X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lexwhat
    • Feb 2005

Legitimate Starting QBs Aren't Found Past Early 2nd Round

Here is a list of (IMO) truly legitimate starting Quarterbacks in the NFL today, and where they were drafted. I'm referring to consistent players who can actually win you games, not caretakers. Feel free to argue.

Some are obviously borderline (or too young to judge), so I threw them in at the bottom on a different list. Anyone that lasted past pick # 36 is highlighted in Bold.

Peyton Manning -- 1st Round, Pick 1
    Eli Manning -- 1st Round, Pick 1
    Michael Vick -- 1st Round, Pick 1
    Carson Palmer -- 1st Round, Pick 1
    Donovan McNabb -- 1st Round, Pick 2
    Matt Ryan -- 1st Round, Pick 3
    Philip Rivers -- 1st Round, Pick 4
    Ben Roethlisberger -- 1st Round, Pick 11
    Joe Flacco -- 1st Round, Pick 18
    Aaron Rodgers -- 1st Round, Pick 24
    Drew Brees -- 2nd Round, Pick 32
    Brett Favre -- 2nd Round, Pick 33
    Matt Schaub -- 3rd Round, Pick 90
    Kyle Orton -- 4th Round, Pick 106
    Tom Brady -- 6th Round, Pick 199
    Tony Romo -- Undrafted

Of the 4 bolded names, only Brady and Romo are playing for the same team that originally "drafted" them. Of the non-bolded list, only McNabb, Brees, Vick, and Favre are playing for a team that didn't draft them (Eli Manning is a special case).

Moral of this story? If we want a chance to have an *ELITE* QB in today's NFL, we should draft one very early. In contrast to other positions in the Draft, QBs don't usually slip through the cracks.

Does that mean all 1st / early 2nd Round QBs will be successful? No, of course not. However, developmental QBs (taken in Round 3 or later) will rarely net you an elite starting QB anyway (although drafting them is still a smart idea, for various reasons).

Others (too early to judge, too borderline, too old, or recently retired):
    Sam Bradford -- 1st Round, Pick 1
    Matt Stafford -- 1st Round, Pick 1
    Vince Young -- 1st Round, Pick 3
    Mark Sanchez -- 1st Round, Pick 5
    Kerry Collins -- 1st Round, Pick 5
    Jay Cutler -- 1st Round, Pick 11
    Josh Freeman -- 1st Round, Pick 17
    Jason Campbell -- 1st Round, Pick 25
    Kevin Kolb -- 2nd Round, Pick 36
    Chad Henne -- 2nd Round, Pick 57
    Matt Hasselbeck -- 6th Round, Pick 184
    Bruce Gradkowski -- 6th Round, Pick 194
    Matt Cassel -- 7th Round, Pick 230
    Kurt Warner -- Undrafted
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: Legitimate Starting QBs Aren't Found Past Early 2nd Round

Originally posted by Lexwhat
    Tony Romo -- Undrafted
    Less than half of them in the top 10 eh?

So the moral of the story is, "very early" doesn't have to be the top 10
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

great thread, great thought!
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Stewie
        Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
        • Aug 2002

Here is a list of (IMO) truly legitimate starting Quarterbacks in the NFL today, and where they were drafted. I'm referring to consistent players who can actually win you games, not caretakers. Feel free to argue.

Some are obviously borderline (or too young to judge), so I threw them in at the bottom on a different list. Anyone that lasted past pick # 36 is highlighted in Bold.

Tony Romo -- Undrafted

Of the 4 bolded names, only Brady and Romo are playing for the same team that originally "drafted" them. Of the non-bolded list, only McNabb, Brees, Vick, and Favre are playing for a team that didn't draft them (Eli Manning is a special case).

Moral of this story? If we want a chance to have an *ELITE* QB in today's NFL, we should draft one very early. In contrast to other positions in the Draft, QBs don't usually slip through the cracks.

Does that mean all 1st / early 2nd Round QBs will be successful? No, of course not. However, developmental QBs (taken in Round 3 or later) will rarely net you an elite starting QB anyway (although drafting them is still a smart idea, for various reasons).

Kurt Warner -- Undrafted
        Not to be a buzzkill, but can you take this list and then the list of lower round qb's and adjust for playing time?

