Forked Thread: Does anyone still think Fitz is the answer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Forked Thread: Does anyone still think Fitz is the answer?

Forked from: Does anyone still think Fitz is the answer?

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
    Wake up and smell the turnovers.
    What the hell is it with this board?

Every time Fitz has a good game, people are ready to crown him the next Jim Kelly. Then he has a bad game and everyone is ready to run him out of town.

Look, he doesn't have a lot of starts under his belt and he'll have his ups and downs. Despite his horrible performance yesterday, it's hard to blame him for this season when the D is last against the run, the highly vaunted Spiller has done nothing, our "big" FA off-season acquisition is no longer on the the team, none of our 1st round picks actually PLAY like first round picks (and at least two hardly play at all), etc.

Is Fitz the next Jim Kelly? I seriously doubt it. But is he the next Todd Collins/JP/Holcomb/Trent? I doubt that as well. I see him in the Mark Rypien/Trent Dilfer/Rich Gannon type role: He's not going to win you games on his own like Brady and Manning, but it is possible to win with him in the right circumstance.

So, what does this mean for the Bills? Well, they shouldn't pass on a QB should the right one come along, But let's consider the state of the team.

-The front 7 on D is an absolute disaster outside of Kyle Williams. Moats and Carrington are showing flashes and get a pass as rookies, but the rest of this unit is completely worthless.

-McKelvin and Florence have both struggled at times this year, and McGee can't stay healthy.

-Whitner is mediocre and Byrd has been exposed.

-While no one on our OL is horrendous, they're all pretty average and could be easily upgraded.

-While all of our WR's are decent, we still lack that one dominant player who is a true #1.

-Our TE's might be the worst in the league.

-Age is catching up with Brian Moorman

So, with the team in that state, how much of our limited resources should be devoted to gambling on a QB? We have a serviceable player. I can't say that about numerous other positions on this team.

Unfortunately, this off-season seems to be shaping up like last off season: our desperate need for a franchise QB doesn't necessarily make one available to us. The Andrew Luck pipe dream is over. So, pick your poison: gamble on a QB or stick with Fitz and pick another position of need. Neither is a very good option.

Stop overreacting to the moment and take a look at the big picture. And yes, I'm well aware of the irony of me making this statement, but that just shows you how absurd it is.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • RockStar36
    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
    • Sep 2004

Re: Forked Thread: Does anyone still think Fitz is the answer?

Fitz is good enough to start next year while a rookie QB learns the ropes from him. It's been that way since Fitz started playing well. Others saying more or less are being a tad bit ridiculous.

D & S Sports

Comment

• ZEUS
      My bedroom is covered in posters of naked men.
      • Jul 2005

Fitz had a bad game, it happens, but he's turning into a very good QB. He needs more talent around him and the defense is terrible. I agree with the OP. Gamble on a QB or stick with Fitz and build the team. A new QB just puts us starting over again. At least we have something to build around. I get a headache reading the Fitz bashing threads.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Jan 2010

just draft the top qb, please for christs sake!

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

I don't think anyone ever thought he was the answer. My question below still hasn't gotten answered from another thread.

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho
          The Bills need a QB
          The Bills need a RT.
          The Bills need a TE
          The Bills need a DT.
          The Bills need an ILB.
          The Bills need an OLB.
          The Bills need a Corner.
          The Bills need a Safety.

Once we have those I'll be happy. I don't necessarily think the Bills will get a QB before the other needs. I honestly don't care which one they get first, as long as they are worthy of the pick. If we take a QB for the sake of taking a QB and he turns into a Losman, we've set the franchise back another 5 effing years.

This is a general question towards the Billszone, not towards you necessarily Hurkey:

Where are the people that think Fitzpatrick is the answer?

I haven't heard a single person say that Fitz is all we need and that we don't need to look any further for a QB. The only thing I've heard people say, myself included, is that Fitz is capable of holding down the fort while we fill other positions of need. I'd be surprised if 2 people answer this question and say they feel Fitzpatrick needs no further evaluation to be our Franchise Quarterback.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

I disagree that building your team around a Jon Kitna-esque type player is a wise decision.

Of course this team has many holes, it has for the past 6 years.

Eventually we'll get a GM and scouting department that's worth a damn to actually bring in the right players.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
              I disagree that building your team around a Jon Kitna-esque type player is a wise decision.

Of course this team has many holes, it has for the past 6 years.

