24th rated defense
    -3rd passing
    -32nd rushing
    -28th points

19th rated defense
    -2nd passing
    -30th rushing
    -16th points

~how was this year an improvement in any way? The offense was basically identical, and the defense took a step back. I'm stunned so many people are HAPPY with this... I'd call it mediocrity... but really, it's not mediocrity... it's putrid. Its not a mistake that we only won 4 games this year.
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 01-04-2011, 01:11 PM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

Re: Chan Gailey Approval Poll

I expected very little. He did better than I expected.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ingtar33
        Offense

25th rated offense
        -24th passing
        -18th rushing
        -28th points

30th rated offense
        -30th passing
        -16th rushing
        -28th points

Defense

24th rated defense
        -3rd passing
        -32nd rushing
        -28th points

19th rated defense
        -2nd passing
        -30th rushing
        -16th points

~how was this year an improvement in any way? The offense was basically identical, and the defense took a step back. I'm stunned so many people are HAPPY with this... I'd call it mediocrity... but really, it's not mediocrity... it's putrid. Its not a mistake that we only won 4 games this year.
        those stats dont totally reflect our personal improvement. what are the bills stats in 09 compared to this year, ie td passed this year compared to last...

Comment

• northernbillfan
          Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

Offense

25th rated offense
          -24th passing
          -18th rushing
          -28th points

30th rated offense
          -30th passing
          -16th rushing
          -28th points

Defense

24th rated defense
          -3rd passing
          -32nd rushing
          -28th points

19th rated defense
          -2nd passing
          -30th rushing
          -16th points

Great post. It puts a new light on this situation.

Are people blinded by the fact that the team "almost" won four more games?
          When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

I would dump him in a second if Cowher was interested.....

Comment

• northernbillfan
              Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
              I would dump him in a second if Cowher was interested.....
              I think we all would.
              When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• psubills62
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2008

Offense

25th rated offense
                -24th passing
                -18th rushing
                -28th points

30th rated offense
                -30th passing
                -16th rushing
                -28th points

Defense

24th rated defense
                -3rd passing
                -32nd rushing
                -28th points

19th rated defense
                -2nd passing
                -30th rushing
                -16th points

I don't think anyone's necessarily happy. I'm intrigued, but not happy.

Rankings don't tell the entire story. The Bills averaged 17.7 points per game this year. If you look at games where only Fitz started, that goes up to 19.9 points per game. In 2009 we scored 16.1 points per game. We increased from 4.8 yards per play to 5.1, and from 14.6 first downs per game to 16.4.

That increase in points per game is despite higher penalties and a much lower TO margin (from 82 penalties to 107, from +3 to -17 turnover differential). We also had a much tougher schedule than last year, IIRC.

There are things to like about this season and plenty of things not to like. Those last two I just mentioned (increase in penalties and turnovers) are two things that need to drastically improve. I'm still personally in wait and see mode, though I know you dislike Gailey, Ingtar.
                "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Offense

25th rated offense
                  -24th passing
                  -18th rushing
                  -28th points

30th rated offense
                  -30th passing
                  -16th rushing
                  -28th points

Defense

24th rated defense
                  -3rd passing
                  -32nd rushing
                  -28th points

19th rated defense
                  -2nd passing
                  -30th rushing
                  -16th points

I am not really sure you can say the offense was the same when they let their best receiver go and their #3 WR. It was not the same at all. In fact, it was quite different. Saying it was identical is just flat out wrong.

The defense did take a step back. Of course the defense lost their best pass rusher and underwent a radical change in scheme. Anybody who looked at the team ahead of time had to know that the 3-4 was a bad fit for the talent on the team.

If you add in that they had a much more difficult schedule this year (2nd hardest in the NFL), then one can see why some see improvement.

You coach the game - you know that raw numbers do not always tell the entire story.

Is Gailey a genius? No. Did the team show more this year than they did under Jauron? For sure. The talent level on this team is still in 2 win level.

If you want to criticize for making a long term change on defensive scheme or not brining back TO, that is one thing. But using the numbers to tell half of the story is quite another.
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                    Dances With Buffaloes
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
                    those stats dont totally reflect our personal improvement. what are the bills stats in 09 compared to this year, ie td passed this year compared to last...

that means little... scoring was WAY up across the league this year... probably thanks to the rule changes.

that's why i compared it based on ranking... because normalizing for the league averages would be a pain in the ass... but tell you what... just for you i'll pull out a few unique NORMALIZED metrics i found on football outsider (a great site to find some interesting metrics and measurements)

one of football outsider metrics which i like is called Defense-adjusted Value Over Average (DVOA) - in short it normalizes offensive & Defensive performance over or under the average you could expect to get from playing the defenses/offenses you played that year.

so... a positive value means you did better than average (for offense, it's the reverse for the defense), a negative value means you played worse than average (reverse for defense).

