Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offseason moves on defense, early thoughts

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Offseason moves on defense, early thoughts

Get serious and spend some money AND picks.

Here's a few moves I would make.

Resign Whitner- He's 4th in the league in combined tackles and is having his best season to date. Maybe a move to the 3-4 helped him become much more like what we all had hoped.

Re-sign Poz- Yes he gets injuries, but he is tied with Patrick Willis for 8th most combined tackle sin the league. He is not the problem on our D, he's an asset.

Sign David Harris- Sure NYJ would like to keep him, but they have spent a ton of money so far and may have trouble keeping him. Spend some money and add a talent like Harris next to Poz.

Sign Tamba Hali- He's finally made the conversion to OLB in the 3-4 and has had 7 or more sacks in 4 out of his 5 years in the league, he's young, and he will get better.

Sign Merriman- Many hate the move, but I like it. Even if he ends up being nothing more than a situational rusher and backup, I'm fine because I don't think he will command big money by any means at this point.

In the draft:

I would add another mid-round ILB who can shed blocks and make tackles. Derrell Smith from Syracuse is a guy I like a lot.

I would add another pass rushing OLB to push Maybin who may be on his way out. A guy like Vonn Miller, or Jeremy Beal in round 2 may be a fit.

And, I would add another 3-4 DE as a complement on the front 3. Someone who can push Stroud to the bench and add better fire against the run and pass. Bowers, or Dareus may fit that case in round 1, maybe Jurell Casey Or JJ Watt in round 2 or 3.

If we use free agency and the draft, we don't need to spend the whole draft on defense to get significantly better.
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-02-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Offseason moves on defense, early thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era
    Get serious
    That seems to be the problem since 1999.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer
    That seems to be the problem since 1999.
    Unfortunately I agree. And I don't honestly expect it to change. But I feel my list includes players that are a bit of a reach but not out of sight reaches like Julius Peppers as an example.

I think Hali is an Dwan Edwards type signing but admit Harris might be out of our realistic reach... He may be like a Bart Scott type signing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Harris and Hali? Those would be some huge names at LB. Still doubt either of them leave their current teams, especially Hali.

I'd love that free agency, don't see it happening at all though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab 1-2 ILB's and an OLB in the draft (pass-rusher, like you said). With Batten coming off of injury, Kelsay re-signed (ugh), and several other young guys like Moats and Coleman at OLB, the position will get full quickly.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62
    Harris and Hali? Those would be some huge names at LB. Still doubt either of them leave their current teams, especially Hali.

I'd love that free agency, don't see it happening at all though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab 1-2 ILB's and an OLB in the draft (pass-rusher, like you said). With Batten coming off of injury, Kelsay re-signed (ugh), and several other young guys like Moats and Coleman at OLB, the position will get full quickly.
    On Harris, NYJ may have issues resigning him with all the money they have doled out. Apparently, they are looking more at Holmes and Edwards right now:

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...dwards/3671585

On Hali, he's not an elite name. Good player, getting better, but not elite. KC may push to resign him but if they don't prior to FA, I can't see a 12+ mill franchise tag for the guy.

All of it assumes we get a new CBA as well, but for the purposes of this discussion, lets assume they do.
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-02-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

On Harris, NYJ may have issues resigning him with all the money they have doled out. Apparently, they are looking more at Holmes and Edwards right now:

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...dwards/3671585

On Hali, he's not an elite name. Good player, getting better, but not elite. KC may push to resign him but if they don't prior to FA, I can't see a 12+ mill franchise tag for the guy.

All of it assumes we get a new CBA as well, but for the purposes of this discussion, lets assume they do.
    Harris very well might not stay in NY. They've got a lot of people they need to sign to extensions. Just not sure I see him coming here if they do let him go.

Hali is not elite like Peppers, but in another year of limited UFA's, he'd command the top price easily. He's a lot better than most fans realize and is easily a Tier 1 free agent. He may not be quite worth the franchise tag, but who really is at this point? He's good enough to keep around with the tag if needed, imo. Teams have used it on less.

from rotoworld:

Chiefs GM Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley have both indicated that OLB Tamba Hali is next on the agenda for a long-term deal.

"Tamba has stated to me on numerous occasions that he'd like to retire a Kansas City Chief," Hali's agent said. "We both agreed we'd wait to see how the season progressed for the Chiefs and for Tamba. The ball is in their court." Hali's play has been All-Pro caliber this year, and he's third in the NFL with 8.0 sacks.
    Sounds like another case of they want to get an extension done but the CBA is complicating things, imo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nix has said the Bills will not sign expensive free agents. They will instead use that money to resign their own players. I could see Whittner & Poz in that plan but not Harris.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

would love it but would walk away from Poz and Whitner...no offense

i think a play making ILB with size and speed would b more ideal in a 3-4 i loved poz coming oit of PSU but he is injury prone and gets blocked in the 2nf teir way to much,,,and cant cover for ****...