A first round draft pick is much more likely to get a chance to play than a sixth rounder. Would Tom Brady have ever seen the field if Mo Lewis didn't break Drew Bledsoe's rib?
        Originally posted by Topdog
        Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
        Originally posted by mercyrule
        I love Weiner.
        Originally posted by mercyrule
        also cheese

Comment

• Dr. Taylor Zaius
          Senior Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Tony Romo -- Undrafted

Kurt Warner -- Undrafted
          Good post. Luck or Mallett, welcome to Buffalo.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

I think Josh Freeman is too low on the 2nd list. I think he may be one of the best QB's in the NFL in another couple years.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

I remember looking it up, over half the starting QB's in the Super Bowl were drafted in the 1st round.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                • Jun 2009

It's a no-brainer really. If the Bills have the 1st pick they have to go qb, unless you like losing for another ten years.

The guys that really crack me up are the "lets take a wr" guys. Are you ***** kidding me ?

Comment

• Luisito23
                  Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                  • Apr 2003

Well according to some draft gurus here, a high drafted QB doesn't mean anything...Just look at Tom Brady.
                  "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                  ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                  ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                  ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Dr. Taylor Zaius
                    Senior Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                    It's a no-brainer really. If the Bills have the 1st pick they have to go qb, unless you like losing for another ten years.

The guys that really crack me up are the "lets take a wr" guys. Are you ***** kidding me ?
                    True dat.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Luisito23
                      Well according to some draft gurus here, a high drafted QB doesn't mean anything...Just look at Tom Brady.
                      Must be the same one's who want to take a wr.

Comment

• mayotm
                        • Jul 2003

What if Luck doesn't come out? Are you convinced that Mallet or somebody else is worth the first pick? If not, how is it a no-brainer?

Comment

• k-oneputt
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mayotm
                          What if Luck doesn't come out? Are you convinced that Mallet or somebody else is worth the first pick? If not, how is it a no-brainer?
                          I will be happy with Luck, Mallett, or Locker.

It's a no-brainer because you can't win in this league w/o a qb, so if you are taking a chance on a player why not one of the 1st rd. qb's ?
                          There is no guarantee any pick will pan out. Who's to say the d-linemen or wr will pan out.
                          Wr's are meaningless w/o the qb anyways. Good qb's win with any wr's they have in there. You can always find wr's.
                          Notice how our wr's are suddenly pretty good now since we have an avg. qb playing now ?
                          If you are paying 1st pick money it's best to invest in the face of the franchice/qb. I don't see any Bruce Smith's or Lawrence Taylor's in this draft.

Comment

• mayotm
                            • Jul 2003

I will be happy with Luck, Mallett, or Locker.

It's a no-brainer because you can't win in this league w/o a qb, so if you are taking a chance on a player why not one of the 1st rd. qb's ?
                            There is no guarantee any pick will pan out. Who's to say the d-linemen or wr will pan out.
                            Wr's are meaningless w/o the qb anyways. Good qb's win with any wr's they have in there. You can always find wr's.
                            Notice how our wr's are suddenly pretty good now since we have an avg. qb playing now ?
                            If you are paying 1st pick money it's best to invest in the face of the franchice/qb. I don't see any Bruce Smith's or Lawrence Taylor's in this draft.
                            I think you may be disappointed. Outside of Luck, I don't see the Bills taking a QB early in round one. It's still early in the process. Mallet or Locker could still do some things in the post season that really improves their stock. However, at this point, most "experts" don't have either rated that high. The Bills have numerous needs. They simply can't afford to miss with whoever they pick. If there is a QB good enough to take early, I'm all for it. If not, address o-line, d-line or even LB.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                              Less than half of them in the top 10 eh?

So the moral of the story is, "very early" doesn't have to be the top 10
                              That is true, it doesn't necessarily have to be top 10. However, we are going to have a very early pick in the 1st Round, so that argument is moot as it pertains to the Bills this year. We could consider trading down, but teams wanting to trade up into the Top 5 is extremely rare.

My main point was: If we want an elite QB through the draft, we shouldn't wait until later rounds to grab one, as some here have suggested. Elite QBs are simply not found that late.

Comment

Working...
                              X