Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today is "Let Us Play Day"

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Today is "Let Us Play Day"

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/san-fran...ng-pr-campaign

Although the two sides of any labor battle have to solve their problems at the negotiating table, the public relations campaign can be equally important. While the public doesn’t exactly have a say in what the two sides agree to, a well-coordinated public relations blitz can force one side to re-examine their offers. The NFLPA is developing such a PR campaign to get the fans on their side and prevent a potential lockout that could wear down the will of the union members.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Today is "Let Us Play Day"

The longer this goes on the more I'm siding with the owners in this. The NFLPA is completely up its own ass.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dujek
    The longer this goes on the more I'm siding with the owners in this. The NFLPA is completely up its own ass.
    Just my opinion but to me both sides are at fault. Don't who I support or dislike more yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Owners will win. They have all the money and will outlast them.

This is great, and all I've done is enter my name! THRILLHO's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No one is stopping you from being paid hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars that plenty of us would LOVE to do for free.
    True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like the owners ideas myself. Cost of players salaries, increasing as much as they have, has been passed on to the fans. I am all for reducing player salary, a rookie cap, eliminate 2 preseason games.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The players don't even get guarnateed salaries in the roughest sport ever.

They sign a lot of paper contracts, but few of them realize the total value.

I'm with the players on this. The owners sit on a tv deal that pays them through the lockout. they are going to cream the players and they will get hosed.

This is greed vs greed. but the owners don't put their bodies and eventual lives on the line for our entertainment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

30 years ago i would have been on the players side no doubt.

however in 2011 these guys are getting paid millions especially first round players like maybin and spiller who have done nothing to even remotely deserve being paid more then the league minimum.

this deal should be simple

1. rookie pay scale
    2. some adjustment to pension for retired vets(guys pre 1990)
    3. better health care post career
    4. similar cap to what we had before

screw the 18 game schedule and any other minor issues

they solve that list above which in my opninion should be simple

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As Bills fans, I can't see how it's possible for us to side with the players. Blue collar (and low end white collar) fans have already been removed from most NFL (NBA, MLB) venues because we simply can't afford tickets, parking and concessions. Player salaries are a huge reason why... And, IMO, players are compensated WAY too high. I'd rather see a league where a player has to scrape out a living just like the rest of us... And a $30,000 paycheck for winning a playoff game is huge incentive.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm
    As Bills fans, I can't see how it's possible for us to side with the players. Blue collar (and low end white collar) fans have already been removed from most NFL (NBA, MLB) venues because we simply can't afford tickets, parking and concessions. Player salaries are a huge reason why... And, IMO, players are compensated WAY too high. I'd rather see a league where a player has to scrape out a living just like the rest of us... And a $30,000 paycheck for winning a playoff game is huge incentive.
    Great post and that's why I'm siding with the owners. I'm sick of how high these salaries keep going up and the tickets/parking/concessions. The fan has to pay more just to keep the players happy. That's not right. Especially when if it wasn't for us watching their games and buying stuff, these players wouldn't have jobs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh and BTW, I want to get a shirt that says "Ralph was right, Jerry! You were wrong!"

Ralph complained about the current CBA and said that he doesn't understand it, but he honestly did. I just think that he didn't understand why the owners felt they HAD to sign that contract. He foresaw some of the money problems that we are seeing now...but everyone made him out to be a villain.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sometimes I think it might be a good thing if the Bills moved... And Buffalo got a CFL franchise... SOMETIMES!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Does anyone really think that if the Owners win, ticket/parking prices will go down?

I didn't think so!

Every decision made in this should be for the best interest of the people it ultimately affects... the fan! How do "we" (the owners) lower ticket prices, provide the best possible product on the field, and the best possible game-day experience in the stadium/on tv?

If those are the questions, the answers will fill themselves in.

is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner mikemac2001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Michael82
    Oh and BTW, I want to get a shirt that says "Ralph was right, Jerry! You were wrong!"

Ralph complained about the current CBA and said that he doesn't understand it, but he honestly did. I just think that he didn't understand why the owners felt they HAD to sign that contract. He foresaw some of the money problems that we are seeing now...but everyone made him out to be a villain.

Ralph gets no love

MUCK
    FIAMI

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Pride
    Does anyone really think that if the Owners win, ticket/parking prices will go down?

I didn't think so!
    Does anybody think that if the owners don't win, that ticket/parking/concessions won't continue to skyrocket... And eventually be the root of the Bills franchise leaving Buffalo?
    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 01-18-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus
    The players don't even get guarnateed salaries in the roughest sport ever.
    NBA went to guaranteed salaries and the quality of the product quickly declined. I hope NFL learned from that example.

is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner mikemac2001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi
    NBA went to guaranteed salaries and the quality of the product quickly declined. I hope NFL learned from that example.

Good post

If i signed a 5 year deal and new i was set for 5 years would i come to work everyday at 100% no it doesnt mean i am lazy but just means i know i am ok with my position

also these guys are making so much more money 5 year 50 mill deal come on its easy to lose your focus if you know they can't touch that money.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Players salaries need to be capped. Maybe paycut is too harsh and no one will agree to it, but cap it where it is now.

Rookie cap is absolutely not negotiable. I don't care how good Sam Bradford might be eventually, but $50 million guaranteed when he had thrown a single pass is absurd. That money should have gone to current players who have actually earned it.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Everyone should get a base salary and incentive based bonuses. That system works well for the rest of us non pro-athletes, why can't it work for them too?

Want a raise? Do a good job and earn it. Want a big bonus? Be a star and earn that.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

to hate the players for their incomes is short sighted. the owners will continue to price based on demand. The prices we complain about are our own doing.

They just want more of it to themselves.

For allthose "trickle down economic" fans, pro athletes are the only ones who actually funnel the money down. they spend like they have no conscience. But that's actually good for the people around them and the escalade dealerships.

The owners on the other hand just funnel it to an offshore trading account, skip out on capital gains taxes, complain that their income shouldn't be taxed, and then take our tax money through parking subsidiaries. Tell me which is more of a social ill?