Marcell Dareus Highlights and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Re: Marcell Dareus Highlights and Discussion

Originally posted by psubills62
    Try not to be overly dramatic about ONE draft pick. It's not like the first round is the only round to get players.

Despite what you seem to think, CB IS a deficiency on this team. Jauron chose a lot of CB's, but apparently not very good ones. People can talk all they want about how our pass rush will solve the problem - that's not always true. I've seen plenty of cases where the QB throws the ball within 2 seconds and completes it.

I'm definitely someone who desperately wants to fix the OL, DL, and LB positions. That being said, when the talent is there, you take it. A lot of top-flight DE's have come from the later rounds, and a lot of top OT's have been found outside of the first round.
    CB is NOT the reason the defense is porous...not even close. When something is broken, do you try to fix the problem or just upgrade another part and hope the entire package gets better? Well, of course you fix the problem(s). Your theory and many others on here, about taking BPA, will not help this team get better...it's a nice theory, but that's all it is. The only way to get better is to get better players at positions that are HUGE problems...it's really that simple. The difference between a guy at a need position at #3 and the rankings difference between possibly the best player in this draft is minimal at best, so the BPA theory doesn't carry much water. JMO

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Nighthawk
      Umm...what is the major reason why this franchise is where it is (besides Wilson?)??? Oh yeah, because of their stupid 1st round draft picks...it's not being over dramatic...it's a fact.
      I agree with you. But the reason their draft picks were stupid is not because they drafted the wrong position, it's because they drafted the wrong player. You don't rule out certain positions just because you think others are more pressing. That's actually one reason they've got to this point.
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• ddaryl
        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
        Here is my reasoning....

1. We have already invested in the DL. We have KW who is solid, We drafted Troup in the second and Carrington in the third. We also signed Dawan Edwards who had a very good year before getting hurt. Spencer Johnson is also coming along in the new scheme.

well in this regard all I can say is. "This game is won and lost in the trenches". You never stop trying to get better at any position, but no matter what they invested in recently it obviously wasn't enough, and we can definitely get better.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ed
          I think Nix will address the run by getting better LB's. There's no question that they were our weakest unit on D and are a critical component of the 3-4. Also, if Nix was willing to invest 2nd and 3rd round picks in Troup and Carrington, he's gotta believe that they are going to develop and grow into very solid players.
          I agree that our lb'ing position was a problem. It doesn't seem like there's a lb'er in the draft that looks to be a Patrick Willis or is there one in FAcy? We already signed Merriman and there's still that one that went on IR (forget his name)

I'm not sure if there is one in the draft that can come in and upgrade the position right away but Dareus would be an upgrade even over Troup.

It's hard though. Nix has said he may not draft based on need but someone that can be a force for years to come. A lot of them fit the description. Green, Dareus, Peterson or maybe even a qb if they think either Gabbert or Newton .

I'm just trying to go with what we all know is the biggest problem with this team and it's stopping the run. Even they have made a big deal about it so who knows?
          Last edited by justasportsfan; 01-20-2011, 12:30 PM.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Nighthawk
            CB is NOT the reason the defense is porous...not even close. When something is broken, do you try to fix the problem or just upgrade another part and hope the entire package gets better? Well, of course you fix the problem(s). Your theory and many others on here, about taking BPA, will not help this team get better...it's a nice theory, but that's all it is. The only way to get better is to get better players at positions that are HUGE problems...it's really that simple. The difference between a guy at a need position at #3 and the rankings difference between possibly the best player in this draft is minimal at best, so the BPA theory doesn't carry much water. JMO
            Like I said before...the first round is not the only round in the draft. And yes, the BPA theory carries plenty of water.
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

If I trusted Buddy Nix to draft well I might be o.k. with taking a CB, but I don't so I think with defensive line being a weak spot, and several top defensive lineman expected to go in the top 5 of the draft, picking one of them makes the most sense.