Eventually we'll get a GM and scouting department that's worth a damn to actually bring in the right players.
              who says you build the team around him? You don't always have to build the team around a QB. Many teams have built around a strong D or running game.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
                just draft the top qb, please for christs sake!
                the top QB will be long gone by the time we pick. That's part of the problem. The only way we'd get him is by giving up the few good players we have AND half our draft, which is very unwise on a team with so many holes.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  who says you build the team around him? You don't always have to build the team around a QB. Many teams have built around a strong D or running game.

Look at the offensive style we employ. The offense is centered around the QB and passing the ball. With Gaileys style of offense we need someone better than just average to lead it.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    Forked from: Does anyone still think Fitz is the answer?

What the hell is it with this board?

Every time Fitz has a good game, people are ready to crown him the next Jim Kelly. Then he has a bad game and everyone is ready to run him out of town.

Look, he doesn't have a lot of starts under his belt and he'll have his ups and downs. Despite his horrible performance yesterday, it's hard to blame him for this season when the D is last against the run, the highly vaunted Spiller has done nothing, our "big" FA off-season acquisition is no longer on the the team, none of our 1st round picks actually PLAY like first round picks (and at least two hardly play at all), etc.

Is Fitz the next Jim Kelly? I seriously doubt it. But is he the next Todd Collins/JP/Holcomb/Trent? I doubt that as well. I see him in the Mark Rypien/Trent Dilfer/Rich Gannon type role: He's not going to win you games on his own like Brady and Manning, but it is possible to win with him in the right circumstance.

So, what does this mean for the Bills? Well, they shouldn't pass on a QB should the right one come along, But let's consider the state of the team.

-The front 7 on D is an absolute disaster outside of Kyle Williams. Moats and Carrington are showing flashes and get a pass as rookies, but the rest of this unit is completely worthless.

-McKelvin and Florence have both struggled at times this year, and McGee can't stay healthy.

-Whitner is mediocre and Byrd has been exposed.

-While no one on our OL is horrendous, they're all pretty average and could be easily upgraded.

-While all of our WR's are decent, we still lack that one dominant player who is a true #1.

-Our TE's might be the worst in the league.

-Age is catching up with Brian Moorman

So, with the team in that state, how much of our limited resources should be devoted to gambling on a QB? We have a serviceable player. I can't say that about numerous other positions on this team.

Unfortunately, this off-season seems to be shaping up like last off season: our desperate need for a franchise QB doesn't necessarily make one available to us. The Andrew Luck pipe dream is over. So, pick your poison: gamble on a QB or stick with Fitz and pick another position of need. Neither is a very good option.

Stop overreacting to the moment and take a look at the big picture. And yes, I'm well aware of the irony of me making this statement, but that just shows you how absurd it is.

this is not funny guys. Who hacked OP's account?
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by justasportsfan

this is not funny guys. Who hacked OP's account?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

judging Fitz either ways is not complete. Lets see what he's made of and see how he bounces back from a bad game
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                          Look at the offensive style we employ. The offense is centered around the QB and passing the ball. With Gaileys style of offense we need someone better than just average to lead it.
                          sometimes you have to play the hand you're dealt.

It's amazing how the Pats play musical RB's/TE's/WR's, and even managed to go 11-5 with Brady injured, but one injury or lack of talent at one position dooms us to failure.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ZEUS
                            Fitz had a bad game, it happens, but he's turning into a very good QB. He needs more talent around him and the defense is terrible. I agree with the OP. Gamble on a QB or stick with Fitz and build the team. A new QB just puts us starting over again. At least we have something to build around. I get a headache reading the Fitz bashing threads.
                            We can't gamble on a QB, stick with Fitz and build the team? Where is a choice necessary? Adding a QB simply adds a potential future while still keeping our present in Fitz. Fitz is signed beyond this year.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by X-Era
                              We can't gamble on a QB, stick with Fitz and build the team? Where is a choice necessary? Adding a QB simply adds a potential future while still keeping our present in Fitz. Fitz is signed beyond this year.

However once you draft that QB, Fitz won't be extended again. His contract is up after next season. So if you draft someone in the top 2-3 rounds at QB, you're all but guaranteeing that Fitz won't be here in 2012. Unless he's gonna take around the same money to be a clipboard holder. I highly doubt that will occur and he'll want to test the market to see what his value is around the league and if he can get another starting job.

Comment

Working...
                              X