X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Bills D playing it close to the vest?

I have been re-watching the Bills preseason games and what I am noticing is that the Bills are not giving anything away about how they plan to pressure QBs. Almost every single pass rush situation they are coming out with 4 down linemen in a basic 4-3 look with our LBs being used as DEs. No one is ever standing up coming off the edge.

It seems to me they are hiding what exactly they plan to do with Ellis and Maybin. There is no way that their pass rush consists of 4 DL, all in 3 and 4 point stances. I think in the 2 games they have played they have sent more than 4 only once or twice.

That is encouraging because our pass rush hasn't looked that sharp and I'm hoping this is why.

Also gives me more hope that we haven't seen the best of Maybin.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills D playing it close to the vest?

we shall see soon enough vs. the fins.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

I agree Mahdi. There have been very, very few blitzes. I have a hard time believing our pass defense will be as simple as rush 4 down linemen and let everyone else cover.

I believe Whitner recently said that they had installed 60-70 different blitz and coverage packages in TC to attack the QB. I don't think we've seen anything close to what the Bills plan to do on defense.
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

I am convinced that Gailey and his staff are keeping Maybin under wraps this preseason and that they expect him to generate significant pressure during the season . . .

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

if jauron was coach, i wouldn't bank on it.

but it makes sense, the defense isn't athletically superior, so the element of surprise should help here and there.

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by EDS
            I am convinced that Gailey and his staff are keeping Maybin under wraps this preseason and that they expect him to generate significant pressure during the season . . .
            I sure hope you're right, though I wouldn't count on it.

I think Ellis will have something of a breakout season, and Kelsay will probably play better than people expect.
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by trapezeus
              if jauron was coach, i wouldn't bank on it.

but it makes sense, the defense isn't athletically superior, so the element of surprise should help here and there.
              I'm sure Dick will do a bang up job coaching the DB's in Philly this year. Thank God he is gone.

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

Absolutely. They've used 4-3 nickel almost exclusively with a little 3-4 base mixed in here and there and rarely did anything outside of the basic four-man rush.
                Last edited by madness; 08-25-2010, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by psubills62
                  I sure hope you're right, though I wouldn't count on it.

I think Ellis will have something of a breakout season, and Kelsay will probably play better than people expect.
                  You are underestimating Gailey's genius.

Chan and company have slowly been setting up this scenario. Expectations will be that Ellis will be the primary rusher, so opposing teams will focus their blocking on him. This will free Maybin to utilize his speed. Expect considerable pressure and numerous sacks early in the season before teams figure out how to stop Maybin. Once that happens then the blitz packages will be rolled out.

. . .

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by EDS
                    You are underestimating Gailey's genius.

Chan and company have slowly been setting up this scenario. Expectations will be that Ellis will be the primary rusher, so opposing teams will focus their blocking on him. This will free Maybin to utilize his speed. Expect considerable pressure and numerous sacks early in the season before teams figure out how to stop Maybin. Once that happens then the blitz packages will be rolled out.

. . .
                    Ah, sorry, I didn't sense the sarcasm before
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Whether or not it works come the regular season, the pressure will come from stunts involving the LB's and the Secondary.

They're just not going to try any of it during the pre-season and we'll know nothing until the opener against Miami.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi
                        I have been re-watching the Bills preseason games and what I am noticing is that the Bills are not giving anything away about how they plan to pressure QBs. Almost every single pass rush situation they are coming out with 4 down linemen in a basic 4-3 look with our LBs being used as DEs. No one is ever standing up coming off the edge.

It seems to me they are hiding what exactly they plan to do with Ellis and Maybin. There is no way that their pass rush consists of 4 DL, all in 3 and 4 point stances. I think in the 2 games they have played they have sent more than 4 only once or twice.

That is encouraging because our pass rush hasn't looked that sharp and I'm hoping this is why.

Also gives me more hope that we haven't seen the best of Maybin.
                        Well, this has been said for several years - BUF keeping things close to the vest so as to not tip the competition off. It hasn't worked. The competition was neither scared nor fooled come regular season.

They should be working the preseason on the wrinkles they plan to use, practicing them on both sides of the ball and try to get their players acclimated.

There is nothing that any NFL team hasn't seen before - use the preseason to sharpen skills and execution.
                        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by psubills62
                          Ah, sorry, I didn't sense the sarcasm before
                          Just having fun with the situation. With a new coaching staff, new defensive scheme, no proven passrushers and no proven 3-4 NT all we can do is hope for the best.

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by madness
                            Absolutely. They've used 4-3 nickel almost exclusively with a little 3-4 base mixed in here and there and rarely did anything outside of the basic four-man rush.
                            I thought they used the 4-3 nickel against Indy because they run a 3 wide set. I thought they ran a 3-4 against Wash.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by EDS
                              Just having fun with the situation. With a new coaching staff, new defensive scheme, no proven passrushers and no proven 3-4 NT all we can do is hope for the best.
                              One thing I'd do is have one of those LBs drop a knuckle down on the LOS before the snap and let whoever is at NT do a dance. You want that interior OL to suffer some uncertainty, moments before the snap.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X