think we could pick him up in the 2nd forsure.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Thriller
    He has to declare. I have no idea how much of a chance there is that he will. If he plays well in these next two games, I could possibly see a late 1st grade from the advisory commitee. However, his stock could rise even further if he goes back to school and comes out as a senior. He risks injury, but the difference in that 1st contract between a late 1st/early 2nd, and high 1st (if we assume he gets there) is very significant.
    Last edited by X-Era; 10-19-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I can't wait to see him play this weekend. Really looking forward to it by just going off of what you have been saying the past week or two.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Thriller
    If he comes out I see him being grabbed in the 1st now.
    Maybe a top 3 guy as QB ranking

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If he comes out I see him being grabbed in the 1st now.
    Maybe a top 3 guy as QB ranking
    IF he plays strong during the next two games, he will be moving into my top 3.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Can he play from under center or is he more of a shotgun qb?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bangarang
    Can he play from under center or is he more of a shotgun qb?
    He plays in the spread and they rarely put him under center. Teams will want to see him take snaps under center.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,002 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He plays in the spread and they rarely put him under center. Teams will want to see him take snaps under center.
    Frankly, he looks like he'd be more comfortable as a pocket passer. Don't know why, maybe its his size.

At least he doesn't really play in a one and run type of spread.

Today is a big test for him.

I dunno, he looks like a guy that does many things good, but nothing great, nothing that jumps out at you.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G
    Frankly, he looks like he'd be more comfortable as a pocket passer. Don't know why, maybe its his size.

At least he doesn't really play in a one and run type of spread.

Today is a big test for him.

I dunno, he looks like a guy that does many things good, but nothing great, nothing that jumps out at you.
    What he does really well is throw the ball and make big plays at big moments.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,002 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What he does really well is throw the ball and make big plays at big moments.
    Well, he's going to need to now. The Nebraska D is all over Mizzou right now, and unlike the Oklahoma game, he's getting pressured.

This is really a good game to evaluate him.