If there was a stud linebacker or QB available I would definitely prioritize those players, but at this point I don't see a QB or LB as value at #3 overall.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by psubills62
                Like I said before...the first round is not the only round in the draft. And yes, the BPA theory carries plenty of water.
                You're not getting it... you need to say the Bills have to draft a QB in the first. Nothing else will do. If you argue with enough people on the message board about it, it is bound to happen.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

i hear all this talk about peterson.. but i thought he looked very very average in his bowl game.. a game that, at least in my mind, he really needed to shine.. he got beat for a td and really didnt stand out at all. if college players not in the nfl are doing that to him....
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                    i hear all this talk about peterson.. but i thought he looked very very average in his bowl game.. a game that, at least in my mind, he really needed to shine.. he got beat for a td and really didnt stand out at all. if college players not in the nfl are doing that to him....
                    Two things to keep in mind;
                    1. The man who beat him like a rented mule was Jeff Fuller who is one of the top WR's for next season in all of college. You'll hear his name again...alot.

2. Peterson is not at his best when playing off coverage. He needs to be at the line, he is a physical breed who is best when he can jam for five yards and then turn and run. There may not be a WR in the NFL that can outrun Peterson at this point, but he is not great at transitioning from backpedal to sprint coming off the cushion.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                      Two things to keep in mind;
                      1. The man who beat him like a rented mule was Jeff Fuller who is one of the top WR's for next season in all of college. You'll hear his name again...alot.

2. Peterson is not at his best when playing off coverage. He needs to be at the line, he is a physical breed who is best when he can jam for five yards and then turn and run. There may not be a WR in the NFL that can outrun Peterson at this point, but he is not great at transitioning from backpedal to sprint coming off the cushion.
                      I think we need a CB like Peterson if this defense is going to take the next step. If we want to be a more aggressive defense having a CB like Peterson will go a long way.

SD and NY are great examples. Both rely heavily on their CBs and the results are obvious.

I equate Peterson to this year's version of Dez Bryant. Simply a better athlete than everyone else and has the talent on top of it. Dez should have been a top 5 pick.
                      Last edited by Mahdi; 01-21-2011, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Jan 2010

dareus is a top 5 talent. he has to be the pick, its a no brainer

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

I think we need a CB like Peterson if this defense is going to take the next step. If we want to be a more aggressive defense having a CB like Peterson will go a long way.

SD and NY are great examples. Both rely heavily on their CBs and the results are obvious.

I equate Peterson to this year's version of Dez Bryant. Simply a better athlete than everyone else and has the talent on top of it. Dez should have been a top 5 pick.
                          Well, QB Sam Bradford was #1. DT Ndamukong Suh was #2.

With the 3rd pick the Bucs picked DT Gerald McCoy. They then Picked WR Arrelious Benn with their 2nd pick in the 2nd rnd & WR Mike Williams with their 4th rnd pick. As a Bucs fan, I am very happy with that draft much more so than I would have been with Dez as the 3rd pick.

With the 4th pick, the Redskins picked OT Trent Williams. The Chiefs picked S Eric Barry with the 5th pick.

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by better days
                            Well, QB Sam Bradford was #1. DT Ndamukong Suh was #2.

With the 3rd pick the Bucs picked DT Gerald McCoy. They then Picked WR Arrelious Benn with their 2nd pick in the 2nd rnd & WR Mike Williams with their 4th rnd pick. As a Bucs fan, I am very happy with that draft much more so than I would have been with Dez as the 3rd pick.

With the 4th pick, the Redskins picked OT Trent Williams. The Chiefs picked S Eric Barry with the 5th pick.
                            I don't see the correlation.

But using your example, Peterson is rated similarly to Suh and McCoy. As in, closest thing to a sure bet star as you can get.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

I don't see the correlation.

But using your example, Peterson is rated similarly to Suh and McCoy. As in, closest thing to a sure bet star as you can get.
                              I was just saying Dez Bryant was not a top 5 pick last year.

Comment

• Tatonka
                                • Jul 2002

i think he was saying dez should have been, talent wise.
                                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                                X