In short this is a great way to normalize your team's performance over a number of years for factors such as playing a slate of poor defensive teams or weak offensive teams... and it spits out a number for your team's overall DVOA, or NFL rating of your team's general strength.

2010 -

Buffalo's overall DVOA - (-19.4%) which is good for 28th;
                    -Offense DVOA - 26th
                    -Defense DVOA - 28th
                    -Special Teams DVOA - 17th

2009 -

Buffalo's overall DVOA - (-9.3%) which was good for 24th
                    -Offensive DVOA - 29th
                    -Defensive DVOA - 8th
                    -Special Teams DVOA - 12th

take it for what it is... but the numbers, i don't think lie... now you can take their metric with a grain of salt but it seems to me last year their metric seemed to think our defense played a lot more and better offenses then it did this year... and it did noticeably better then this year.

Yet again, i raise the question, why didn't we just keep Fewell and hire Gailey on as OC? I don't think we improved much at all really... outside of a marginal improvement on offense, everywhere else you look this team got much worse.

-as a side-note... our Strength of Schedule last season was pretty much the same as this season. Last season our SOS was .570; this year it's .578
                    Last edited by Ingtar33; 01-04-2011, 01:50 PM.
                    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

that means little... scoring was WAY up across the league this year... probably thanks to the rule changes.

that's why i compared it based on ranking... because normalizing for the league averages would be a pain in the ass... but tell you what... just for you i'll pull out a few unique NORMALIZED metrics i found on football outsider (a great site to find some interesting metrics and measurements)

one of football outsider metrics which i like is called Defense-adjusted Value Over Average (DVOA) - in short it normalizes offensive & Defensive performance over or under the average you could expect to get from playing the defenses/offenses you played that year.

so... a positive value means you did better than average (for offense, it's the reverse for the defense), a negative value means you played worse than average (reverse for defense).

In short this is a great way to normalize your team's performance over a number of years for factors such as playing a slate of poor defensive teams or weak offensive teams... and it spits out a number for your team's overall DVOA, or NFL rating of your team's general strength.

2010 -

Buffalo's overall DVOA - (-19.4%) which is good for 28th;
                      -Offense DVOA - 26th
                      -Defense DVOA - 28th
                      -Special Teams DVOA - 17th

2009 -

Buffalo's overall DVOA - (-9.3%) which was good for 24th
                      -Offensive DVOA - 29th
                      -Defensive DVOA - 8th
                      -Special Teams DVOA - 12th

take it for what it is... but the numbers, i don't think lie... now you can take their metric with a grain of salt but it seems to me last year their metric seemed to think our defense played a lot more and better offenses then it did this year... and it did noticeably better then this year.

Yet again, i raise the question, why didn't we just keep Fewell and hire Gailey on as OC? I don't think we improved much at all really... outside of a marginal improvement on offense, everywhere else you look this team got much worse.

-as a side-note... our Strength of Schedule last season was pretty much the same as this season. Last season our SOS was .570; this year it's .578
                      But Chan Gailey has been so successful at his last few jobs . . .

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

Where are you getting those numbers? I just calculated our SOS from last year and I got 0.516, with 0.578 this year.

The defenses we faced this year were significantly tougher than last year.

Average Opponent Defense ranking:
                        2009: 16.2
                        2010: 11.1

On average, the defenses we faced this year ranked 11th overall (in points allowed). We played every single one of the top 4 teams once, and the 6th, 8th and 14th teams were in our division. Only two of the teams we faced were not in the top 20 (Cincinnati at 24th and Jacksonville at 27th). That's a brutal schedule for any offense.
                        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Can't judge him after 1 year with a roster that currently is in the bottom 5 in actual talent. Vince Lombardi in his prime couldn't win 5 games with this lot.

Now he gets to clean house and get his players. Hopefully, they can add some more talent in FA and especially the draft. Get young and send many of these pretending vets packing.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Same ole, same ole.

Garbage in, garbage out.

The only positive this season was the passing game because we went from a guy who was afraid to throw the ball to a guy who just didn't care.

Everywhere else the team was worse this year than last year.

Talent wise? We weren't much different outside of losing Schoebel, then again I don't think he would have done much in an inept defense lead by an inept coordinator.

Comment

• Cleve
                              • Oct 2004

Based on the results of this poll, the Bills had best be 8-8 or better next season, or there will be a lot of Zoners will egg on their collective faces.

While it appeared the Bills might be improving, the last two games of the season against teams with good records showed zero forward progress.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                              per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                                Unreachable Douche
                                • Jul 2002

The last time the Bills were this bad was 2001.

Comment

Working...
                                X