X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figster
    • Oct 2010

Penalties/ Discipline

A very interesting stat I thought folks would like to know about which in my opinion is often the signs of a very well coached football team.

The Buffalo Bills have went from 6th worse in the NFL in penalty's per game last season, averaging 6.7 penalties, to 3rd best averaging 4.9 penalties per game. Only Miami (4.0) and Atlanta (4.3) have a better ranking.

Another interesting observation is that most teams ranking high in this category are playoff caliber/ some of the best teams in the NFL.

• Bufftp
    Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: Penalties/ Discipline

It's even more impressive for coaching staff considering that we are often out manned physically and talent wise.
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Northern Stampede
      Canadian Son With A Heart Full Of Buffalo
      • Dec 2004

That statistic speaks VOLUMES about this coaching staff.. They are doing the right things, there really just is not alot of physical and mental ability and talent on this football team. Hopefully they can parlay the great job coaching ( IMO ) they have done with what they have, into a great draft and continue to build for the future the right way... But to be rated that high in that stat... The coaches are doing they're job.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
        • Jul 2003

The only problem with that theory is the Bills prior to 2009 were among the least penalized teams going and it didn't translate on the field.

In 2008, the Bills had the 2nd fewest penalties in the NFL.

In 2007, the Bills had the 7th fewest penalties in the NFL.

In 2006, the Bills had the 8th fewest penalties in the NFL.

Does that mean the Bills were "well coached" those years? The way people here talk of Jauron, most would say no.

There is more that goes into it than penalties. Jacksonville had the fewest penalties in the NFL a year ago. Green Bay had the most. which was the better team?

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by NE39

There is more that goes into it than penalties. Jacksonville had the fewest penalties in the NFL a year ago. Green Bay had the most. which was the better team?
          Agreed but for a team in transition not shooting yourself in the foot is certainly a plus.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Northern Stampede
            Canadian Son With A Heart Full Of Buffalo
            • Dec 2004

I'll give you that... You make a good point... Just saying ( IMO, and from a coaching perspective, as I too coach..) It looks to me like the Bills are SLOWLY starting to become a different team, as far as technical play goes. They are starting to do some of the right things, not all but some, and cutting down on penalties is a big one. Just looks to me from my armchair that the team is playing football now, and not pretending to. We just lack alot of physical and mental ability and talent, like I said above.. But we'll get there... And then NE better watch out... lol..

Comment

• dog14787
              • Oct 2010

The only problem with that theory is the Bills prior to 2009 were among the least penalized teams going and it didn't translate on the field.

Does that mean the Bills were "well coached" those years? The way people here talk of Jauron, most would say no.

Fewer penalties/disciplined is not going to make up for the lack of talent/experience on the win loss column, but it does however signify good coaching in my opinion.

Drafting and FA signing has been one of Buffalo's biggest problems in the past in my opinion. (poor management)

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

but I thought it was already decided that Gailey sucks because he didn't turn this team into a winner in less then a 1/2 a season ?

confused, because in politics and sports instant gratification is the only form of acceptable measurement

however my recollection of 2006 - 2008 was a team taking lots of stupid penalties. Stupid penalties have definitley been reduced this year from what i can tell. Not eliminated but reduced
                Last edited by ddaryl; 11-04-2010, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

the problem with the few penalties we've had is that they came in critical situations that cost us bigtime.
                  Last edited by justasportsfan; 11-04-2010, 01:23 PM.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• dog14787
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                    the problem with the few penalties we've had is that they came in critical situations that caused us bigtime.

The Bills are tied for 1st place in not giving up opponent penalty first downs per game.(0.4)

Last edited by Figster; 11-04-2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Good point. I think this goes to show that discipline is only one aspect of coaching, but most well coached teams are also well disciplined teams as well.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        the problem with the few penalties we've had is that they came in critical situations that caused us bigtime.
                        this was the same problem with the other jauron teams. his teams would take early in the game 3rd down penalties on decent drives. He would constantly have teams getting in 3rd and long or giving up first downs on 3rd downs.

maybe they weren't a lot of penalties, but they were killer.

it does feel like the penalties are down, especially in the last two games.

but the bills still don't take the bull by the horns. in the ravens game, they could have salted that game away with a 14-0 lead, but kicked a field goal in the redzone. that's a hallmark for the last 10 years.

Comment

• dog14787
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by better days
                          Good point. I think this goes to show that discipline is only one aspect of coaching, but most well coached teams are also well disciplined teams as well.
                          It is a very good point and after further review I find from a disciplined/penalty standpoint the Buffalo Bills for the most part have done well over the last few years with the exception of the 2009 season.

2009's poor statics on the penalty side of the equation can probably be contributed for the most part to a very inexperienced O-line.
                          Last edited by Figster; 11-04-2010, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                            I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus
                            this was the same problem with the other jauron teams. his teams would take early in the game 3rd down penalties on decent drives. He would constantly have teams getting in 3rd and long or giving up first downs on 3rd downs.

maybe they weren't a lot of penalties, but they were killer.

it does feel like the penalties are down, especially in the last two games.

but the bills still don't take the bull by the horns. in the ravens game, they could have salted that game away with a 14-0 lead, but kicked a field goal in the redzone. that's a hallmark for the last 10 years.
                            I wasn't a Jauron's decisions fan in the redzone, but he always went for the FG no matter what team we were facing. Against the Ravens, I'll take the points in every single oportunity because you may not have many of this.
                            The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• imbondz
                              Democrats are people too
                              • Jan 2003

How can an 0-7 team be a 'very well coached team'. I know it's not all coaching, but I could care less about stats until we start to win a game or two
                              My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

Working...
                              X