Thread: So what about Bruce DeHaven?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So what about Bruce DeHaven?

ST is noticeably worse this year. Worse yet, they seemed to show no improvement from the 1st pre-season game.

By all accounts, they were praticing a lot of ST in camp per Buffalo standard. Are we going back Wade Philips' "Special team plays are just a defensive play" attitude?

Dude's Little Ignorant Crony RockStar36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: So what about Bruce DeHaven?

I think they will improve over time.

We were spoiled with Bobby April to some extent, or at least spoiled with having the best in the league.

I'm willing to trade off and have a decent ST unit though if it means the offense and defense make more plays.

Just having the best ST in the league does nothing for me anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

we kept corto, stamer, 9 punt returners, guys too small to be linebackers, too slow to be safeties in the #1 ST days.

our defenses paid a price when injuries came up.

Now seem to want to have some solid offense and solid defense and get depth and then plug and play the extras on ST. i'll take that philosphy any day of the week than having to see Costanzo on our team or being sold that ellison is truly a great linebacker.

Yes, you can keep one or two ST studs like a Pike and Tasker, but building a 53 man roster around trying to be the best ST unit was a disaster...much like every thought jauron ever had.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I just posted this in another thread as an explanation for the poor special teams play thus far:

There's no arguing that the special teams have been bad. That stated, I think special teams is the most difficult part to judge during pre-season. More than the offense and defense, the special teams are flooded with players that won't be on the roster. I don't think we've seen much yet of the players that will actually be on the special teams during the regular season. It's the reason we see so many more returns for TD's league wide during the pre-season. Again, I'm not defedning the the poor play, just offering an explanation.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus
    we kept corto, stamer, 9 punt returners, guys too small to be linebackers, too slow to be safeties in the #1 ST days.
    And we need to keep Corto this season. He is currently injured, which really hurts our coverage teams.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree, you can't judge ST during preseason.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

looked like a disaster but I'm hoping that it's because DeHaven was mixing the line up and seeing who he should keep or use. I hope he got on Parrish's face. The guy was lucky he didn't get clocked.