Whitner blows in coverage and makes to many tackles way down feild it either means he lacks instincts for the ball carrier...or coaching has him playing 25 yards deep every play...he has done it now in 2 different dfences
    Also he cant catch LOL

i think pass rush all day in the draft unless he can draft Luck or Mallett

Defintly think a 3 yr deal for "Lights Out" we got nothing to lose

love the harris and hali pickup
    Last edited by bigbub2352; 12-02-2010 at 10:05 PM.
    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by bigbub2352
    Whitner blows in coverage and makes to many tackles way down feild it either means he lacks instincts for the ball carrier...or coaching has him playing 25 yards deep every play...he has done it now in 2 different dfences
    Also he cant catch LOL
    I've watched him at every game. He plays that far off the line of scrimmage and his first step is sideways. That's not technique; that's design. I can't fault a guy who lines up where they tell him and plays how he is told. Do you think he would have lasted this long if he intentionally defied coaches and lined up where he wanted?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm pretty sure Kiwanuka is a FA, I'd take a long look at him. Not great, but solid and won't cost much. Played SAM position so he's used to covering, played plenty of end, and is good against the run as evidenced last season when he took plenty of snaps away from Osi on run downs.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 12-02-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Harris and Hali are absolute pipe dreams. Guarentee that Hali gets 8 mil a year. 2 guys we need to look at are RT's Jeremy Trueblood and Ryan Harris. Both will most likely hit the open market and both would solidify the line. Trueblood is a better run blocker but boy can Harris pass protect. Seeing our offense he should be the one.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

if the bills did all that you just said, i could see the defense being pretty damn solid in 2011.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC
    I'm pretty sure Kiwanuka is a FA, I'd take a long look at him. Not great, but solid and won't cost much. Played SAM position so he's used to covering, played plenty of end, and is good against the run as evidenced last season when he took plenty of snaps away from Osi on run downs.
    Kiwi is another possibility. there are others like Lamar Woodley and D'Qwell Jackson.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And Burnett and Siler (SD) could do the trick at either ILB position...

Thanks
    Thanked 26,393 Times in 13,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Get serious and spend some money AND picks.

Here's a few moves I would make.

Resign Whitner- He's 4th in the league in combined tackles and is having his best season to date. Maybe a move to the 3-4 helped him become much more like what we all had hoped.

Re-sign Poz- Yes he gets injuries, but he is tied with Patrick Willis for 8th most combined tackle sin the league. He is not the problem on our D, he's an asset.

Sign David Harris- Sure NYJ would like to keep him, but they have spent a ton of money so far and may have trouble keeping him. Spend some money and add a talent like Harris next to Poz.

Sign Tamba Hali- He's finally made the conversion to OLB in the 3-4 and has had 7 or more sacks in 4 out of his 5 years in the league, he's young, and he will get better.

Sign Merriman- Many hate the move, but I like it. Even if he ends up being nothing more than a situational rusher and backup, I'm fine because I don't think he will command big money by any means at this point.

In the draft:

I would add another mid-round ILB who can shed blocks and make tackles. Derrell Smith from Syracuse is a guy I like a lot.

I would add another pass rushing OLB to push Maybin who may be on his way out. A guy like Vonn Miller, or Jeremy Beal in round 2 may be a fit.

And, I would add another 3-4 DE as a complement on the front 3. Someone who can push Stroud to the bench and add better fire against the run and pass. Bowers, or Dareus may fit that case in round 1, maybe Jurell Casey Or JJ Watt in round 2 or 3.

If we use free agency and the draft, we don't need to spend the whole draft on defense to get significantly better.
    I like the idea of adding Harris, if he's available. And we definitely need to add ILB, OLB and DE in the draft, as we suck at ILB and Stroud and Maybin will most likely be gone. Carrington is looking like a strong candidate for DE, but we would still need either depth or an upgrade to Dwan Edwards.

I don't know enough about Hali to comment on that piece.

I hate the idea of keeping Whitner and Poz. These guys are holdovers from the old regime who never lived up to expectations. They're part of the problem. Get rid of them.

As far as Merriman, I guess it depends on the cost. He has injury problems and it appears that he doesn't want to be here, so I'd be concerned about overpaying, but I'm not flat-out opposed to the idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by methos4ever
    And Burnett and Siler (SD) could do the trick at either ILB position...
    I still really like Siler, he is just stuck in a numbers game at SD.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Registered User Scumbag College's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 698 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What ever the Bills do, they have to do something to improve the linebackers on this team. They are a glaring weakness on this team and in the offseason will need to be addressed.
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreArthurMoates
    Harris and Hali are absolute pipe dreams. Guarentee that Hali gets 8 mil a year. 2 guys we need to look at are RT's Jeremy Trueblood and Ryan Harris. Both will most likely hit the open market and both would solidify the line. Trueblood is a better run blocker but boy can Harris pass protect. Seeing our offense he should be the one.
    The Bucs just IR'ed Davin Joseph & he may be available next year as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I would sign Lamar Woodley over any of those guys. Pits has huge money invested in LB and I know they will have problems resigning him

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy
    I still really like Siler, he is just stuck in a numbers game at SD.
    Saw his name on a list and remembered you liked him. I wouldn't mind him.